Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else experiencing annoying drone running long tube headers? My drone is bad at about 65 mph and worse after that. This is obviously cruising speeds on freeway so I want to fix it. I do have my mid mufflers on but my resonators are deleted. Does anyone know if the mid mufflers do anything for drone? I don’t want to have both mufflers and resonators on Id prefer one off for better sound. Anyone have a setup with headers no mufflers With stock resonators ?

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,295 Posts
Anyone else experiencing annoying drone running long tube headers? My drone is bad at about 65 mph and worse after that. This is obviously cruising speeds on freeway so I want to fix it. I do have my mid mufflers on but my resonators are deleted. Does anyone know if the mid mufflers do anything for drone? I don’t want to have both mufflers and resonators on Id prefer one off for better sound. Anyone have a setup with headers no mufflers With stock resonators ?
The resonators remove the drone. If you still have your resonators add those back and remove the mid mufflers. If you do a search in the forum for Mid Muffler delete you will find a few sound clips.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Resonators reduce drone. That's their purpose. Better to delete the mid mufflers and add back the resonators.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,711 Posts
Get some J-Pipes to replace the resonators. You can tune out the drone, and it's still mostly a straight through pipe, chizzle1 could tell you details

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
873 Posts
As others have said ... either put resonators back on or have J-pipes installed and tuned.

I know a few guys that kept the resonators and replaced the mid-mufflers with race-bullets. They picked up a little drone compared to stock ... but nothing compared to what happens when you delete the resonators.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,773 Posts
I see you have deleted your resos...big mistake as it will lead to major drone. Most remove the mid mufflers but leave the resos in place.

I run long tubes with corsa extreme resos but no mid mufflers and ZERO drone on my 5.7 M6 which has no active exhaust to boot.

·
Banned
97 Posts
I see you have deleted your resos...big mistake as it will lead to major drone. Most remove the mid mufflers but leave the resos in place.

I run long tubes with corsa extreme resos but no mid mufflers and ZERO drone on my 5.7 M6 which has no active exhaust to boot.
Corsa Extreme have zero drone because they have zero sound. My $2,000.00 mistake.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,773 Posts
Corsa Extreme have zero drone because they have zero sound. My $2,000.00 mistake.
Um try $1280 shipped, and yes if you keep the mid mufflers on it kills the sound. BUT remove the mids, install long tube heads and a 6.2 cam (I running FI) with more lift and exhaust duration and it sounds killer on a RT!

But if you decide to make the modification to a Scat stock system (to me that is a mistake) with corsa...then yes big mistake.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
873 Posts
You have no drone because you have a M6 and therefore no MDS system. The drone doesn't get really bad until the engine drops into 4cyl mode.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,773 Posts
You have no drone because you have a M6 and therefore no MDS system. The drone doesn't get really bad until the engine drops into 4cyl mode.
You better believe there is drone even with M6. I did the blastin bob reso delete and the drone was mind numbing at highway speeds and in traffic during light acceleration manuvers.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Um try $1280 shipped, and yes if you keep the mid mufflers on it kills the sound. BUT remove the mids, install long tube heads and a 6.2 cam (I running FI) with more lift and exhaust duration and it sounds killer on a RT!

But if you decide to make the modification to a Scat stock system (to me that is a mistake) with corsa...then yes big mistake.
Mine included tax, shipping, and installation.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,773 Posts
Mine included tax, shipping, and installation.
Mine was cost+shipping (no tax - out of state, installed myself), bought it from Speedlogix during one of their big sales. On a pre-2017 RT it makes sense to try and make the exhaust sound more...well muscle. But on a Scat, they sound great right out of the box so why futz with it except to get the exhaust valves to open when you want...like a mild to wild switch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts