Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, heres my story....looking for some forced induction....but unsure where I want my money to go right now.

I plan on leaving the internals of the 5.7 stock for now, until she lets go anyways, and I am at a wee bit of a dis-advantage when it come to tuning, as we have no real HEMI tuners in this area...in fact i think the closest place i can think of off the top of my head would be in Illinois, which is a solid 30 hour or so drive, LOL.

So help me out here, what is easiest to tune without the car present?

I have a pros/cons list made up, based on experiance and reading.

Centrifugal: Vortech/Procharger
Pros: Smooth Power, Longest in the SC world for Hemi's, Cost
Cons: poor bottom end in comparison, looks

Roots/Screw: Maggie/KenneBell
(reason I have put these 2 together is they have similar mounting points, totally different technology, but results on stock blocks will be similar)

Pros: Hard hitting, Low end power, looks
Cons: Hard Hitting, poor part throttle boost control in comparison

Turbo: STS/Hellion

Pros: Smooth Power, easily hidden, boost control
Cons: COST, can be complex comparitively, less use therefore less tuning options.

Guys feel free to let me know what you have, how you find it. And vendors, feel free to let me know what you feel my best options are. Thanks

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
If you have no tuners around your area, go with a kit that comes with a good out of the box tune. Vortech and Magnuson both have this. If you get a Kenne Bell from Mr. Norms it will come with a nice out of the box tune as well.

If you get the Magnuson from Arrington they have the option of a nice tune from HemiTuner with the kit and they offer a few upgrades as well.

Twin turbos are cool, but my only concern is that most of the systems replace the catalytic converters with the turbos. This can prove problematic in states with emission testing.

Now you just gotta decide which one you want and pull the trigger.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no concerns with emissions, thats why the turbos are on the table, but they are not gonna be something i look at really, the cost isnt my cup of tea.

Vortech, Maggie, and Kenne Bell are my top choices, just comes down to good tunes, and if i am willing to drive 60 hours round trip for a tune, lol.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
If you get the Maggie it has a very safe box tune, but leaves power on the table. If you get it from Arrington they can give you a safe tune that maximizes the setup.

Same thing with the KB, but only if you get it from Mr. Norms. Tim over there knows what he's doing.

The Vortech canned tune seems to be pretty safe. I've not heard of any issues with the canned tune.

I personally like the PD blowers like the Maggie and KB. They just look mean in the engine bay. If you're gonna race a lot a centri blower like the Vortech will be easier to get off the line though since the PDs make nearly full torque right off idle.

Makes em' fun on the street, but challenging to get off the line at the strip.

Arrington was running a sale on the Maggies. You might give them a call and see if it's still going or what they can do for ya. Ask for Alex and tell him you want the Speedy hookup.

The Maggie is a 2.3L blower capable of about 625 - 650 RWHP on our cars before it's out of breath. If you think you'll want more than that go with the KB which is 2.8L, but get it from Mr. Norms.

·
Registered
35 Posts

There are a few options for tuning in Alberta.

I have my '10 SRT in a shop in Calgary right now and I know they have done a few procharger and Mr. Norm's setups. There was a PCP SRT with a mammoth in the shop when I dropped mine off.

My SRT will be finished maybe today, I haven't talked to the shop in a couple days. (trying not to push too hard)

Its running the D1SC stage 2 setup from procharger. When I was talking to them about tuning they mentioned that they deal with Steve at RDP to assist in their work, and from browsing the forums it seems like he is accepted as one of the good guys. I'll know more once I get the car back and get some logging done.

If your in Calgary once the snow melts.... I'd be fine in letting you take it for a run to see what you think. I head up to Edmonton fairly often too, so it would probably be possible to do a meet there.

Looks wise the KB and Magna look great, but I will be fine with the blowdryer. The procharger Stage 2 allows me to build into the future and I preferred it over the vortech but thats more due to the crappy shop in town that overprices and has some rude front staff at the recent car show. 10K for a V3SI and install... I bought mine from Andy at PWR, and including the Solo exhaust, freight, new 90mm TB, ported intake, new plugs, ect it is still under the 10K for the V3si from the unmentionable shop.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
O9rt,, dont let the bottom end worry you too much. Fixed with a Stall. GSO is in the 10s big cube motor and vortech I think, Many are in the 11s with a stock motors 5.7 or 6.1, You mention tuning,,, get a/f gauge and trinity hooked to it. From there canned Vortech tune are a good start, mine did 491rwhp without touching it. Many have great CMR fi tunes for a vortech that can be E Mailed for fine tuning with no issues. JMHO. Dyno Steve at RDP has helped me a bunch, fact is I tihnk were going to meet in Joplin on his way back from camero event in az. tuesday.

FT

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
The Magnacharger and Vortech are going to be your best option, as both have great tunes out of the box, and have proven to be reliable. Comes down to what your budget and preference is and to which way to go. Let us know if we can help in any way

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
O9rt,, dont let the bottom end worry you too much. Fixed with a Stall. GSO is in the 10s big cube motor and vortech I think, Many are in the 11s with a stock motors 5.7 or 6.1, You mention tuning,,, get a/f gauge and trinity hooked to it. From there canned Vortech tune are a good start, mine did 491rwhp without touching it. Many have great CMR fi tunes for a vortech that can be E Mailed for fine tuning with no issues. JMHO. Dyno Steve at RDP has helped me a bunch, fact is I tihnk were going to meet in Joplin on his way back from camero event in az. tuesday.

FT
I have the wideband already, will not be doing the trinity, I will stick with my predator.

I am more concerned with the out of the box tune, do to my limited tuning options up here. Something about datalogging a terrible tune so that it can be tweaked just yells "blown ringland". So if the out of the box tune is close enough, then datalogging for a tweak wont be a problem.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Magnacharger and Vortech are going to be your best option, as both have great tunes out of the box, and have proven to be reliable. Comes down to what your budget and preference is and to which way to go. Let us know if we can help in any way
Maggie and Vortech are your reccomendations?

I see you are running a vortech for quite some time....How do you find the driveability of it?? SRT8's are pretty anemic on the bottome end compared to the 5.7 to begin with, so if your bottom end was strengthened by the vortech, then I know i should be fine.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
I love my Vortech. My car gets driven every single day...75k on the car and stock engine, almost 40k on the Vortech now. The maggie will have more low end toque and the Vortech a bit more up top. Both are solid choices. Drivability is great, if you want to drive like a granny you can, and you don't even know you have a blower, If you have a heavy right foot, then you will launch like a rocket ship. Best of both worlds IMO

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Any of the popular brands of blower will be good , it comes down to personal choice.

I could be wrong but I don't think theres a kit out for the 5.7. from KB. They are working on it now. A custom tune would be nessisary with KB and I would only trust ST motorsports or Mr norms, and after install I would make sure AFR and other critical values are in line.

Don't worry about tunes if your completely stock the kit tunes are solid.

I think the custom tunes are overrated , the kit tunes have been proven safe. Most of the failure's are from the custom tunes with shops that say they can do it better than the OEM package kits.

Custom tunes are needed when you have other mods with the blower like headers, Cam , heads etc.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I don't think Vortech offers a tune for the 6 speed 5.7... it will have to be custom.
It will have to be custom for any blower I get, as i have too many bolt-ons...just need it too be close off the hop, seeing as there are no shops close to me to get it tuned....closest shop get advice from Steve at RDP, and they are 3 hours away...so its still a problem.

Any of the popular brands of blower will be good , it comes down to personal choice.

I could be wrong but I don't think theres a kit out for the 5.7. from KB. They are working on it now. A custom tune would be nessisary with KB and I would only trust ST motorsports or Mr norms, and after install I would make sure AFR and other critical values are in line.

Don't worry about tunes if your completely stock the kit tunes are solid.

I think the custom tunes are overrated , the kit tunes have been proven safe. Most of the failure's are from the custom tunes with shops that say they can do it better than the OEM package kits.

Custom tunes are needed when you have other mods with the blower like headers, Cam , heads etc.
KB has a kit for the 5.7...been out for awhile now as far as I know....and my sig has some of my major mods....which include long tubes, cat-less mids, and full 3" exhaust...90mm TB, so a custom tune is a must....netted 22rwhp and got my AFR back to 12.2:1...

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
It will have to be custom for any blower I get, as i have too many bolt-ons...just need it too be close off the hop, seeing as there are no shops close to me to get it tuned....closest shop get advice from Steve at RDP, and they are 3 hours away...so its still a problem.

KB has a kit for the 5.7...been out for awhile now as far as I know....and my sig has some of my major mods....which include long tubes, cat-less mids, and full 3" exhaust...90mm TB, so a custom tune is a must....netted 22rwhp and got my AFR back to 12.2:1...
I don't want the wrong info out for other members. KB kit is not available for the 5.7. It's not even priced yet.

It wont be ready for another month or so. Yes, KB's are on 5.7s, this has been done by performance shops taking on the project themselves using the 6.1 kit and doing the tunning. Adam, (ST motorsports) did one not long ago and made huge HP out of it.

I spoke with Jim Bell last week, and he said there is not a KB kit, tune and all for the 5.7, but they are working on it.

Adam does home installs, there must be a local dyno somewhere that you can rent a couple hours on. Adam sends his mechanic up and will have it installed in a day. A few pulls and data logs sent to Adam and your done.

He tuned mine once, never the need for any other adjustments.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Mr. Norms has a 5.7L KB "kit" with tune available or so I've been told.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts