Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in the Hospitial since March 24/2014 due to a Heart attack and I have been with out my car since then. My quesion for everyone is how long have you been with out your car due to medical reasons?
P.S. I am home today on a day pass and will get to spend the weekend home also it sure is nice seeing my car after all I have been thru. I was dead when the paramedics came and everyone thought I woukd not make it glad I was able to prove everyone wrong lol.
 

·
Premium Member
N/A
Joined
·
1,814 Posts
Darren hope all goes well with your health, I had similar experience after I ordering my car in April 11 2013, spent 3 days in hospital after defibrillator went off 5 times while steelhead fishing in late April, picked up car 10 days later all is good now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Good to see Darren back on here. My thanks to the docs and paramedics for taking care of you. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery and an even speedier trip down the paved asphalt of your choice.

Can't say I've been medically separated from my vehicle...drove myself into a medical facility a few times. Due to working overseas, I have had my car in storage since last March.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
Darren, glad to know you thumbed your nose at the grim reaper!

Back in '79 I bought a brand new Lancia Beta Coupe and within a week I blew out my knee and it was 3 months before I could drive again. This was before authroscopic (sp?) surgery. All I could do was stare out the window at it.

Hope you're 100% again real soon.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,032 Posts
Sorry to hear what you're going through. Thank God they were able to help you, look forward to you posting that you're home to stay. Enjoy the first drive when you're cleared to do so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,803 Posts
Darren, I'm glad to hear you're healing up. I had two hydrocephalic shunt revisions almost 2 years ago and was away from the car for 2 weeks. It was almost unbearable. Who alerted the medical staff to your condition? Someone was praying for you, that's for sure. You're a trooper!
 

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
Joined
·
1,836 Posts
I didn't get to drive mine for three weeks after a medical episode (life threatening) last October. When you get back in it you will be reminded how good it is to be "above the grass." Not to mention how much you realize how important your family is.

Glad to hear you are on the mend. As a aside, were firefighters and paramedics part of your 2nd chance team?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,634 Posts
1 week and it felt like an eternity. I drive my every day otherwise, through any weather, sunny, wet, icy or snowy.

I thank God that you are still alive! My prayers go out to you for a speedy recovery. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I know heart attacks can happen at any age but are more common for men in their 50s+. Do you think it was diet related, or is this a genetic predisposition? Just curious how I can protect myself from this, as it is one of my greatest fears.

Jay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Darren, I'm glad to hear you're healing up. I had two hydrocephalic shunt revisions almost 2 years ago and was away from the car for 2 weeks. It was almost unbearable. Who alerted the medical staff to your condition? Someone was praying for you, that's for sure. You're a trooper!
I was lucky enough that my wife was near the bathroom at 1AM when it first started her and my 17 year old son were freaking out but they were able to call 911 and 5 minutes later parametics showed up. I had no vitals when they showed up and they worked there magic and around 20 mins after it started they had me stabilized and and I was on my way to the hospital 1 month later here I am at home on a short day pass and will be home for the week end as long as today goes ok. From what everyone is telling me I was dead and had almost no chance of making it a month later here I am at home for the first time the only problem is I can not drive my car and have no idea when I will able only time will tell.
It sure was great seeing my car for the first time in a month and cant wait to get behind the wheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,803 Posts
Well, at least have your wife take a picture of you in front of it for us to document your recovery!
 
  • Like
Reactions: GIancarlo

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
141 Posts
Hope you recover Darren. I haven't been injured (thank god) but I go to school in NYC and i leave my Challenger at my home in South Carolina. Its been almost 6 months since I drove my baby. Summer can't come fast enough.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
39 Posts
Sorry to hear about your health issue...hope you fully recoup so you can continue to enjoy your car...I unfortunately know how it feels to have withdrawals...I dropped my baby off at Kenne bell 4 weeks ago as a test vehicle for their 2011-2013 R/T kit...I'm hoping to get her back soon, the only problem is that I just had shoulder surgery and still wont be able to drive it for at least another 6 weeks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
I hope you are back in the driver seat soon. :thumbsup:

I have not driven my car since July 2012 so its coming up on 2 years now. I miss it every day and spend a lot of time on this forum driving vicariously through others. On the plus side, when I return to the US I plan to get some serious engine mods done before I drive it again so I can enjoy a new more powerful car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hope you are back in the driver seat soon. :thumbsup:

I have not driven my car since July 2012 so its coming up on 2 years now. I miss it every day and spend a lot of time on this forum driving vicariously through others. On the plus side, when I return to the US I plan to get some serious engine mods done before I drive it again so I can enjoy a new more powerful car.
Wow 2 years so I Take it you are in the military I would like to thank you for keeping us safe here in North America.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 week and it felt like an eternity. I drive my every day otherwise, through any weather, sunny, wet, icy or snowy.

I thank God that you are still alive! My prayers go out to you for a speedy recovery. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I know heart attacks can happen at any age but are more common for men in their 50s+. Do you think it was diet related, or is this a genetic predisposition? Just curious how I can protect myself from this, as it is one of my greatest fears.

Jay[/QUOTE
I am 45 and I would have say it was diet related. I was a smoker and drank energy drinks daily but really who knows what may caused it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,567 Posts
Wait ..It's not my time

Wow..Am so glad your still here with us.
So I have to ask ?
Did you see the bright lite That I have heard about ? and did you see imagines of family and friends pass before you ?
:zlurking:

Enjoy your time home with your family :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow..Am so glad your still here with us.
So I have to ask ?
Did you see the bright lite That I have heard about ? and did you see imagines of family and friends pass before you ?
:zlurking:

Enjoy your time home with your family :)[/QUOT
No bright lights
or family seen I have no memory the first 9 days but from what I wastold I was in bad shape and had a 5% chance of coming out of this ordeal now almost 4 weeks later I am going home in the morning till rehab starts in a few weeks. I am at about 95% so rehab should bring me back to 100%.
Still no driving till after rehab so I am still having Challenger withdrawal lol. I have my last day here in hospital and home tomorrow but it will suck looking at my car knowing I cannot drive it for at least 3 weeks or maybe more but one the bright side I am still alive lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,032 Posts
You can at least sit in it I hope. The weather is just breaking up there I imagine.
Hope the rest of your recovery is smooth. May all your days ahead be healthy ones!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
55 Posts
Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery.

I was dealing with a back injury for the last 2 years, and it got so bad last November, I could no longer walk. Had surgery last month to fuse 3 vertebrae. Was finally able to take the car out for a short drive a couple of times last week. I'm hoping to drive the hour to the border next week to pick up some car parts, if the order finally ships this week.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top