Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
I ran the Firestone, I believe M & S tires, on my R/T. Are there any longer lasting, more grippy tires than the Goodyears?
Long lasting and grippy are oxymorons lol. But how many miles are you looking to get out of a tire? That will help decide whats a good option for you

337 Posts
Long lasting and grippy are oxymorons lol. But how many miles are you looking to get out of a tire? That will help decide whats a good option for you
Lol yeah definitely can't have it both ways with those 2 features. Those Firestone's could be great but the Goodyear Eagle F1 would really be a good contender for it

Mention You Are From The Forum For The Best Deals
Check Out The*All NEW BD-F25

Phone: (818) 362-2300
E-Mail: [email protected]

Click here and visit our pages
IG: @BDWheels
FB:
/BlaqueDiamondWheels

·
Registered
2013 R/T
230 Posts
For the money if you are going to abuse them, Atturo AZ850. Great grip, balance well, not loud, ride good. Cheap.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,719 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
I ran the Firestone i belive m and s on my rt. Are there any longer lasting more grippy than the Goodyears?
For grip I have found with a number of cars high performance (summer) tires offer the most grip save for real cold temperatures and of course snow.

And if given reasonable treatment can last a reasonable amount of time.

With various cars I have found Pirelli, Michelin or Continental, Bridgestone tires (high performance tires) to be as best I can tell equally good both in terms of grip and longevity. Michelin tires were at one point highly touted but were priced way higher than their Pirelli counterpart. But at some point the Michelin tires came down in price and I had an opportunity to try Michelin tires. They were about the equal of the Pirelli tires. That is in the same conditions I couldn't tell you which brand of tire I had on the car without getting out to look.

My 2020 Scat Pack came with Pirelli high performance tires. These are proving to be a great tire. Especially when compared to their all season version that my Hellcat came with.

If Dodge sanctions a Pirelli (or Michelin) high performance tire, summer tire, for your car to get a set. (Continental and Bridgestone while good tires are probably not sanctioned by Dodge these but they were by Porsche for my Porsche Turbo.) Either the Pirelli or Michelin tire will offer as much grip as any tire can but of course extreme cold, rain and snow diminishes the grip.

But I have had my Scat Pack out in some pretty cold temperatures with no issues. 'course I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles in all conditions (from a high of 119F to a low of below 0F and from desert dry to bucketing down rain to inches of snow) and managed. However, in the cold and in rain I slow down. I avoid snow whenever possible but a few times it was not possible. While I managed to come through with no real consequences I would advise you to not even try snow with the high performance tires.

After way too many days with the Scat Pack parked due to bad weather yesterday it got above 40F and I had to take the car out, "snow" or no "snow".

Car Land vehicle Sky Cloud Plant

Just a few hundred odd feet of this to get to the surface streets which were clear of snow and even in most areas dry. Spent nearly an hour driving the Scat Pack.

·
Super Moderator
15,445 Posts
If you are looking for an excellent ultra high performance all-weather tire, I would recommend the Cooper Zenon RS3-G1 tires. I have them on my 2009 SRT and love the performance and wear (500 AAA). Here are some reviews.

Check out the excellent reviews, below.

(376) New Cooper G1 Tires on My SRT | Dodge Challenger Forum (challengertalk.com)

Also, you can get a really good price from Discount Tire- one of our Supporting Vendors.

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
most of the time the most tires with greatest "grip" will be summer only. Which means below 40* they are a no-go for driving on them - that's one consideration.

A Goodyear Eagle F1 - I've know people that had sets were out typically 8K - 14k. One exception was someone that DD and a lot of highway and got 24k...that was a record for those.

In general a long tread life will be all-season tires. I had Nitto 555 Extremes (1st Gen, now G2 versions replaced them) and they were branded as "summer ultra high perf" and I drove them year round in Oregon and had instances of driving on 1 - 2" of snow and they did far better than the MXM4's that came stock on that first Challenger that were crap in snow and wore out in 24k. So bad were those Michelins that I couldn't get out of parking space with a layer of snow after buying snow chains at the store...

I was very happy with the NIttos gripped well, quiet and with 19k on them at the time I sold the car, had 60% tread remaining.

Reactions: choochfla1

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
605 Posts
Your criteria are polar opposites:
Most grippy = soft compound = low treadwear rating
Longest lasting = hard compound = high treadwear rating

That said, the perennial top performance tire according to tire tests and One Lap of America results would be the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S with a 300 treadwear rating and 30,000 mile warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts