Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have installed long tube headers themselves what are some tips that you all might want to share with me and other members that are gonna attempt to do the install?

·
Super Moderator
13,870 Posts
I tried to find an installation video for you. This is the only one available for long tube headers. It is poorly made, however, and I doubt if you will get many tips from it- only that there is a minimum amount of room to work and the tedious process takes many hours.

Have you considered SRT-style shorty headers, instead? They are much easier to install and are ideal for the street. They will provide more low end torque than long tube headers which provide better mid-range and top end performance (primarily for racing).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've watched this video several times actually lol he has nearly the same set up I have except he went 1 7/8 primaries but I have the same cast back as he does.

Thank you for the info by the way !

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you have paitence, you can install long tubes without removing or loosensing the motor mounts...no need to move motor to access header bolts, just need dexterity, wrenches n ratchets n sockets. 3/8 & 1/2 drive, ratcheting wrenches, combination wrenches, and an extending stick magnet.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
If you have paitence, you can install long tubes without removing or loosensing the motor mounts...no need to move motor to access header bolts, just need dexterity, wrenches n ratchets n sockets. 3/8 & 1/2 drive, ratcheting wrenches, combination wrenches, and an extending stick magnet.
Having small hands is a plus as well...on the flip side if you live in a testing county it's very possible you will have issues

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I personally had issues getting the heat shields off without undoing the motor mounts. My recommendation would be a full compliments of extensions, swivels and wrenches. Knowing what i know now, i would have ordered solid motor mounts and done them at the same time.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,578 Posts
I personally had issues getting the heat shields off without undoing the motor mounts. My recommendation would be a full compliments of extensions, swivels and wrenches. Knowing what i know now, i would have ordered solid motor mounts and done them at the same time.
Yup, on my 2015 5.7 the heat shields required removal of the motor mounts. Do one side at a time, lifting the engine by a couple of inches really helps with the passenger side engine mount stud. I moved the steering shaft and starter which gives more room to maneuver my fat hands. The driver side is the easiest but the passenger side can be a PITA. Did everything from the bottom of the car while it sat on 12" wheel cribs. Also, OEM gaskets seem to work better than aftermarket. Good luck!

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/7975666-post6.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts