Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Challenger Scat Pack, Camaro SS ZL1. The Challengers aren't cheap. I put the ZL1 in there instead of an SS because, if I'm spending 30k on a SP, why wouldn't I just get the ZL1? Thoughts?

·
Registered
188 Posts
No question the ZL1 is quite a car. I'm not sure a Scat Pack is a fair comparison. The ZL1 is 60K and in high demand and low production numbers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why isn't it fair? They are both around the same price used, the Challenger is 2 yrs newer. The ZL1 is a 2013. I really like the interior on the 2015 Scat Packs/ SRT8's. I'm going to test drive an SS and a Scat Pack as soon as spring gets here and I can find one to drive..

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,001 Posts
So are You looking at an ss or a zl1? A challenger vs camaroe are two very different driving
Experience.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Apples and oranges. If you want a fast car with room for 4 and a useable trunk, get a Challenger.

I was going to special order a new Camaro until I drove one. Both the wife and I hated it (but we really like the looks).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still need to drive both. I really like the Challengers interior,I'm just afraid its going to feel like a giant moose. Being it has 3:92 gears stock, which is what Dodge did right, it might not feel that way. I realize the Challenger is basically a modern muscle car and the camaro is a sports car. I really like how both look.. Just for the record I have an 05 GTO , yellow..

·
Registered
32 Posts
I thought Scats had 3:09 gears stock?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Being it has 3:92 gears stock, which is what Dodge did right.
None of the Scat Pack's have 3.92 gearing. The manual has 3.91's and the autos come with 3.09's. The auto has a 4.71 1st gear in the transmission thus the reason for the 3.09's.
I thought Scats had 3:09 gears stock?
See above.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,755 Posts
Moose grows on you. Think of a moose with a rocket strapped to it's back :) Seriously, if you move from a Camaro to a Challenger, I'm sure it seems huge. I went from a 95 Grand Prix, short wheelbase, hood that sloped out of sight in front of the windshield. The Challenger seemed huge, and you couldn't see right in front of the car. Parking the 1st time was nerve wracking. But now it just feel normal, you get the feel for it pretty quick.

A Guy

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm not a tall guy and this is my 2nd Challenger and I don't think they're that big at all. Not sure why everyone seems to point that out. I mean why even point it out?? They are different cars. Here's my bet, go drive them both, I will bet you end up in the Scatpack. So many advantages over the Camaro. And power? Plenty of it on demand! Car is a beast and I love it. And its so planted to the ground, just point the nose and it follows. Feel very stable in this "stock car".

Here's the dimensions between the two cars -
Challenger - L 197.5-198" W 75.7 - 78.8 H 55.7 - 57.5
Camaro - L 190.2 W 75 H 52.9

Not really much of a difference other than the length, width is the same and the height difference will be a welcome advantage. Oh did I mention the huge trunk?

Good luck on your purchase - buy what YOU like.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
I'm not a tall guy and this is my 2nd Challenger and I don't think they're that big at all. Not sure why everyone seems to point that out. I mean why even point it out?? They are different cars. Here's my bet, go drive them both, I will bet you end up in the Scatpack. So many advantages over the Camaro. And power? Plenty of it on demand! Car is a beast and I love it. And its so planted to the ground, just point the nose and it follows. Feel very stable in this "stock car".

Here's the dimensions between the two cars -
Challenger - L 197.5-198" W 75.7 - 78.8 H 55.7 - 57.5
Camaro - L 190.2 W 75 H 52.9

Not really much of a difference other than the length, width is the same and the height difference will be a welcome advantage. Oh did I mention the huge trunk?

Good luck on your purchase - buy what YOU like.

Yeah Ive owned both and I don't get the touting of the challenger being this huge car that's got all of this room. Two things its a quite a bit heavier, and the 6inch I have found is mainly in trunk space. End of the day the challenger due to layout maybe has a bigger feel than say Camaro which is more a sports car feel. Aside from the trunk the challenger is still a two door car that's a pain to use for anything other than two people. Still a pain to get car seats out of it, still a pain for full sized adult to get in and out if.

I think if you were to compare interior space of the two they also be somewhat similar.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys.. I'm sure your right about the size.. I drove a semi for 18 yrs so, I'm sure the challenger won't be hard to acclimate to.. I am really eager to drive one with a 6 spd.. It has to be a 2015 tho. I love the newer interior.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I still need to drive both. I really like the Challengers interior,I'm just afraid its going to feel like a giant moose. Being it has 3:92 gears stock, which is what Dodge did right, it might not feel that way. I realize the Challenger is basically a modern muscle car and the camaro is a sports car. I really like how both look.. Just for the record I have an 05 GTO , yellow..
Here you go.

I sold my SP and bought an ultra low mileage and perfect Inferno Orange 2013 ZL1 6M. I liked the Camaro and SP for different reasons. Starting with power, the ZL1 being supercharged is in a different category compared to the N/A SP. If power and modifications are a top priority, you can probably stop here and just get a ZL1.

Handling is also superior, but for me living in Illinois where twisty roads are virtually non existent, some added handling prowess is a mute point.

Where the Challenger really stood out over my ZL1 was comfort, ride quality, practicality, space, visibility, exhaust note, and to me styling. Let's be clear on this too, the SP is no slouch in the performance department, which I am sure you know.

Honestly I like both. However, since both are gone now the car I still pine for is the Challenger. It's just more fun to own in my opinion. Either way, you can't go wrong. PS I had an 05 GTO as well. The Challenger in some ways reminds me of my GTO in the respect that it actually has decent interior space, and can accept adult passengers. Plus, the Challenger trunk is much larger than the tiny GTO trunk.

Also, when you say the Challenger is a big car, bare in mind so is the ZL1. In fact the curb weight of both is pretty comparable.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
Here you go.

I sold my SP and bought an ultra low mileage and perfect Inferno Orange 2013 ZL1 6M. I liked the Camaro and SP for different reasons. Starting with power, the ZL1 being supercharged is in a different category compared to the N/A SP. If power and modifications are a top priority, you can probably stop here and just get a ZL1.

Handling is also superior, but for me living in Illinois where twisty roads are virtually non existent, some added handling prowess is a mute point.

Where the Challenger really stood out over my ZL1 was comfort, ride quality, practicality, space, visibility, exhaust note, and to me styling. Let's be clear on this too, the SP is no slouch in the performance department, which I am sure you know.

Honestly I like both. However, since both are gone now the car I still pine for is the Challenger. It's just more fun to own in my opinion. Either way, you can't go wrong. PS I had an 05 GTO as well. The Challenger in some ways reminds me of my GTO in the respect that it actually has decent interior space, and can accept adult passengers. Plus, the Challenger trunk is much larger than the tiny GTO trunk.

Also, when you say the Challenger is a big car, bare in mind so is the ZL1. In fact the curb weight of both is pretty comparable.

Well said. After owning both, it comes down to what you want. Looks always play a big part in a sports car, but that's subjective. What isn't, is if you want better all around performance,handling etc, Camaro is your car. If your willing to give up some performance differs between various models of challengers as the RT at this point is almost on a different planet than a Camaro in terms of performance, but a scat is still close, in any case if your looking for a mix of comfort and performance the challenger might be for you. You start talking ZL1s, Hellcats, GT500s, those are total different ball games all together.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great info guys, I appreciate it and your both right. I sat in the back of my GTO one time and Wow, those back seats are incredible. That's why I want to drive one.. I really want to drive a Scaty.. :)

·
Premium Member
4,044 Posts
It all depends on what you want: a Sports Car (which is what Chevy calls it) like the Camaro, or a Muscle Car like the Challenger? Test drive both, you will understand. I've driven both, by renting them during vacations, the Challenger was my choice after driving both. Your results may vary. Either way, both are nice cars, have fun picking one or the other!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Drove an SS before i bought my RT...
If you’re gonna hit some canyons pretty often the camaro has tighter seats, better chassis for handling,and some more power...
The challenger as most already said, has room for 4 adults, is more of a looker (imo) , and if you’re going to spending less on a SP and like to modify cars you can get pretty damn close

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I drove a 2SS 8 speed twice (considered trading my M6 Scat Pack) and each time I got back into my Scat Pack to drive home I was like: ahhhhhh, this is home. The Challenger is very comfortable and surprisingly decent on curves as well. It handles much better than you would think. The interior trim materials and the visibility of the Camaro are what prevented me from getting one. That, and the Camaro's trunk was a joke. Oh yeah, there is no real back seat in a Camaro either; it's only decorative.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts