Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done installing kooks long tubes and high flow mid pipes . This was done on my back on jack stands in my two car garage. I did not have to remove the starter or motor mounts or lift the engine . I did have to remove the overflow and air box and dip stick and steering shaft. Steering shaft was easy on my 15 srt it required one bolt removal and it has a nice slide to disconnect the two . The passenger side is harder to get at the bolts on the oem shorties and the driver side a little easier. 10mm bolts for all the header bolts. The kooks kit comes with new stage 8 bolt kits that are really nice and extenders for the 02 sensors.i am not that thrilled with the instructions they send (actually they really stink)Car sounds awesome i need to get a tune in the spring but this was not as bad as i read online to do. I did have to expand the stock rear exhaust to fit the new midpipes but a 25.00 pipe expand kit fixed that easy. I have the mids removed and the resonators still on and it is LOUD. I may have to put some mufflers back on next spring. Overall this took a couple of days by myself. I am 52 5'6 and have small hands so that was a real plus . My car is a 15 srt

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Great write up
&
Right on brother, for doing you own wrenching!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,763 Posts
Hopefully you won't have any codes...but they usually occur when cruising on the highway. BTW I now see why the 6.4 guys have an easier time installing headers...the mounts are configured differently than the 5.7...not to mention no heat shield blocking the bolts.

6.4 engine mount

5.7 engine mount

·
Registered
119 Posts
i have a feeling installing a longtube header vs stock 392 shorty is much easier after seeing this thread. such a pain i had with 392 stock ex man on my 5.7.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Nice job !! Mine took me about 8 hours including fabbing and welding my own mid pipes. On jack stands and ramps on the grass. Same here, only thing I removed was the steering shaft, already had an lmi so that was out of the way.
I would get a tune ASAP if I was you. The car will lean out under wot and with the winter air it could be troublesome. Just food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a diablo pcm with the canned tune now but i live in Wisconsin and my car isn't going anywhere until spring . I will be loading it up on my trailer and taking it to Tim Barth in the spring for a custom tune as i know it will lean out with the long tubes. I enjoy it more now that its out of warranty and i can add stuff without worrying about the warranty

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,763 Posts
You can bump up WOT fueling by10% with diablo which should be plenty safe for the time being...part throttle is handled by the PCM. Not sure if you have emissions to deal with but if you do make sure the tuner is aware so they don't start disabling things causing the fuel monitors to stay in a not ready/incomplete state.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,679 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,763 Posts
The driver's side is the easiest IMO. Now on 5.7s there are heat shields to contend with and the passenger side engine bracket has a ridiculously long stud that make removal/install a pain. It's a shame the headers don't install as easy as say on a 2010 GT which literally only takes a couple of hours.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,763 Posts
To be honest, if a shop has done a couple of header installs I don't see it taking 8 hours. In fact, installing the driver side took me maybe 2 hours at a very slow pace...the passenger side took some more futzing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Kooks Long tubes is what I was planning on using and this really helped.
You don't have the car up very high at all. also, you mentioned you lifted the engine (with a hoist I assume) and did not have to disconnect the engine or trans mounts ? there was enough flex? you usually gotta tell me the same thing two-three times before I get it through my thick noggin!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts