Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you are like me, you do NOT like lights on in Daylight! Now we all know about turning off the Amber DRL's in the App settings, but what about those 4 bright white LED Halo rings still ON in Daytime? Woo Hoo! Finally figured it out. Look Ma, NO DRL's!

After a bit of trial and error, it turns out the white halo DRL's are controlled by Pin 14 wiring circuit (Front Sidemarkers) on the Headlight Lamp Assembly connectors. Pink wire on Passenger Side, White/Pink on Driver's Side. Running on only 1 volt, this circuit turns on led side markers at night (headlights on) or when the parking lamps are on. But in daytime (ie: headlights off and parking lights off), the same circuit supplies 12 volts for the bright DRL's halo led's.

By using a mini 15 amp step down buck voltage regulator (placed securely inside a small plastic project box) for each side and directing the Pin 14 and Pin7 (ground) cut wires in and out of the regulator, then reducing the voltage just below 5 volts (set at 4.5 volts using the pot on the regulator) which shuts the halos' off completely, yet still supplies enough voltage for the side markers to still work. The BCM does not check line sense voltage on the side marker circuit (nor the parking lamp circuit). Thus, everything else on the lighting system continues to operate normally with no warning lights etc.

You'll need:
1. Two of Drok Mini Electric Buck Voltage Converter DC to DC Step-down Transformer High Power 15A Volt Regulator Board Synchronous Inverter Module 4-32V to 1.2V-32V for 12V 24V.

Amazon.com: DROK® Mini Electric Buck Voltage Converter DC to DC Step-down Transformer High Power 15A Volt Regulator Board Synchronous Inverter Module 4-32V to 1.2V-32V for 12V 24V Adjustable LED Driver Car Laptop Power Supply: Electronics

2. Two of Hammond 1591SBK Black Flame Retardant ABS Plastic Project Box -- Inches (4.3" x 3.2" x 1.6")

Hammond 1591SBK Black Flame Retardant ABS Plastic Project Box -- Inches (4.3" x 3.2" x 1.6") mm (110mm x 82mm x 40mm) - Electrical Boxes - Amazon.com

3. Voltmeter, soldering iron, 20 gauge wire (Drok cannot handle thicker), electrical tape and/or heat shrink tubing, nuts and bolts. I used 1/4" x3/4 " hex bolts/nuts and 1/4" holed washers to attach the project box under the hood on passenger side (VHB on driver's side).. For inside the project box I used 1/2" wide pieces of wood taped down by VHB tape and tiny #4 x 3/8" screws screwed into the wood through the Drok regulator 4 corner holes.

Total Cost about $65.00-$75.00. Yeah, its a bit time consuming and a wee bit costly but much simpler/cheaper/less time consuming than removing the bumper and complete headlamp assembly for to use a Diode Dynamics kit or Oracle Kit to remotely dim or turn them off.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
+10 on ingenuity but not so much on the safety.

I am 100% against the nanny state mentality and polically, a little to the right of Atilla the Hun, but every now and then big brother does something right. Like helmet laws for example. Or seatbelts, or drl's.

In Canada here it has been law for years now that all cars have drl's. It started with bikes and moved up to cars because it works.

Of course if your state has no law against it you can turn them off and with your instructions save a trip to the dealer as well.

Reactions: LIME392

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This thread was really not intended for a pro/con of DRL's.

However, I will say that in the USA, there is NO federal or State law requiring DRL's, as much as GM would like it to be. It also here has _never_ been a proven statistically significant benefit that DRL's prevents accidents/saves lives.

Helmets and Seatbelts is indeed a statistically significant proven benefit matter.

Cheers and go Habs! :)

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
You are right about the intent of the thread, however many people read this board and you are wrong about DRL studies.

I will get out of your thread now :)

How effective are DRLs? Nearly all published reports indicate DRLs reduce multiple-vehicle daytime crashes. Evidence about DRL effects on crashes comes from studies conducted in Scandinavia, Canada, and the United States. A study examining the effect of Norway's DRL law from 1980 to 1990, found a 10 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes. A Danish study reported a 7 percent reduction in DRL-relevant crashes in the first 15 months after DRL use was required and a 37 percent decline in left-turn crashes. In a second study covering two years and 9 months of Denmark's law, there was a 6 percent reduction in daytime multiple- vehicle crashes and a 34 percent reduction in left-turn crashes. A 1994 Transport Canada study comparing 1990 model year vehicles with DRLs to 1989 vehicles without them, found that DRLs reduced relevant daytime multiple-vehicle crashes by 11 percent.

In the United States, a 1985 Institute study determined that commercial fleet passenger vehicles modified to operate with DRLs were involved in 7 percent fewer daytime multiple-vehicle crashes than similar vehicles without DRLs. A small-scale fleet study conducted in the 1960s found an 18 percent lower daytime multiple-vehicle crash rate for DRL-equipped vehicles. Multiple-vehicle daytime crashes account for about half of all police-reported crashes in the United States.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Pretty clever. Thanks for posting.

DRL's are for sissies....better still, not giving the vehicle operator the choice of them being on is lame.

Of course, what I'd really like to see mandated is the abolition of ALL fog lights. Nothing worse than morons driving around with their fog lights on when there's not a spec of fog to be seen.

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
. . . Pictures forthcoming of inside project box and mounting points under the hood.
Nice; looking forward to the pictures.

I wouldn't mind having the option to turn off the halos if your solution proves sound long-term.

And I don't like the gubberment forcing us to use helmets, etc. With that said, I always wear a helmet when riding the motorcycle and wear one while riding my bicycle too. I have religiously worn a seat belt every single time I drove a car since 1975. But I don't agree with some of the "forced" laws.

How about this? If drivers would pay attention to their driving, the daytime driving lights wouldn't be needed in any country.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I wouldn't mind having the option to turn off the halos if your solution proves sound long-term.
The 15A regulator has two mosfet's and heatsink's but they do not even get warm running output drop of 7 volts at about 5 amps. 20 gauge wire can handle 6 amps and do not get warm. How long will the regulator last? Unknown, but perhaps longer than the halos before they burn out from being so bright, lol. In any event, replacing the regulator is a 10 minute job on my install.

Reactions: bwbike

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,852 Posts

DRL's are for sissies....better still, not giving the vehicle operator the choice of them being on is lame.
Same for seat belts and helmet laws....

Seat belt laws are money driven just like "Red light Cameras" and "Radar Cameras".

·
Registered
744 Posts
Seems like a lot of work to eliminate a feature 99% of Challenger owners like plus you have a hacked wiring system although you sound like you know your way around electricity.Glad you obtained the result you were after.

·
Registered
111 Posts
They should eliminate the head light switch completely. Car on... lights on.... car off... lights off. Simple. I see too many people driving with just DRLs because they are too stupid to turn the lights on when they should. They just drive merrily along oblivious to the fact that no one behind them can see them.

How about this? If drivers would pay attention to their driving, the daytime driving lights wouldn't be needed in any country.

I would rather have DRLs because drivers DON'T pay attention... I want to be sure that they see me!

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,852 Posts
leave them in "auto mode" and don't worry about them. That's what I do, I have the DRLs off but love the look of the white rings!

On my redline 3 car, if I put yellow stripes on it, Going for Hulkamania or The Flash theme I might turn them on.

·
Registered
15,932 Posts
Good writeup Siffert, thanks for posting.

I think one of the issues with new cars is that on many the dash lights come on even with the headlights off so it's not always immediately obvious that your headlights are not on. That is something the automakers could and should fix, the dash lights must stay off til the headlights are on.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Reactions: LIME392

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Good point Slidd.

You know, of all the cars with DRL's, I think these halos on the 2015/16 Challenger look the best. You may or not be aware, but the halos dim about 50% when the parking lights or headlights are ON. Had they not made them brighter when they were OFF, I probably would not have bothered with shutting them off.

Dimming that circuit probably could be done with a DC phase PWM controller circuit board to dim them (since voltage adj just turns them off while PWM controls brightness), but that is beyond my scope, not to mention I think you have to go into the headlight assembly to do it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seems like a lot of work to eliminate a feature 99% of Challenger owners like .
99%? You know, if you took a poll of 2015/2016 Dodge Challenger owners and asked if "in the app settings would you like the option (like with the ambers DRL's) of turning ON/OFF the white halo DRL LED?".

I would think at least 50% of the owners would want that option added and probably 25% of the owners would turn them OFF. Some like ambers, some don't, some like halos, some don't, some like them both on and some like them both off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same for seat belts and helmet laws....

Seat belt laws are money driven just like "Red light Cameras" and "Radar Cameras".
Seat belt laws are NOT money-driven. They are pure safety. The chance of a fatality in an accident is reduced 43% just by buckling up. You're 30 times more likely to be ejected from your vehicle if you're not buckled. Contrary to what some morons say, you do NOT want to be "thrown clear" of the accident. You lose the protection offered from numerous airbags and a freaking safety cage designed specifically to save your ass in a wreck. Even if you survive destroying the steering column with your chest on your journey head-first through the windshield, you have to also survive hitting the ground at 45+ mph and possibly being hit by one of the cars involved. If you manage to live through all of that, statistically you're still going to be seriously injured and lucky to be able to walk again afterwards.

Also, seat belts aren't just useful DURING a wreck. They can help you avoid one to begin with by keeping you securely in your seat during sudden aggressive maneuvers to avoid hitting someone/something.

http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/seatbeltbrief/

Red light cameras, however, are absolutely about the money. Increasing yellow light times and delaying the time between Street A's red light coming on and Street B's green light coming on, even by as little as .1 or .2 seconds, has been shown to decrease the number of t-bone style accidents without the corresponding increase of rear-end accidents that accompany red light cameras at intersections. But the city can't rake in money from ticketing red light runners and people following too closely to the vehicle they rear ended by just extending yellow lights and red-green timing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you are like me, you do NOT like lights on in Daylight! Now we all know about turning off the Amber DRL's in the App settings, but what about those 4 bright white LED Halo rings still ON in Daytime? Woo Hoo! Finally figured it out. Look Ma, NO DRL's!

After a bit of trial and error, it turns out the white halo DRL's are controlled by Pin 14 wiring circuit (Front Sidemarkers) on the Headlight Lamp Assembly connectors. Pink wire on Passenger Side, White/Pink on Driver's Side. Running on only 1 volt, this circuit turns on led side markers at night (headlights on) or when the parking lamps are on. But in daytime (ie: headlights off and parking lights off), the same circuit supplies 12 volts for the bright DRL's halo led's.

By using a mini 15 amp step down buck voltage regulator (placed securely inside a small plastic project box) for each side and directing the Pin 14 and Pin7 (ground) cut wires in and out of the regulator, then reducing the voltage just below 5 volts (via the pot on the regulator) which shuts the halos' off completely, yet still supplies enough voltage for the side markers to still work. The BCM does not check line sense voltage on the side marker circuit (nor the parking lamp circuit). Thus, everything else on the lighting system continues to operate normally with no warning lights etc.

You'll need:
1. Two of Drok Mini Electric Buck Voltage Converter DC to DC Step-down Transformer High Power 15A Volt Regulator Board Synchronous Inverter Module 4-32V to 1.2V-32V for 12V 24V.

Amazon.com: DROK® Mini Electric Buck Voltage Converter DC to DC Step-down Transformer High Power 15A Volt Regulator Board Synchronous Inverter Module 4-32V to 1.2V-32V for 12V 24V Adjustable LED Driver Car Laptop Power Supply: Electronics

2. Two of Hammond 1591SBK Black Flame Retardant ABS Plastic Project Box -- Inches (4.3" x 3.2" x 1.6")

Hammond 1591SBK Black Flame Retardant ABS Plastic Project Box -- Inches (4.3" x 3.2" x 1.6") mm (110mm x 82mm x 40mm) - Electrical Boxes - Amazon.com

3. Voltmeter, soldering iron, 20 gauge wire (Drok cannot handle thicker), electrical tape and/or heat shrink tubing, nuts and bolts. I used 1/4" x3/4 " hex bolts/nuts and 1/4" holed washers to attach the project box under the hood on passenger side (VHB on driver's side).. For inside the project box I used 1/2" wide pieces of wood taped down by VHB tape and tiny #4 x 3/8" screws screwed into the wood through the Drok regulator 4 corner holes.

Total Cost about $65.00-$75.00. Yeah, its a bit time consuming and a wee bit costly but much simpler/cheaper/less time consuming than removing the bumper and complete headlamp assembly for to use a Diode Dynamics kit or Oracle Kit to remotely dim or turn them off.

Hi,

I’m looking to get the halos to be at full brightness while the parking lights are on

Do you have any idea on how to make that happen?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
That "brightness" is controlled by a module inside the headlight assembly. While you can modify the voltage for "on or off" like I did, it won't effect the brightness. You would have to disassemble the headlamp assembly and mess with the module. Level of difficulty, very high.

Diode Dynamics sells a kit with a remote that will allow you to turn them on/off at a press of a button and also the ability to control brightness level (along with the rice of changing colors) but the install requires the tear down of the headlamp assembly which is quite involved, difficult, time consuming and costly. Oracle does the same and can also do the install for you if you send your headlamps to them
(which requires removing the bumper assemblies).

In conclusion, it can be done but it is Major surgery.

·
Registered
592 Posts

Of course, what I'd really like to see mandated is the abolition of ALL fog lights. Nothing worse than morons driving around with their fog lights on when there's not a spec of fog to be seen.

I'm with you on the fog light thing. I deal with that every morning on my way to work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts