Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2014 Dodge Challenger R/T a couple of years ago. I took the vehicle in to trade off yesterday and was told that the car was reacquired under lemon laws. This information was never released or stated to myself nor the lien holder. I’ve contacted both Dodge and the dealership and was offered no help. Can someone please give some insight or information about possible next steps. Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,707 Posts

·
Registered
13,739 Posts
What dealership, the one you bought the car from?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
your statute of limitations may have well ran out to do anything legally. you'll need to check your state laws, etc and do the backwards math to see if you still have time on the clock.
"a couple years ago" may be a big hurdle, less you can find some sort of caveat regarding 'time/moment of discovery"
what does your purchase docs state? if its anything like "used/as is" condition. your probably screwed.
There are probably state agentcies you can file a complaint with, but I wouldnt expect much.
May want to "carefully" check with your lender/insurance, they take an interest in this as well, if they have a stake ina car that was misrepresented at time of sale.
best of luck.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,702 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk. Not sure of the legalities, but surely the dealership is responsible for disclosing that status. If they claim they didn't know, that should not be a valid excuse since it's their job to know. It isn't like a private party, they are licensed, etc. Now, can they say they DID disclose that to you, with no documentation of same?

If they are of no help, you might contact your state consumer protection agency

If it's not something they can deal with, they may be able to point you in the right direction. The lien holder may also have a stake in this, as they no doubt made their loan based on false information

A Guy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you run a Carfax on it? https://www.carfax.com/vehicle-history-reports/?partner=GCL_G&click=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx56Np-XE5QIVkInICh2p6QRqEAAYASABEgJjk_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I'd verify the history first, then see how much the Lemon Law factor changes the value. If you've not had any issues with the car, then that should help you argue about the condition.
So no issues were going to trade and dealerships refuse to touch it. I originally had offer of $16,300 but told me good luck with getting $2000.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
your statute of limitations may have well ran out to do anything legally. you'll need to check your state laws, etc and do the backwards math to see if you still have time on the clock.
"a couple years ago" may be a big hurdle, less you can find some sort of caveat regarding 'time/moment of discovery"
what does your purchase docs state? if its anything like "used/as is" condition. your probably screwed.
There are probably state agentcies you can file a complaint with, but I wouldnt expect much.
May want to "carefully" check with your lender/insurance, they take an interest in this as well, if they have a stake ina car that was misrepresented at time of sale.
best of luck.
So lender has no information of it being a buyback.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I purchased a 2014 Dodge Challenger R/T a couple of years ago. I took the vehicle in to trade off yesterday and was told that the car was reacquired under lemon laws. This information was never released or stated to myself nor the lien holder. I’ve contacted both Dodge and the dealership and was offered no help. Can someone please give some insight or information about possible next steps. Thanks
Every state has different laws so that is going to play a huge role in your next step. I'm in NY..., back in 2005, I purchased a 2004 Wrangler Rocky Mountain Edition. About a month after taking delivery, I received a FexEx envelope in the mail with a bunch of legal documents from Chrysler Corp. and a note from the dealership GM staying this was paperwork they forgot to have me sign when I bought the car. When I read the documents, it became clear I bought a buyback WITHOUT KNOWING. I contacted the dealership and spoke to the GM. I told him if I had k own it was a buyback, I would have negotiated a better price or not bought it. The GM threatened to take the car from my driveway if I didn't sign the paperwork. Because without it, the deal was not complete. Interestingly, I already received my title and registration in the mail, so I mentioned I'd have whomever came to steal my Jeep arrested for GLA (Grand Larceny - Automobile) if they attempted to steal my Jeep.

Long story short, I signed the paperwork after they provided me a Lifetime MaxCare warranty with no deductible (approx $5,000. value) on the Jeep. That was my assurance that their verbal guarantee that my Jeep like new Wrangler with 400 miles on it was in fact now financially guaranteed to be as good as new.

By law in NY, it Manufacturer Buyback (Lemon Law Buyback), etc... must be notes on the title, your purchase agreement, and your completed bill of sale. It should also be noted on the CarFax.

If it's not noted on your copies (not just on theirs), they likely committed fraud. You should contact the Better Business Bureau, FCA (if from a FCA franchised dealer), your state Attorney General's office and advise them of the issue.

If it is noted, even in fine print on your copies, then whether they "actually" told you or not, when you signed those docs, you acknowledged you knew everything contained therein.

I imagine this happens quite a bit more than we the consumers realize.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts