Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to Install some BBK Long Tube headers on my 2017 Challenger RT 5.7. I just want to know what’s better suited for me. My Challenger is pretty stock except for a CAI and a Mid Muffler Delete. But I do plan on further modifying it.

1-3/4 in. LT
1-7/8 in LT
2 in LT

Which would better suit me? And give me more bang for my buck. Also any other header suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,625 Posts
Most have been running 1-7/8, although in the earlier days 1-3/4 was the norm. I am running 2" but I am also running a supercharger.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,625 Posts
Does it throw CEL with the LT?
If you go catless...you bet. I have high flow cats and have not had any issues (running stock DTC and downstream O2 settings in the tune...except for transport delay which has been increased by 50%). I also run a set of O2 simulators from Big Daddies.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Which is better suited now is not the question. The question is what are your plans for the future with the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
689 Posts
Does anyone know how much of the stock exhaust you can use installing long tubes?

Everything after the cat pipes if you pick the right system.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have 1 3/4 on my 5.7 Challenger and I am pleased. Picked up at the drag strip. I put 1 7/8 on my ram 1500 and it killed the truck, couldn't wait to take them off which I did. 2 inch is way to big for what your doing now. I would go with 1 3/4 personally for what you are doing. My next motor I am building now I am debating 1 7/8 or 2in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Go with the 1 7/8. Leaves room for plenty of other mods and it's not too much. 2" is more for the boosted cars or fully built strokers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm running 2" long tubes from Stainless Works. I'm N/A and don't have much done. Only reason i'm doing that is because my car was used for R&D and i got them and a full cat back for free. If i had to buy a set, i'd go 1-3/4 or 1-7/8". I picked up decent HP with the 2" but you can defenitly tell that they are to big and the hp and torque curve shifted. In the future i may decide to go with a supercharger but from what i have heard the 2" headers are more for a fully built stroker that is supercharged. I'd like to downsize in the future possibly.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have Kooks 1 7/8 and high flow cats. I am happy with the increase in power, and they sound great. You will of course need a tune to see any power gains.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,625 Posts
I'm running 2" long tubes from Stainless Works. I'm N/A and don't have much done. Only reason i'm doing that is because my car was used for R&D and i got them and a full cat back for free. If i had to buy a set, i'd go 1-3/4 or 1-7/8". I picked up decent HP with the 2" but you can defenitly tell that they are to big and the hp and torque curve shifted. In the future i may decide to go with a supercharger but from what i have heard the 2" headers are more for a fully built stroker that is supercharged. I'd like to downsize in the future possibly.
I am running SW 2" headers on my SC 5.7L...haven't really noticed a loss in low end torque. I will say installing 2" is a PITA as it is really hard to get the bolts and my fat fingers around the pipes....which reminds me, I need to check the torque on those suckers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Misterg any problem installing the kooks header leaks or anything like that ? And do you think they would clear with a 2” drop without scraping the floor ?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Misterg any problem installing the kooks header leaks or anything like that ? And do you think they would clear with a 2” drop without scraping the floor ?
I did not do the install myself, so I can't offer direct experience with it. But the shop that did the work said the Kooks headers are a little easier to work with because they have a rounded collector, so hooking up the rest of the exhaust is a little easier. Getting the headers in and attached to the engine is pretty much the same as any other long tubes. At stock ride height there are no issues with clearance. I can go straight over speed bumps, driveway entrances, etc. I don't need to crab over those. With a 2" drop I think they would clear but you would need to be careful. I can measure clearance at stock ride height, if you want, and see how it applies to a drop.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,602 Posts
Cats being after you come off the wheel (like on a speed bump), more likely to be the "bottom out" point.

A Guy

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am running SW 2" headers on my SC 5.7L...haven't really noticed a loss in low end torque. I will say installing 2" is a PITA as it is really hard to get the bolts and my fat fingers around the pipes....which reminds me, I need to check the torque on those suckers.
I'm going to guess you notice that due to the supercharger. I'm N/A with only a tune. I gained torque and hp but i noticed that the curve shifted higher in the rpm band.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,625 Posts
I'm going to guess you notice that due to the supercharger. I'm N/A with only a tune. I gained torque and hp but i noticed that the curve shifted higher in the rpm band.
Probably, did you do a dyno tune? Also what size pipe catback you running...stock or 3"?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts