Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys

Decided to do the installation myself so far I have the driver side slight tightened to hold on it's own. Now the passenger side of it... The tube fits if it wasn't for this bolt. Looks like it's from the engine mount and under neath where the altnerator sits. That bolt is preventing it to sit flush.

These are long tube headers and brand is Borla. 2012 R/T auto.

Any advice??

·
Registered
797 Posts
No experience with Borla. Can you get a picture? Unless they are for the wrong car everything should fit without alteration.

Are you having trouble getting the passenger side in place or is it just not seating right? Did you loosen/undo the motor mounts to get them in place?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Very odd...most longtubes clear that bolt reasonably well. You may need to remove the motor mount and try that. You can easily shave that bolt down if needed. How far off is it from sitting flush? Not to sound doubtful, but you sure you got the right pipes for your car?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very odd...most longtubes clear that bolt reasonably well. You may need to remove the motor mount and try that. You can easily shave that bolt down if needed. How far off is it from sitting flush? Not to sound doubtful, but you sure you got the right pipes for your car?
First thing I checked was Manuel/instructions that headers came with.. the one behind that bolt is a lot short may try that once I reinstall and shave down little

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
First, nice job on the pic! I have no problem seeing what your problem is.

Now I have no idea how important it is to have that bolt that long for future engine mount replacements or what ever other work it may have an effect on, but as it sits cutting it down to clear looks like the way to go...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had to cut both of those studs off to clear one tube on my long tude header and to get the motor mount out and back in. The bolts with the studs on them are to long to get out between the mount and inner fenderwell and they have to come out to get the engine side of the mount off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like I'll be shaving the bolts down. That bolt is only blocking the one tube also.

Last question, should I use the gaskets that come with the headers?? Or get aftermarket ones ?

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like I'll be shaving the bolts down. That bolt is only blocking the one tube also.

Last question, should I use the gaskets that come with the headers?? Or get aftermarket ones ?
I'd use stock SRT gaskets. They've been proven to be the best over the years.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yes SRT gaskets are the way to go. If you still can I would also get some locking header bolts so you don't have to worry about getting back in there later to re-torque the bolts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Agree to the above 2 comments^
Don't over torque.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I'd use stock SRT gaskets. They've been proven to be the best over the years.
Yes SRT gaskets are the way to go. If you still can I would also get some locking header bolts so you don't have to worry about getting back in there later to re-torque the bolts
Agree to the above 2 comments^
Don't over torque.
Awesome! Wouldn't happen to have a part number??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts