Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you probably have the specs known by heart on the hemi power challengers, what challengers have what engines and what they run and so on.

I just sold my 2013 Challenger SXT that I bought new back in Jan of 2013 and enjoyed making the car my own and getting it from a factory 15.2 second 1/4 mile car down to a 13.97 still naturally aspirated to a 12.80 car with some help from a supercharger.

Now I'm looking at getting a scat pack- probably a low mileage used one. I like the 485hp 6.4 hemi deal. And knowing in stock trim with addition of some drag radials it can click off some very high 11's in the 1/4.

What other Challengers can do this? Stock form with just some drag radials crack in the 11's?

I really have not paid much attention over the years to the hemi's, I just tinkered on my v6 and mostly focused on that.

So I'm now doing a little research on challengers and the hemi motors and what they can do, not sure what the challenger 392 is all about or the srt8 or what ever others are out there.

I do know this, the hellcat is out and so is the demon, that's to much money for this guy to spend.

So I'm looking at other challengers, I'm interested in a strip down base car with a hemi motor, not interested in leather seats, fancy dash screen, nothing like that. Just a challenger with a big motor that will motive down the track.

I just thought I read some where at some time, the scat pack was a bare bones car with the most naturally aspirated hp and all the others didn't compare to it's performance( except hellcat and demon of course). So that's why I kinda gravitated to getting a scat pack without much thought of any other challengers and there ability to run down the 1/4 mile.

So I guess I'm looking for some enlightenment on all the hemi challengers, never know since I'm in the market for a used hemi challenger maybe a an older model than a scat pack runs just as hard and I can get that car for a little less money in my search for another challenger.

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,026 Posts
The new R/T Scat Pack is not necessarily a bare bones car. Not like cars back in the day could be bare boned.

But the R/T Scat Pack can still be a good car, even if it has A/C, heated seats/steering wheel, power windows/door locks (these are supposed to be lighter in weight because they do not have to be super robust (and heavy) to withstand humans). My R/T Scat Pack came with the Alcantara covered seats which is a nice seat covering material. The car came with the large LCD. Not sure if the car can come without that. Seems to be a big "feature" Dodge is counting on to set it apart from other car makers/brands. (My opinion is it does set Dodge apart, but not in a good way.) And some other modern vehicle options that make a car that is used daily for such mundane things as getting to/from work, the grocery store run, and also longer drives to visit family/friends, or vacation drives, a much more pleasurable ( and safer ) vehicle to use for these tasks.

My research convinced me as good as the 5.7l engine is the 6.4l engine in the R/T Scat Pack is better and better enough to make the extra cost for the R/T Scat Pack worth it. 'course, better but with way more performance.

If you want a really bare bones car you might have to go back to an older car that back in the day could be ordered bare bones. Just the basics, with not even A/C, or even a radio. My first car, a used 1972 Datsun 510 was bare bones. 4-speed manual, no power steering or brakes (front disc, rear drum). It did come with an AM/FM radio though.

After a few years I replaced it with a used 1974 (with the redesigned body) Dodge D200 pick up and it was even more a bare bones vehicle. Just a 318CID V8, automatic, no power steering. It did have power assisted brakes (front discs, rear drums).
But no A/C. Not even a radio. Cloth seat covering. Rubber mats for floor covering. About as bare bones as they come.

Nowadays you couldn't get me into a vehicle like that if you beat me with a stick. I like performance -- owning a Hellcat (traded in my R/T Scat Pack to get it) I think makes that clear -- but I like some creature comforts too. So I embrace (so to speak) the heated seat, heated steering wheel, auto climate control A/C, all the "gauges" available in the dash (and the buggy Performance Pages application), cruise control, 4 wheel power disc brakes, 8-speed automatic, traction control, ABS, and NAVI, power adjustable outside mirrors, auto dimming mirrors, power windows, door locks, and so on.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
If your looking to do a fresh build and not a daily, why not just spend 10k less and build off a 5.7? I have no personal experience with this, but from reading around the forums, apparently the 5.7 is a better platform to build off of if you’re going blower and forged internals.

Maybe someone else with experience could chime in

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
IMO, the Scat Pack is the best "bang for the buck".

It's more than just the "392" engine in an R/T. You'll get the tuned suspension and the Brembo brakes. If you stay away from the option packages, the pricing for a base SP isn't that much more than an optioned out R/T.

Also, the 392/A8 combo just plum moves. :)

Best of luck deciding.

Reactions: Klink

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply's, maybe I should rephrase my bare bones, I enjoy the a/c and being able to drive the car to the track, I have a blown 1980 bbc camaro and I don't drive it much, it's loud as hell, makes all kinds of noises and no a/c, it drives like an old car but it has over 700 hp to play with, drives are short and I really can't take it on long trips.

So maybe what I should say, I don't need a loaded car with all those fancy electronic features or extra's if you will, if it has plain seats an a/c and simple radio I'm good with that. The thinking is to keep as light as possible and not pay for features I don't want.

Been doing some reading, looks like the 08, 09 and 2010 model years are out. I won't be looking to buy any of those cars, the biggest engine was the 6.1 and 425 hp and even with 425 hp those srt8's was being shown to run low 13's, 5 second 0-60 so I really don't want to mess with a 6.1 and start off from low 13's, this car was slower than my supercharged v6.

So it looks like the 2011 Srt-8 got a 6.4 engine and 470 hp and that seems to be the top dog of that year and 2012 and 2013, I'm seeing claims of 12.6 @ 112 mph 1/4's and I saw 12.9 @ 114, not sure if auto or manual, but it seems the srt-8 6.4 engine is at least starting of in the high 12's from the factory so maybe a car like this could be on my list of use car to buy for my next play toy.

So I'm still researching each year seeing what the top dogs was see were they stood performance wise.

·
Super Moderator
14,213 Posts
Been doing some reading, looks like the 08, 09 and 2010 model years are out. I won't be looking to buy any of those cars, the biggest engine was the 6.1 and 425 hp and even with 425 hp those srt8's was being shown to run low 13's, 5 second 0-60 so I really don't want to mess with a 6.1 and start off from low 13's, this car was slower than my supercharged v6.
Don't dismiss the 6.1 so quickly. It is a beast and responds nicely to performance upgrades. It can run a 13.0 stock with street tires. You could probably get a 2008 or 2009 with low miles for a great price. The money that you save could be used to mod the engine.

Check out this drag race between a 6.1 turbo vs. a Hellcat.

https://youtu.be/T9ZtB1dvP_0

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya your right maybe I shouldn't count out the 6.1 it can be modded, for right now I would like to go with the most cubic inches and the 6.4 is the biggest.

I just read one of the car and driver pages that said dodge claimed their 2011 srt8 392 ran 12.4 at 110 mph. car and driver couldn't match it. Not a big fan of those sort of mags and what they can do, the mags seem to be kinda all over the place on their ability to really track a car to a proper e.t. and mph.

Anyways, doing more searching on the 6.4 470 hp challengers, I have not dug into what dodge did to get another 15 hp for the 2015 model year, have not made it that far. I don't even know if the 2011- 2014 6.4 is the same engine as the 2015 6.4, just don't know what the differences are and what they did to get the 15 hp and 5 ft lbs of torque.

I still like the idea of a 2015 scat pack 6.4 485 hp and an 8 speed auto to boot. I think that will be faster than any of the 2011 to 2014 challenger 6.4 right off the bat. But if I find a great deal on a 2011 to 2014 6.4 challenger I want to know the pros and cons.

how much quicker is a scat pack 2015 vs say the 2011-2014 6.4 challenger, does the price justify it kind of deal. lot to think about, all I can do is read to find the answers.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I'd go 2015 and up myself. The 6.4 392 is a beast but doesn't like boost much. The crank is supposed to be forged but drop-in forged pistons and ported heads will give you more room to safely boost over 6 or 7 lbs. for some real fun.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Look for a 2014 Shaker or 2014 100th Anniversary Edition...both are sweet and destined to be collector items as they are numbered. I love mine...

·
Registered
130 Posts
consider the interior of the cars aswell. i had a 12 and i liked the interior but it was a vintage type look. my 16 srt is very modern looking inside. i really like them both but for different reasons. but the 6.4 is a big improvement over the 5.7! plus my 16 shifts way better than my 12 did.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,026 Posts
FYI, back on Dec. 17, 2017, I bought a new 2018 R/T Scat Pack with around $6K in options for its base price of $38995 + $1095 destination charge. Essentially I got the options for free.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
Fyi RT’s can come optioned with the brembos too ?
But the extra 100hp and ft/lbs doesnt hurt either

Yes it can, but with that option, the R/T comes even closer to what the SP package costs. For that price difference, one won't be able to build a 5.7 to run like a 392 does stock.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Yes it can, but with that option, the R/T comes even closer to what the SP package costs. For that price difference, one won't be able to build a 5.7 to run like a 392 does stock.
Very true. The only factors that might still impact a 392 purchase is that dealerships seem to get more incentives and discounts for the 5.7 R/Ts and someone may not have the cash at the present for the pricier Scat Pack but could afford to mod a 5.7 as their income accumulates.

When I picked up my last R/T Plus the dealership was more willing to discount the 5.7s vs the Scat Pack 392s on the same lot.

Scat Packs are great performance bargains for sure. Especially compared to the pre-'15 SRT8 (non Core) 392s.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I found a car that I really like, just looks awesome, the wheels and the hood and rear deck spoiler, this car is it, i go pick it up on Friday. 2015 SRT 392 fully loaded, 1 owner the car had an original sticker price o just short of 51k, totally not what I was looking for, but the looks of the car I just can't pass up.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
Congrats, and a great start for your future "hot rodding" needs!

Enjoy the beast.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
279 Posts
Well I found a car that I really like, just looks awesome, the wheels and the hood and rear deck spoiler, this car is it, i go pick it up on Friday. 2015 SRT 392 fully loaded, 1 owner the car had an original sticker price o just short of 51k, totally not what I was looking for, but the looks of the car I just can't pass up.
Great choice. You won't regret the wider rim. Gives you a little more options if you want to keep the wheels stock.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
For what you are looking for I would go 2015 and up. The scat pack in its base model doesn't have leather, but still lots of goodies, lots of guys ordered the base level scat. To be honest the base model was 37-38, probably after dickering you could probably walk out the door at 34-35 plus tax. I would imagine a 2015 entry trim level scat could probably be found with low miles under 30k at this point.

Scat pack across all of the big three IMO is probably the best bang for your buck, not the best in every category. Remember with the 6.4 if you want a blower 6psi of boost is all your doing.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For what you are looking for I would go 2015 and up. The scat pack in its base model doesn't have leather, but still lots of goodies, lots of guys ordered the base level scat. To be honest the base model was 37-38, probably after dickering you could probably walk out the door at 34-35 plus tax. I would imagine a 2015 entry trim level scat could probably be found with low miles under 30k at this point.

Scat pack across all of the big three IMO is probably the best bang for your buck, not the best in every category. Remember with the 6.4 if you want a blower 6psi of boost is all your doing.

In my location searching about 250 miles out, the best deal I had after looking at hundreds and hundreds of challengers and about every website that offers cars for sale there was one scat pack that was 2015 and priced at 33k, which was fine, it was lime green, not a fan of, so the rest of the scat packs was like 34k and higher used. And to be honest none of them really stood out to me. I know it was a scat pack I was looking for- only because I knew it had the 6.4 and they could run 11's with a little help in short order.

As I looked at all these challengers and learned what other choices there was with a 392. It opened up my search to other models, I saw this 2015 SRT 392 and just couldn't stop looking at it and I kept coming back to it, the srt 392 has the same engine and tranny and has the same potential to run 11's - yes it's a little heavier but never the less I would only have to dig up a few more ponies to cover the added weight.

Besides this SRT 392 has the awesome looking hood, awesome looking wheels, has some stripes and spoiler, just looks badazz to me. So this saves me from buying wheels or hood or laying stripes and so forth. So I just had to get it.

I know about the pistons in it, the blower will probably be the last thing I do to it like my v6 challenger, I will spend my time tinkering on it naturally aspirated and see how far I can get without doing anything really invasive, mostly to start off with just work on the traction side of things and get the car to hook like one should for 1/4 mile runs, then build on some power til I need to work on traction again and so forth.

It will be a fun car to run.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts