Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 2017 Challenger SXT more so for better fuel eco vs any of the V8s since I have a long commute. Kind of like a "have your cake and eat it too" kinda thing. Stayed away from the Hemi and scat packs. I'm looking for a more aggressive sound without sounding like a rice burner. I looked into the super 44's, but not sure if just supper 44's will do the trick and if i should do a res delete? Id like the lower type rumble and am aware it wont sound as a V8 but the aggressive sound is what we all desire on our whips. Also, not sure if a res delete would void warranty? Or even an exhaust swap for that matter?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,619 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk Swole512. Generally speaking you won't get the desired sound difference if you leave the stock resonators on. Either get a system with it's own resonators, or J Pipes like the Solo, or delete the resonators (you will get varying levels of drone with no resonators). A resonator delete shouldn't affect the Dodge warranty. No resonators could possibly be an issues if your area/state has inspections. I think generally in that case, if you have working mufflers and no leaks, you will pass that too. As you mentioned, you will always have a degree of ricer sound, it's a V6. But you can get a deeper sound as well. I personally have, and can recommend the Solo Mach XV-CH-(NT,DR,DS). But other members have done Super 44's, even super 10's, straight pipe, etc.

A Guy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! We do have state inspections, they vary from city to city here in Texas. I will definitely shop around and consider the solos. I've seen some vids on both the 44's and solos and have noticed the difference when the resonators were deleted. I'm expecting a cat back system to be in the 800 range and am looking for the best set up for the best deep gurgle on a v6. I'm a bit nervous since it's a considerable investment.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I would say the Solo exhaust gets a lot of love on these forums from many of the members but if a full cat-back system is not in your budget, I highly recommend you check out Classic Chambered Exhaust Inc. - Dodge Challenger

I went with a set for my mid-mufflers and swapped out my resonators for Blastin Bob's Resonator Delete (Magnaflow Glass Packs).

It's not ever going to sound like a big old V8 Hemi but I regularly get people coming up to me saying my cars sounds great. When I tell them I only have a V6 I often have to pop the hood to prove it. There is some drone at times at certain RPM's during acceleration but once at cruising speed she purrs like a kitten. At WOT she screams but in a good way.

I had the Resonator Delete kit first with stock mid-mufflers. It was louder but a bit harsh for my taste so went with the Classic Chambered for the mids and kept the glass packs in the back which balanced it out very well. For about half the cost of a full cat-back systems I can live with it but for far less drone you might want to go with a Solo system and still get a better sounding car over stock.

It is really all about the money and how loud you want it but the stock resonators must go if you want anything to sound better than stock.

The video below is about as close to how my cars sounds with my set-up even though the car in the video is an RT. The set-up is about the same except I'm using glass packs as my resonators.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds good. I realize it's a v8 but if close I can live with that. Love the aggressive sound

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
What do u think of the super 44's?
There's different opinions on sound and drone about the 44's, 40's, and 50's. I went with the American Thunder catback because it had their tuned resonators and I assumed the system was tested for sound, drone, and performance before the sold it. I love the sound and don't regret my purchase, and I haven't heard anyone else that has that system on the 3.6 not be pleased with it. I like the Solo also, but I think the American Thunder sounds more like a V8.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts