Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 Challenger Classic Rt 6sp
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Challenger RT Classic 6sp. I'm looking for a 2.5" H Pipe to make work on a Flow Master American Thunder exhaust. Any help would be great !

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,706 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recently cut up a flowmaster x pipe that came with the force 2 system. Wasnt impressed with the small passage between the two pipes.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I purchased a H Pipe for a Mustang. Cut it up and welded it into my exhaust. So now I Have Flowmaster Super 40 's, Solo Performance tail pipes with the Hemholtz resonators and their quad tips , and the Mustang H pipe. Sound great. No drone at all.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
for the most part a waste of time and money
Ok, how do U know this ?????

Known fact they work for years to solve problems in the system balance.

My 2001 Cobra had said H pipe in the back of the car and worked as designed.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do I know this ?
I fabricated it into my exhaust system . Is that what you are asking ? I had purchased a 2 Flow Master exhaust systems. A Force 2 and an American Thunder. Force 2 was to quiet. American Thunder droned me to insanity. Purchased Solo Performance system with Helmholtz resonators on the tail pipes. . Fabbed those tail pipes to the American Thunder. No drone.
I wanted an H-Pipe 2 1/2 " . Got one from CJ Pony parts. Fabbed it into a Flow Master mid pipe.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OOps my bad. I read your
post wrong ! Sorry !

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
847 Posts
Ok, how do U know this ?????

Known fact they work for years to solve problems in the system balance.

My 2001 Cobra had said H pipe in the back of the car and worked as designed.
because ive seen many dyno tests that have proven they dont do a thing other then make your exhaust sound different. When they tested my 6.4 at Hearth throb exhaust as a test mule to develop a cat back for that set up they found it actually made a tiny bit less with an H pipe. Why would you worry about equalizing one side of your motor to the other. You have 4 cyl on each side all producing exhaust all on different strokes. the only way your going to see a major differnce in between sides is if you have a bad cylinder. Tell me. If it adds power why dont race cars use them? Just the fact you have to look for one for your set up shows the designer didnt think it was necessary. By the way my new cat back is a zommer. It has about the best sound ive heard out of a cat back on a 6.4 and they didnt seem to think it was necessary either. Show me a dyno test other then from an h pipe manufacture that shows real world gains.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,706 Posts

A Guy

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
because ive seen many dyno tests that have proven they dont do a thing other then make your exhaust sound different. When they tested my 6.4 at Hearth throb exhaust as a test mule to develop a cat back for that set up they found it actually made a tiny bit less with an H pipe. Why would you worry about equalizing one side of your motor to the other. You have 4 cyl on each side all producing exhaust all on different strokes. the only way your going to see a major differnce in between sides is if you have a bad cylinder. Tell me. If it adds power why dont race cars use them? Just the fact you have to look for one for your set up shows the designer didnt think it was necessary. By the way my new cat back is a zommer. It has about the best sound ive heard out of a cat back on a 6.4 and they didnt seem to think it was necessary either. Show me a dyno test other then from an h pipe manufacture that shows real world gains.
I did it due to the fact that I wanted to do it. I enjoyed doing it. It sounds great . I am happy with it.

And this car came with a factory h pipe.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
for the most part a waste of time and money
When members make the statements when its been done foe years FOR a REASON why do u make said statement ???

THERE is always a reason, it takes ONLY one reason to make it work.

I never said the gave power or free beer.

The Mustang FR500 Prototype had a H pipe behind the rear axle. Me thinks NVH is what a H pipes main job.

All early mustangs had H pipes.

More proof the H is never gonna die. A system with both.............

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
847 Posts
funny. ive never seen a h pipe or a x pipe on any race car in any kind of competition. Youd think theyd all want that extra hp. Maybe they just cant afford it.;)

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
funny. ive never seen a h pipe or a x pipe on any race car in any kind of competition. Youd think theyd all want that extra hp. Maybe they just cant afford it.;)
Really now, U sure about that statement ???? (nascar maybe ??)

My argument is folks STATE the do not work ???

But they do, JUST not what U want them to do, add power over the whole band

Ever X or H worked just fine for me and gave me gains in Noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) And crazy killer sound dual X pipe on my 06 mustang 4.0L

Pretty sure WHY so many cars run them to chill out the strange firing orders out there.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,706 Posts

A Guy :)

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,496 Posts
maybe he is looking for more of an old school sound. If anything that only changed the sound was deemed "a waste of time and money" you would only be able to buy stock mufflers and cat back systems.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,706 Posts
The H pipe, and the X pipes should be called balance pipes. They are meant to equalize pressure between sides as one side is firing. The difference with/without seems to be slight, but the difference in tone/sounds is more affected. On a fully optimized engine, a correctly located balance pipe could increase scavenging, and even affect the powerband

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,496 Posts
"H" pipe and "X" pipe perform nearly identical. Sound is different. I myself love the sound of an "H" over an "X" but then again, I am more about low tones and loudness overall. And I had my mufflers swapped and resonators deleted and it still isn't loud enough and I don't care about "drone", it adds atmosphere.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts