Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm currently researching as I prepare for a new vehicle. I've owned a few cars but they were mostly winter type cars for New York winters. I'm finally moving down to Georgia and I'm free to get a fun car finally. I've been eyeing the 2018 R/T Challenger and I'm looking for all available insight from this community. I'm especially interested in pros/cons of specific packages. So far all I know is I'm most interested in the regular 5.7L w/ manual tranny. Gas mileage isn't a huge issue for me in this situation, but I don't want to spend more than $40k (and certainly not a six cylinder). I may skip on leather seats because it would be uncomfortable in the southern summers.

I'm not a race car driver or anything, but I would really like a fun car. I don't need something that can race a corvette on the interstate.

Found a 2018 R/T pretty local to me with the "sound group," "blacktop package," "super track pack," and the uconnect setup for 38k. I'm still within my research phase so I'm not aware if this is a bad deal or not yet.

If anyone has some advice or experience with how much this vehicle should cost in theory please let me know! Look forward to spending more time here in the event I purchase a challenger!

Thank you!
David

·
Registered
955 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'm currently researching as I prepare for a new vehicle. I've owned a few cars but they were mostly winter type cars for New York winters. I'm finally moving down to Georgia and I'm free to get a fun car finally. I've been eyeing the 2018 R/T Challenger and I'm looking for all available insight from this community. I'm especially interested in pros/cons of specific packages. So far all I know is I'm most interested in the regular 5.7L w/ manual tranny. Gas mileage isn't a huge issue for me in this situation, but I don't want to spend more than $40k (and certainly not a six cylinder). I may skip on leather seats because it would be uncomfortable in the southern summers.

I'm not a race car driver or anything, but I would really like a fun car. I don't need something that can race a corvette on the interstate.

Found a 2018 R/T pretty local to me with the "sound group," "blacktop package," "super track pack," and the uconnect setup for 38k. I'm still within my research phase so I'm not aware if this is a bad deal or not yet.

If anyone has some advice or experience with how much this vehicle should cost in theory please let me know! Look forward to spending more time here in the event I purchase a challenger!

Thank you!
David
That car you found sounds like an okay deal to me ONLY if it's an R/T Plus. The Dodge website lists a regular R/T with those options with an MSRP of $35k. Search around on the AutoTrader, CarGurus, and CarsForSale websites and find much better deals.

And before you decide on the 5.7, try driving a 6.4 first. You can find PLENTY of used, pre-owned, and even new (if they're leftover from previous model years) Scat Packs for under $40k. In my humble opinion, they're just about the most fun, usable, and sexy car you can get for under $40k. Hell, I've even found used or pre-owned SRT 392's in that price range with fairly low miles. I'd honestly recommend that above all, it's the best bang for buck you can find since it's just under a Hellcat. Not nearly as powerful, but comes with adaptive suspension and it's fully loaded. I know you said you're not looking for a race car, but horsepower and torque are addictive things, and it's likely you'll eventually want more of it. Best to start off with all the power you'd likely ever want or need.

And while I don't want to bash on the R/T's or the 5.7 Hemi, I personally find it a little under-powered compared to other options in the Ford and Chevy lineups around the same price point, especially since our cars are heavier. Then again, their cars aren't as good looking (in my opinion) or, dare I say it, practical as ours. And the 5.7 can survive on 87 octane whereas the 5.0 Coyote, 6.4 Hemi, and LT1 can't. It's also less expensive to buy parts for an R/T when it eventually comes time to make repairs, and it's less costly to insure.

You could also always go for a new Mustang GT and get more power for less money, but it doesn't have nearly the off-the-line torque delivery that the Hemi or Chevy LT motors have, and it's not as big and comfortable. The Chevy Camaro SS is an engineering marvel of a car and it's VERY fast and reasonably priced, but I hate the cramped and boring interior and the horrible visibility. Not to mention I've heard some real horror stories about Ford and GM's quality control and customer service, especially when it comes to warranty work.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The 392/6.4-liter Hemi is going to be your best bang for the buck.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,669 Posts
Or the 6.4L version >:)

A Guy

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Check the cars.com app, you can find some leads on prices there to get you going. Whatever car you get make sure it has the 8.4 radio and Super Track Pack so you can expand your Performance Pages with Tazer. And don't even mention gas mileage, the 5.7L/M6 can easily get 28-30 mpg on the highway.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Reactions: fyrdude

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,006 Posts
Hello everyone,

Thank you!
David

For an idea of what a car is worth, assuming -- this is important -- it is worth owning at all, I like to check prices at www.kbb.com and NADA.

The two sites will probably come up with different numbers. For buying a used car I use the site with the lowest numbers.

You will probably find the car in question is being offered for 10% to 25% over its wholesale/trade in value which is typical. (Just one example but typical, back in 2009 traded in a 2006 Pontiac GTO with just 39K miles and in excellent shape for around $15K. A few weeks later found the car on a GM dealer's used car lot -- the owner of the dealer (Porsche) I traded the GTO in when buying a new Porsche also owned the GM dealership -- for sale for $19K marked down from $21K.)

When shopping for a used car I like to start out at close to wholesale/trade in. One can always offer more. But it is hard to take a higher offer off the table.

For this used car, any used car, you have to give the car a thorough check out. Don't assume just because it is a very late model example, and low miles, it is ok. It probably is ok, but maybe it was turned back in for a engine "tick" or some other problem?

Not every low miles late model used car on a car lot is junk. I traded in a perfectly good 2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack with just over 2K miles after just 2 months to buy a new 2018 Hellcat. The R/T SP was in great condition. I broke it in by the book, gave it an early oil/filter service, and while I drove the car I never beat on it. Might add since you mentioned options I bought the above mentioned 2018 R/T SP in Dec. of 2017 for just its base price plus destination getting around $6K in options for "free". IOWs a car with an MSRP of nearly $47K I bought for $40090.

Be sure you test drive the car with the 5.7l engine to be sure it is acceptable to you. Generally two similar cars but the one with the bigger engine is the better car. The bigger engine doesn't have to work as hard as the smaller engine and gas mileage can be nearly the same. For example it takes around 45hp to move a car down a level highway at say 65mph. The 5.7l (340ci) engine puts out 375hp. 45hp then represents 12% of the engine's output. The 6.4l (392ci) puts out 485hp. With this engine 45hp represents around 9% of the engine's output. The bigger engine isn't working as hard. The car with the bigger engine is easier to drive -- though if the car is equipped with an automatic the automatic tends to mitigate the differences -- as the bigger engine produces more torque. The saying is we shop HP but drive torque.

The biggest gotcha with the bigger engine is (possibly) the cost of insurance.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,640 Posts
Very thoughtful and useful advice. The main reason this forum is so useful. Thanks for taking the time to spread your knowledge. Good luck to the original poster in the fun search for the right car.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,373 Posts
Leather gives you vented seats.
Good point Oregon. You are going to NEED those vented seats in those Ga. summers. They really cool off the seats. They make a difference and they're worth the price. Plus if you ever decide to sell it in Ga., those looking to buy will be wanting those vented seats as well. Something to think about.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you are going to be commuting in Atlanta, you do not want a 6 sp. It is traffic hell. If you don't need to commute, no problem. I'm also considering a 5.7 6 sp. Dealer let me drive a leftover 17 Shaker for the day while my SXT was being serviced and my thoughts are- it's faster, but not OMG faster. The 6 sp makes it more fun for sure and it sounds better than an automatic.

The dealer closest to me on the west side of ATL, just got 2 Demons in. He has 22 SXT's and 2 Demons. Quite the product mix, lol.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Buy last day of the month.

I worked for a DODGE dealer and watched them sell at a "digger" price of $7,000 or so UNDER msrp sticker to make their monthly sales goal numbers.

They lose a HUGE bonus from the manufacturer if they don't make their monthly sales numbers. ($80,000 bonus at the dealer I worked at)
Of course the "digger" price only applys if they need a few more cars on the last day.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
IF you don't want leather and can spend up to 40k scat packs sell for 38ish at MSRP. easily be out the door with taxes for less than 40k. I got the leather in my scat it looks nice. But I don't care what people say leather in any shape or form does not stay temperature neutral like cloth does. I can hop in a hot or cold car and the seats are never hot or cold.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
IF you don't want leather and can spend up to 40k scat packs sell for 38ish at MSRP. easily be out the door with taxes for less than 40k. I got the leather in my scat it looks nice. But I don't care what people say leather in any shape or form does not stay temperature neutral like cloth does. I can hop in a hot or cold car and the seats are never hot or cold.
Another item to consider: suede leather is a little more like cloth in that it doesn't feel as hot or as cold as regular leather.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Had the 2014 5.7 for 3 years and absolutely loved the car. No maintenance issues, great gas mileage, and really nice power. Nothing bad to say about it. Purchased a 6.4 and love it as well. Not quite as good gas mileage but that's to be expected. As one poster said, if your going to be in heavy traffic, go with the automatic. Me I live in Michigan - lots of rural areas and very little traffic on the west side of the state so my manual is perfect. But, if I lived back in Chicago, no way, would have to go with the auto, the traffic would take all the fun out of the manual. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
The M6 purists are going to chime in loudly, but you can't beat the A8 for all around performance and convenience. It's faster than the M6 (if that's what you wanna to), you can still shift it manually (if that's what you wanna do) and if you are sitting in Atlanta traffic (or God forbid, any road within 100 miles of the Highway to Hell aka I-95), you will be happy to not have to wear out your left knee.

The 5.7 is a perfectly fine motor that gives you lots of get-up-and-hump when you want it, but still runs on 87 or 89 octane (6.4 needs that 91 or better).

I'd recommend the best equipped R/T A/T you can afford. Don't worry about leather seats. Cloth and vented are nice, but as long as your A/C is working, you're not gonna stick to your leather seats....unless you're planning on jumping right in after a spirited bike ride, or basketball game, without hitting the showers first. I drive through the heart of Dixie (PA to South Florida), every summer, in my '13 R/T with Radar Red leather, and even 100 degree heat doesn't impact my seat comfort. Now if you wear booty shorts and bare-mid-riff t-shirts, you may not want your bare skin on leather. All depends on how you roll.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
As far as transmissions its personal choice. Straight line distance autos are faster, but you cant work the car like you can in a manual just cant. For me I only buy manuals in my sports cars and I'm on about car number 4. Reason being is this car is not my ever day car and only gets driven 4 maybe 5 months out of the year. so its a toy, I bought it for spirted driving, and frankly autos are boring what I want to do with it. Now if I was going to have one car and one car only Id really take a long hard look at getting an auto. In general I wouldn't buy a car like this as an only car anyways, very impractical with family, and hauling stuff.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
The M6 purists are going to chime in loudly, but you can't beat the A8 for all around performance and convenience. It's faster than the M6 (if that's what you wanna to), you can still shift it manually (if that's what you wanna do) and if you are sitting in Atlanta traffic (or God forbid, any road within 100 miles of the Highway to Hell aka I-95), you will be happy to not have to wear out your left knee.

The 5.7 is a perfectly fine motor that gives you lots of get-up-and-hump when you want it, but still runs on 87 or 89 octane (6.4 needs that 91 or better).

I'd recommend the best equipped R/T A/T you can afford. Don't worry about leather seats. Cloth and vented are nice, but as long as your A/C is working, you're not gonna stick to your leather seats....unless you're planning on jumping right in after a spirited bike ride, or basketball game, without hitting the showers first. I drive through the heart of Dixie (PA to South Florida), every summer, in my '13 R/T with Radar Red leather, and even 100 degree heat doesn't impact my seat comfort. Now if you wear booty shorts and bare-mid-riff t-shirts, you may not want your bare skin on leather. All depends on how you roll.
If you have a manual 5.7 you have to run it with premium gas. Also, the auto 5.7 cars aren't available with a LSD (posi) rear but are standard on 6 speed cars. The posi rear end may not matter to the OP but it is important to a lot of Challenger owners. If you get a '18+ R/T Plus with Super Track Pak (STP), it automatically gets the Scat Pack leather interior with the suede seats which never feel hot, even without the ventilation turned on. They are a must here in the South. I've had both the 392 and the 345 (5.7) and like them both. In daily driving the 5.7 feels a lot like the 392 but doesn't pull as hard at WOT. The 5.7 manual has 410 pounds or torque so it is a fun car to drive. Even in bad traffic, if you are a manual transmission guy you won't like the auto. Ask me how I know... >:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would like to thank you all for your help! I did in. fact end up getting the Challenger and a used one at that for a really good price. I found a 2015 R/T Plus with only 30k. It's a fully loaded variant without the super track pack, or the package that included the adaptive cruise control. It is also the 8-speed automatic. I took everyone's advice to heart and it is very appreciated! If the weather is nice today I'll get some pictures and post it up in the new member section!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
You might want to post your pictures on this thread as this is the one everybody's been posting on. So, did you get the manual or an AT? What kind of seats did you end up with? I"m a little rusty on what the various packages offer. Assuming you have ventilated leather as I think the 15 and above RT plus came with it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts