Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I know it has been asked a million times before, but I am looking to upgrade the headers in my 2014 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker A5 and I have been struggling between shorty or long tube headers. I have been scrounging all over google (and this forum) getting as much info on the benefits of each. I am going catless, so will be replacing the mid pipe. I have been back and forth the past two weeks between different setups, but keep changing my mind. I thought I had it by going with the 6.1 shorty headers and a catless mid pipe, but now am starting to feel the best way to go is Ceramic Long Tubes. I am trying to keep costs down, but want to do this right the first (and only) time. A supercharger is in the future, but not for another couple years. I am going to remove the resonators on the rear and either straight pipe it or put another set of race bullets in. I do go to test and tunes at the local track, but as of now am not looking to get into racing.

Currently I have the following mods:
-Mid muffler replacement w/Dynomax race bullets
-Trinity tuner w/Hemifever tune
-Oil Catch Can

Why did you go with what you did and if it was worth it. Any info on performance would also be appreciated. Thanks all and looking forward to your replies.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
If I (I did) was going cat less I would go with Long Tubes, not give it a second thought. I bought the Stainless Works LT's but if I had it to do over I would look at Kook's or Hooker's. Stainless Works is a high quality header but very expensive. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I (I did) was going cat less I would go with Long Tubes, not give it a second thought. I bought the Stainless Works LT's but if I had it to do over I would look at Kook's or Hooker's. Stainless Works is a high quality header but very expensive. Just my 2 cents.
That's the direction I am leaning towards. Is it worth getting Kooks or Hookers instead of the BBC or JBA Ceramic coated Long tubes?

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
For performance, I agree that long tubes are preferable.

The best (and most expensive) kind are ceramic coated (interior and exterior) stainless steel. The coating will hold the heat in the pipes. The hotter exhaust may then flow more quickly. If you decide on ceramic headers, be very careful not to chip them during installation, otherwise they will rust.

The main disadvantage with uncoated stainless headers is that they transfer heat very fast to your engine bay and, unless shielded, may fry electrical components, like your starter or alternator. They will also turn blue due to the extreme heat.

·
Registered
761 Posts
JBA longtubes here and they perform and sound just as good as other challengers with higher priced and more name brand headers. I was limited to 1 3/4" however as they do not make a 1 7/8". Mine are ceramic coated and have been on for 3 years no issue.

If you are really planning on supercharging, I would look more toward 1 7/8" headers (kooks or ARH)because (my mistake) I went the cheaper route but now will probably have to swap to a larger set as my build keeps growing.

Just as a general rule, I would always recommend longtubes over shorties (especially for supercharging).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Long tubes without question. I have a set of JBA stainless long tubes and no cats with a pair of Aero Turbine mufflers. The performance is outsatnding with a custom tune. I have an Edelbrock Supercharger on plus a Jay Greene mild Cam. Plus a custom TCM. The Aero Turbine mufflers are without question the best flowing mufflers for my application, however they are very very loud. If your gonna go with a Supercharger in the future I would not buy or change anything untill you have checked with all the Supercharger manufactures because they are all set for a stock engine. Things like headers and Cams will change things so you will need a tuner with a custom tune instead of getting a Supercharger with a supplied tune by the manufacturer. Adding a Supercharger can get very expensive and complicated. I know I have spent close to $18,000 cdn. This included the Supercharger, forged pistons( a must if you don't won't to break a piston) a custom tune plus installation.
I would leave your engine absolutley stock untill you decide to Supercharge and or go N.A. This is just my 2 cents worth from personnel experience.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2013 RT Classic
532 Posts
Also a blown engine here. 5.7 stock long block. Not going to disagree with above, forged parts are best but with a good tune, stock parts can last a long time too. Unless you are only racing on a track, the minor difference between cats and no cats, really won't amount to much and without a Dino tune, you won't get more than a psychological boost in seat of the pants performance. Even blown, I have Mopar short headers and cats. The exhaust was opened to 3 inches cats back, res delete and Porter stainless steel packed mufflers.

Don't fall for advertising hype in performance gains. If they were true, we could just bolt on headers, CAI and run 6 second passes.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,602 Posts
FYI - Apparently stainless now makes a 2" primary which is pulling me away from KOOKs. Although, 2" is overkill.

·
Registered
238 Posts
After I spent a ton of money on my R/T I decided that it was all a waste cos after a speedy drive in my friends Hellcat I went out and bought one. So now I have two Challengers a 2012 R/T and a 2016 Hellcat not mention my 2013 Ram 1500 crew cab Laramie. So my advice is not to waste money on your stock Challenger but to save up and buy a new or used Hellcat, the performance is unparalleled and the engineering of the Supercharger is very advanced, no after market Supercharger comes close. If you haven't been out in a Hellcat go do it, then you will see what I mean.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After I spent a ton of money on my R/T I decided that it was all a waste cos after a speedy drive in my friends Hellcat I went out and bought one. So now I have two Challengers a 2012 R/T and a 2016 Hellcat not mention my 2013 Ram 1500 crew cab Laramie. So my advice is not to waste money on your stock Challenger but to save up and buy a new or used Hellcat, the performance is unparalleled and the engineering of the Supercharger is very advanced, no after market Supercharger comes close. If you haven't been out in a Hellcat go do it, then you will see what I mean.
As much as I would love a Hellcat or SRT, it's not affordable for me right now. At this moment, I am going NA and will evaluate in the next few years what my next step will be. This is my daily driver, but I want to get this car to 400 HP to the rear wheels. Nitrous is a not an option due to Ohio laws, so right now I have to stick to the basic bolt ons. Perhaps one day I will have my own Hellcat in the garage, but it is not in the cards right now.

I would love to go for a ride in a Hellcat just haven't had a chance to do it.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
After I spent a ton of money on my R/T I decided that it was all a waste cos after a speedy drive in my friends Hellcat I went out and bought one. So now I have two Challengers a 2012 R/T and a 2016 Hellcat not mention my 2013 Ram 1500 crew cab Laramie. So my advice is not to waste money on your stock Challenger but to save up and buy a new or used Hellcat, the performance is unparalleled and the engineering of the Supercharger is very advanced, no after market Supercharger comes close. If you haven't been out in a Hellcat go do it, then you will see what I mean.[/QUOTE
Not here to bust your bubble or anything but after driving a stock hellcat my "little" R/T would pull the paint off of the hellcat as it blowed by. The mfgs. of aftermarket SC's have come a long way since I first put a Edelbrock SC on my stock 5.7. Not even the same by no means what so ever. Since that time I changed teams to Whipple (2.9L) and upped the boost to 15.5 lbs. on a hot day (and the cubes to 392). Cold days are just, well let's just say "very special"! Go ahead pay the premium purchase cost, extra high insurance, gas guzzler tax, etc. and then wave to yourself as you meet yourself going east as one just like yours is heading west. More cubes, more boost=more hp/trq=more fun plus it's the one that "YOU" made. It's #1 of 1. Just my 2 cents. "There is always someone faster no matter what your driving". Thanks for reading.

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Its good for the industry that there are people like you and me prepared to spend tons of our hard earned money to do the crazy things to our cars. You must have spent as much on your car as it would be to buy a used Hellcat and to upgrade it to a 1ooo hp, which is my plan now. My insurance cost is no different from my Challenger or my truck as for gas guzzler tax we up here in Canada don't have that, so its a cheaper buy than upgrading my 5.7. It was suggested that I go the same route as you have gone, but I have to disagree with you as far the advancement of after market Superchargers. The engineering in the Supercharger on a Hellcat is way more advanced plus the Trans is built for the power as is the rear end, it is just a better build than anything after market. Plus it will likely hold it's value as a used car far better than yours or my 5.7 will, that's why I still have my 5.7 nobody wants to buy a modified 5.7. My 5.7 only 10,000 miles on it and has never seen rain or winter. My Hellcat has 1000 miles and has been shut away for the past 6 months, both cars won't come out till next June. Well that's all from me on this subject, happy motoring everybody and be safe.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The cost to get an RT to the point it can blow away a Hellcat (and be as reliable...) is more than just buying a Hellcat.

I do understand the cool factor of having an RT that will beat a Hellcat though...:)

But for my money, this is a much better plan:
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=t56107&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=92040&distance=50000&searchChanged=true&trimNames=SRT+Hellcat&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=185062747

Too each their own.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Do a "headers" keyword search on Youtube. You'll have a whole evening of vids. to watch and interesting things to learn.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do a "headers" keyword search on Youtube. You'll have a whole evening of vids. to watch and interesting things to learn.
I've done that already lol. I've spent many an evening looking at shorty and long tube installs. It's the indecision that is killing me. Shortys are easier to install, but Long Tubes have better gains. I am leaning Long Tubes, but struggling to decide.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Hotrod on I say. I envy guys who modify their Challengers. I have a 2 year old, 4 year old, and a baby on the way so I have zero funds or time for mods. My vintage hotrod comes out twice a year (4th of July and the "Turkey Run" show in Daytona) so I love to read about people making their factory cars faster with aftermarket parts. Go long tube with a custom tune. It's good for 25-30hp in that form. Sounds badass too. Then I can read about your car when you post the progress while I drive around in my stock (except for a catch can) Scat Pack under full warranty.

·
Registered
153 Posts
From what I have researched shorties wont provide you with that much of a hp increase. The real power is unleashed with long tubes.

Our cars esp the 392's already have high performance shorty headers so replacing them with aftermarket dont do a thing.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From what I have researched shorties wont provide you with that much of a hp increase. The real power is unleashed with long tubes.

Our cars esp the 392's already have high performance shorty headers so replacing them with aftermarket dont do a thing.
I've decided to go long tubes with cat delete. After running the costs per horsepower, the long tubes are the best bang for the buck. Already purchased the OEM Gaskets, but am waiting till Black Friday/Cyber Monday to see if any good deals pop up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've decided to go long tubes with cat delete. After running the costs per horsepower, the long tubes are the best bang for the buck. Already purchased the OEM Gaskets, but am waiting till Black Friday/Cyber Monday to see if any good deals pop up.
Nice, what setup are you going with? Rough idea of costs with install? Are you going to run a tune also?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts