Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I recently saved up enough to purchase a new Double DIN receiver for my 2012 Challenger RT (6 speed Manual). Would you guys be able to recommend to me any receivers that would be able to support a rear view camera install?

Features I would like:

Retain the Uconnect Feature for bluetooth calls
Bluetooth Playback
MP3 CD Playback
SIRIUS-XM Option
Navigation (This is not something I need as my phone is a good navigator but would be happy if it was a feature)
USB Playback
AUX Input on front

Current Setup:
130 RES Receiver
1000w amp
JL Audio W0
Rockford Fosgate Punch P1692 6x9 on front running off the stock Head Unit

I am trying to get my sounds to work better and am open to opinions on what I should do, but I would like to get a new Head unit for sure that is double din.

·
Registered
137 Posts
alpine

i have an 09 r/t and i have an alpine Ine-w927hd i love it. It has nav. blue tooth rear camera input, easy to use, sub control hands down best brand in my opinion. and if you don't want motorized screen you can save a few dollars and go with the Ine-920hd or the 940 both have every thing you are looking for but no motorized screen. just remember the harness to put aftermarket radio in is almost 130.00 because of the can bus system.
hope this helps

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have an 09 r/t and i have an alpine Ine-w927hd i love it. It has nav. blue tooth rear camera input, easy to use, sub control hands down best brand in my opinion. and if you don't want motorized screen you can save a few dollars and go with the Ine-920hd or the 940 both have every thing you are looking for but no motorized screen. just remember the harness to put aftermarket radio in is almost 130.00 because of the can bus system.
hope this helps
I was actually looking at the non motorized one to purchase. do you have any pictures of how it looks in your vehicle right now? I would love to see how it looks on the dash. I saw that if I purchase the radio from crutchfield I can get the harness for half price, which is not a bad deal.

·
Registered
955 Posts
uConnect is gone regardless of what you end up with in the aftermarket, but bluetooth calling is widely available.

Built in navigation will be an option that pushes you from the $300-500 range up to the $1000+ range. My take on nav is that it's really not worth it in a non-removeable head unit when you can buy a stand-alone Garmin for $150 or use your smart phone for free. The actual software that the biggest head unit players use isn't as good as Garmin and all of them seem to have their drawbacks. I faced this decision a few months ago myself and this was my reasoning for not going nav.

mp3 playback should be available to pretty much anything with a name behind it. Same with USB and AUX playback, though front and rear might be a narrowing point.

Here's what I did with my current setup. I swapped in a Pioneer 5500BHS double DIN which has rear USB. I routed the extension cable through the center console, which I assume you'll be messing with anything to get your RCA wires back to the trunk where you sub probably is. I bought a USB to USB mini-B adapter and plugged it into the factory USB harness like this picture:

It looks like this:

which is a USB mini-B type connection (not micro, not a). You need USB female to USB mini-B male and 3 feet should be enough, though 6 feet will work fine too. Then your USB thumb drive becomes your library and it sits in the center console looking factory. It's very neat and tidy.

I ended up with the Pioneer 5500BHS and I got it for around $400 on Amazon. I already had an extensive audio processor to handle sound shaping so I'm not super familiar with the capabilities of the deck in that department, but the interface is great, especially with the steering wheel controls for track selection, volume, mute, etc. I don't use bluetooth so no comments there either, but it does support it and comes with it's own microphone hookup. You may be able to splice into the factory mic in the rearview mirror, but I wasn't able to track down any good tutorials when I did this.

·
Registered
137 Posts
pictures of alpine ine-927hd installed in my challenger

hope these help

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
uConnect is gone regardless of what you end up with in the aftermarket, but bluetooth calling is widely available.

Built in navigation will be an option that pushes you from the $300-500 range up to the $1000+ range. My take on nav is that it's really not worth it in a non-removeable head unit when you can buy a stand-alone Garmin for $150 or use your smart phone for free. The actual software that the biggest head unit players use isn't as good as Garmin and all of them seem to have their drawbacks. I faced this decision a few months ago myself and this was my reasoning for not going nav.

mp3 playback should be available to pretty much anything with a name behind it. Same with USB and AUX playback, though front and rear might be a narrowing point.

Here's what I did with my current setup. I swapped in a Pioneer 5500BHS double DIN which has rear USB. I routed the extension cable through the center console, which I assume you'll be messing with anything to get your RCA wires back to the trunk where you sub probably is. I bought a USB to USB mini-B adapter and plugged it into the factory USB harness like this picture:

It looks like this:

which is a USB mini-B type connection (not micro, not a). You need USB female to USB mini-B male and 3 feet should be enough, though 6 feet will work fine too. Then your USB thumb drive becomes your library and it sits in the center console looking factory. It's very neat and tidy.

I ended up with the Pioneer 5500BHS and I got it for around $400 on Amazon. I already had an extensive audio processor to handle sound shaping so I'm not super familiar with the capabilities of the deck in that department, but the interface is great, especially with the steering wheel controls for track selection, volume, mute, etc. I don't use bluetooth so no comments there either, but it does support it and comes with it's own microphone hookup. You may be able to splice into the factory mic in the rearview mirror, but I wasn't able to track down any good tutorials when I did this.
I like that setup also. I thought about using a USB as my media center as I have seen other people do that with their setups and this is an option. When you say it sits in the center console are you talking about the one that is under the armrest that can be used as a usb charger?

·
Registered
137 Posts
That looks great. Did you do the install yourself or did you get it done professionally? I have installed a few other receivers but want to know the difficulty of installing these on my own.
I installed myself but I work at a car audio shop on weekend, lol so i guess professionally. In my opinion the PAC part CR2-CHY4v1 best harness and have little to no problem installing

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed myself but I work at a car audio shop on weekend, lol so i guess professionally. In my opinion the PAC part CR2-CHY4v1 best harness and have little to no problem installing
I noticed on crutchfield I was given two options:

PAC RP4-CH11 Factory Integration Adapter $74.99
PAC C2R-CHY4 Factory Integration Adapter $49.99

What is the difference between the two?

·
Registered
955 Posts
I like that setup also. I thought about using a USB as my media center as I have seen other people do that with their setups and this is an option. When you say it sits in the center console are you talking about the one that is under the armrest that can be used as a usb charger?
Yes. That input is where I put my USB library. It works because I rerouted it to the pioneer, which is easy, and what I was showing in those pics. The plug is the one under the arm rest.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have my Kenwood DNX9140 I would be willing to part with. It used to be the best model radio you could buy from them until the 9990 came out about a year ago

·
Registered
137 Posts
I noticed on crutchfield I was given two options:

PAC RP4-CH11 Factory Integration Adapter $74.99
PAC C2R-CHY4 Factory Integration Adapter $49.99

What is the difference between the two?
the more expensive one has build in steering wheel controls

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the more expensive one has build in steering wheel controls
I would probably end up going with the slightly pricier one for ease of installation and to keep those controls.

One final question. I feel like the Metra receiver dash installation kits are a bit cheap. Do you know of any other companies that make nicer looking installation kits for the challenger?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I was eyeing Pioneer's flagship nav double din, AVIC-Z150BH
Packers6947 you seem to know your stuff, how is that one?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
that is pioneers best one but i have not been a pioneer fan they don't seem to be contracted or feel as nice as alpine. ohh and by the way, harder to use.
on the other question about the other harness make sure to read the paper work you will have to program it for the steering wheel controls. and if you do get a alpine you need to get a PAC tr7 so you can use all the options while driving.
thanks for the compliment!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts