Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi forum,
I replaced my stock "Alpine" speakers and added tweeters to my "A" pillars, at first I was satisfied. My music taste is across the spectrum, so obviously some songs sound much better than others. Not quite ready to go subwoofer, I really don't want to crank it up, but the doors should give me the bass I am looking for. I was thinking about adding a 4-channel amp to drive the door speakers and rear deck. Anyone do this, or have any other options? I was going to add a 4-channel line out converter to a four channel amp, run the door speakers and the rear deck speakers off the amp. I should be able to retain the GPS voice that goes through the front dash. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You're thinking of doing what I'm installing this weekend. 2 way in the dash, 3 way in the doors, 2 ways in the rear deck. 4ch amp running door/dash. Radio running dash with bassblockers at 150hz. I should be done Saturday evening some time if all goes well.

I left the A pillar alone as the dash position offers a fuller range with the 2way 3 1/2. Should be epic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh man, Agent26 please please report back after this weekend because this is exactly what i am looking for as well. In advance, thanks for the extra time that the post will take you to do, but thats what makes this site so incredibly cool.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well my 2018 Challenger R/T came with the 7" touch screen. After digging around the car for too long I learned there is NO factory amp. This is fine though as that makes it easy to install the LOC under the stereo in the dash and not worry about signal>factoryamp>LOC>aftermarket amp.

Dash speakers were installed with 300hz "bass blockers". Headsup these are a piece of cake compared to the rest of the car.

Door speakers went in with zero problems and I was able to use the factory spacer without any fuss from the operation of the windows. However, running new speaker wire to them is time consuming. Especially when you use, as you should, the factory door jam grommets and boots. A previous post on this forum saved me some time, the ECU has to be unbolted in order run new wire to the passenger door.

Rear deck.. %[email protected]& that %[email protected]&ity %[email protected]& %[email protected]&ing rear deck. I wasted a %[email protected]& ton of time taking apart that %[email protected]&ing rear %[email protected]&ing deck. The 8" sub I snagged to put in the factory whole didn't overlap enough to grab any metal so that's not an option at the time of this post. The other two speakers were not an issue. Speaker brakcets made the install extremely easy.

I ran out of time and energy (mostly energy) to finish running cables to the passenger seat for the amp. So today, after work it will be round 2 Since all of the wiring is essentially done, its just a matter of pulling the passenger seat and tucking things up nicely along the existing cable channels and then tuning the amp over the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Round 2,

Any installation goes well if all the parts work. Turns out, I had two sets of bad RCA's that were new in the package. I put a volt meter to them and checked for continuity. No Tone on either core or ground shield of any of the 4 channels. I had to use a spare set lying dirty in the garage. Also, the Scosche LOC I used (I cheaped out here, my fault) 2 of the ports were bad. they wouldn't pass any voltage on a 50hz tone. So sad. Right now, I'm using the one good side of the LOC with a spare set of RCA's and there's a low noise issue. Its not alternator whine, just noise.

The upside to this adventure is the sound. Oh my god the music sounds sooooo good. So clean, clear, crisp, deep. And none of the speakers have had time to break in yet. I even took out the 2 Alpine TypeRs from the trunk and they're accompanying amp.

Round 3 will be swapping to a better LOC and hopefully some working RCA's...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Round 2,

Any installation goes well if all the parts work. Turns out, I had two sets of bad RCA's that were new in the package. I put a volt meter to them and checked for continuity. No Tone on either core or ground shield of any of the 4 channels. I had to use a spare set lying dirty in the garage. Also, the Scosche LOC I used (I cheaped out here, my fault) 2 of the ports were bad. they wouldn't pass any voltage on a 50hz tone. So sad. Right now, I'm using the one good side of the LOC with a spare set of RCA's and there's a low noise issue. Its not alternator whine, just noise.

The upside to this adventure is the sound. Oh my god the music sounds sooooo good. So clean, clear, crisp, deep. And none of the speakers have had time to break in yet. I even took out the 2 Alpine TypeRs from the trunk and they're accompanying amp.

Round 3 will be swapping to a better LOC and hopefully some working RCA's...
I have an Audio Control LC8i that I was going to use in my install before I went a different route. It’s available for sale if you have any interest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an Audio Control LC8i that I was going to use in my install before I went a different route. It’s available for sale if you have any interest.
I thank you for the offer, but I've already ordered a replacement LOC and RCA cable from my 'regular' site. Of course, if this next setup also has issues, I'll pm you to see if your LC8i is still available.
:thanks:

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Installed my amp and LC6i, finally full range sound, and it sounds awesome. I may add a subwoofer in the future, but the 6x9's I put in the door are impressive.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts