Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend of my mine is a big and long time Harley guy. Builds motors, fabricates his frames, makes his own seats, does it all when it comes to his bikes. He's got this exhaust wrap on his pipes. Says it helps cool the exhaust just a little to help with the scavenging effect, keeps the pipes cooler, and looks real nice. Have any of you guys used this type of wrap on cars? Sounds like it would help with the scavenging as he said, but also maybe keep the heat down by the tranny hump and under the floor boards. Any thoughts??

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
636 Posts
I didn't wrap mine but I am wishing I did. They are ceramic coated and I thought that was enough but the headers are putting heat on the plumbing pipes that connect my intercooler to heat exchanger. If I did it again I would look into wraps

Reactions: teddyp

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Design Engineering, Inc. is a good wrap source.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As said above, it's ceramic coating and is highly recommended. It's really worth it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Hey what's up my man?!!!! Been a way for a few weeks, if you know what I mean, lol!! Glad to be back. Back on topic. I know about the ceramic coatings and types. This was more like a material, burlap it looked liked but wasn't. It was actually hand wrapped and looked pretty cool. I figured at the least it could keep some heat away from components and out of the drivers compartment.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Hey what's up my man?!!!! Been a way for a few weeks, if you know what I mean, lol!! Glad to be back. Back on topic. I know about the ceramic coatings and types. This was more like a material, burlap it looked liked but wasn't. It was actually hand wrapped and looked pretty cool. I figured at the least it could keep some heat away from components and out of the drivers compartment.

Good to have you back. Yeah I think I know what you're talking about. I've seen those wrappings but mostly on bikes and older cars. Don't know what's it's called.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to have you back. Yeah I think I know what you're talking about. I've seen those wrappings but mostly on bikes and older cars. Don't know what's it's called.

Thanks. 1fast392 shouted out a website to check out. He knows what I meant. I site looks cool. I'll them out. Good to back man. Thanks.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reactions: 1Fast392

·
Registered
125 Posts
Based on my prior experience with cars. You want coated headers if worried about heat soak. The disadvantage to header wrap is it is prone to getting oil soaked if there is a leak. Basically it can be a fire hazard from what I understand. If it were me, I would either buy coated headers, or leave the uncoated ones alone.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Based on my prior experience with cars. You want coated headers if worried about heat soak. The disadvantage to header wrap is it is prone to getting oil soaked if there is a leak. Basically it can be a fire hazard from what I understand. If it were me, I would either buy coated headers, or leave the uncoated ones alone.

Hmm. Wow. Great point thank you. That's why I love this place.

·
Registered
413 Posts
One issue I've seen with the header wrap stuff is that it overheats and hardens the header tubes till they crack and either break off or blow chunks out of the pipe.

·
Registered
133 Posts
+1 for ceramic coated headers. If you wrap, you'll be replacing those headers sooner than you want. Ceramic keeps the heat in the exhaust, wraps keep the heat in the headers. The headers cannot withstand the temps that they experience when insulated with wrap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts