Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of shops or types of shops that carry Probond adhesive promoter? I finally got a tracking number for my louvers so I'm hoping I might get lucky and see them this weekend. I called a local body shop supply store and they had bulldog adhesion promoter and the 3M pad promoters but my impression from looking around the web is that probond would likely yield the best results.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't know which louvers you purchased. I bought HPP louvers. I followed their directions and used their 3M tape. Mine have been on for over 8 months and on a 1500 mile rode trip. I have not had a problem with mine louvers not sticking. When the last time I checked (which was last weekend) the louvers will start to pull the roof up when I check to make sure the louvers are still stuck to the roof. So the louvers are very well taped to the roof.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
For now I'm going with E&G classics I might change in the future but wanted to try them out first plus wanted to save money for other mods for now. Catch 22 is the installation that seemed to go most smoothly when I was looking up information on the louvers was using Pro Bond promoter which I can find on-line at tinter supply and Wrap supply shops but no dice at local autobody supply shops so far.

Found a Fellers not to far from me so I'm going to try to get some 3m 94 tape primer and see if that does the trick this go around.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
76 Posts
I purchased my louvers from summit and they came with everything needed including the adhesion promotor. Never had any problems so far in the past 1 1/2 years with them.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Just got my E&G classics on Wednesday myself. As soon as I have a nice warm day I will be doing th install. I will post my experience in here.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I found the 3M 06396 adhesive promoter at Carquest auto today. It comes in these little packets. Like eyeglass wipes. Each wipe was around 2 bucks. I didn't know how many I would need so I picked up 4.

They were not included in the E&G kit.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I used the 3M 94 tape primer promoter and it seems to have worked well. I called Fellers wrap supply and gave them my info and for job type told them it was for a hobby install so they entered me as an installer and shipped the 94 primer to my house. The primer and the louvers arrived yesterday so I went ahead and took advantage of the semi warm weather and installed the louvers this morning.

I'm not sure how it'll hold up but 94 primer is One of the methods 3m suggests for bonding tape to glass which was why I opted to go with it. One tip for those doing the louver install. E&G suggested doubling up the all the weather stripping for the louvers. I tried this and found in along the top the louver was bowing so I opted on having the weather stripping along the top of the louvers only be one strip thick.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
306 Posts
I used the 3M 94 tape primer promoter and it seems to have worked well. I called Fellers wrap supply and gave them my info and for job type told them it was for a hobby install so they entered me as an installer and shipped the 94 primer to my house. The primer and the louvers arrived yesterday so I went ahead and took advantage of the semi warm weather and installed the louvers this morning.

I'm not sure how it'll hold up but 94 primer is One of the methods 3m suggests for bonding tape to glass which was why I opted to go with it. One tip for those doing the louver install. E&G suggested doubling up the all the weather stripping for the louvers. I tried this and found in along the top the louver was bowing so I opted on having the weather stripping along the top of the louvers only be one strip thick.

Take it easy
Jay

Have yet to have a nice enough day to install mine. The instructions I have say to only double up the tape at certain areas in the middle of the louvers. Are you saying it sits better without doing this?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't double up on the first run across but I did double up on the next runs down and on across the bottom which in my case seemed to line up fairly flush with the trunk with two layers there. The rounded corners at the top are slightly raised up and does not touch the glass. I ended up taking the second layer off that rung since it wasn't flush with the glass and it dropped closer but it's still slightly proud of the glass in those corners.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just as a FYI for anyone installing these, I didn't run the second layer of weatherstripping when I first installed mine. I tried a single layer mostly as an experiment to see what difference it made. You definately need the second layer as the louver will rattle some in certain crosswinds and at certain speeds.
I also used the 3M 06396 Adhesion Promoter and it seems to be holding well.
Dallas

Attachments

Reactions: R/t Joe

·
Registered
306 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good results on the highway this morning I didn't hear a peep from them on the way in no rattles no nothing. I did add some weather stripping on either side of the bottom two posts by the trunk yesterday but things look good so far.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
252 Posts
I live in an area that gets up to 115 at it's highest and with proper prep they've held just fine. Love the louver look. I'll be upgrading to the Willpak aluminum louvers soon. Looks good!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Did mine today. Used the 3m adhesive promoter pads, had to buy them off fleebay.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Had one of the 8 mounting pads start to pry up today. Ironically the portion bonded to the glass with 3M 94 primer held strong it's the bracket to 3m tape bond that was failing. As the bracket cooled off while washing the car the metal bracket started to bond again but I figured I'd post it since it failed on the manufacture's side and others might have it happen as well.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Note: Had the E.G. louvers for close to a year, they are a nice addition and one of the best quality set's you can find in abs plastics. Plenty of support. Do note that driving around in the humid and very rainy south (last year) a few of the adhesive pads started to become loose. One actually lost all adhesion while on a long drive. This due to being exposed to the amount of water over a period of time. My advise would be to run a bead of silicone to seal the adhesive cushion from water.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts