Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To install a set of kooks long tubes would I have to disconnect the rack and opinion from the steering column? That's what i have been told either that or fidgeting with other suspension components, also I had a man trying to tell me a tune was a necessity for the car the run after I installed the headers my self, is this true or was he just being greedy trying to get some money off of me, any help and advice is greatly appreciated

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
315 Posts
Not true in either case. They are a PITA to install and a tune will help you to maximize your gains but they can be ran without a tune... I highly recommend the Green High Flow Cats....They will keep the dreaded Check engine light away.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
You don't have to remove any engine mounts or suspension components. I did a set of long tubes for a buddies rt on just a set of car ramps. Just took about 10 hours but it was slow and steady. Defiantly needs a tune.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been looking at the BBK full-length headers and their matching short pipes with cats. With the O2 extenders, I figure it all bolts up similar to the factory, and therefore should not throw a code. However, seeing the comments now on needing a tune.

Why would just adding long-tube headers (over a set of shorties) require a tune?

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I've been looking at the BBK full-length headers and their matching short pipes with cats. With the O2 extenders, I figure it all bolts up similar to the factory, and therefore should not throw a code. However, seeing the comments now on needing a tune.

Why would just adding long-tube headers (over a set of shorties) require a tune?

When you do long tube headers they all come with high flow cats. So when you have the increase in exhaust flow the cats are not as efficient at burning the unused fuel and the rear 02s pick up on that and then tells the cars ECU that there is a lean condition, therefore you get a check engine light.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I installed KOOKS LT's & high flows(non green). I got a tune from Johan to load on to my Trinity. Did this week of Christmas. Tune has kept the codes away. Well worth the extra $$'s. If I had to do it again I would've used the gaskets supplied by kooks & not the stock gaskets.

·
Vendor
12,209 Posts
Kooks are 49 state, i almost certain there are not carb approved
luke

1 - 11 of 11 Posts