Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed at length and if so If anyone could help point me to the thread, we can just end this right here.

Here's me question to the forum. I'm wanting to make my R/T roar a little more when I fire her up, loud enough to sound really nice, and get some attention, but NOT loud enough to wake the neighbors or annoy families with little ones sleeping. Does that make sense? I really love the sound of a roaring muscle car, but I have to be reasonable here, also I don't particularly want to have to compete with my stereo while driving. This may be two contradicting things I'm looking for, and feel free to say so.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Replace the mid-mufflers with 6x14 magnaflow round mufflers and delete the resonators. Make sure to run 2 1/2 pipe from the crossover back. Cost me $200 plus the mufflers to have it done. Amazing sound. Deep and loud but quiet when cruising.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I'm sure this has been discussed at length and if so If anyone could help point me to the thread, we can just end this right here.

Here's me question to the forum. I'm wanting to make my R/T roar a little more when I fire her up, loud enough to sound really nice, and get some attention, but NOT loud enough to wake the neighbors or annoy families with little ones sleeping. Does that make sense? I really love the sound of a roaring muscle car, but I have to be reasonable here, also I don't particularly want to have to compete with my stereo while driving. This may be two contradicting things I'm looking for, and feel free to say so.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The solution to your problem is one I also sought earlier this year. In your response, you have described the Corsa Sport exhaust system to a "TEE." It performs exactly within your requirement criteria as it produces a "healthy V8 sound" when you are under acceleration (particularly at WOT,) but is as "tame as a kitten" when driving normally. The tone is "pure" and free of ANY drone, whatsoever - regardless of the speed; regardless as to whether or not MDS engages. In addition, Corsa systems are in a class of their own with regard to quality; note that they are also accompanied by a lifetime warranty.

There is NO better solution. They, however, are not a budget item. The quality of material and build, their patented noise-cancelling technology, etc. do make them a rather expensive option as compared to competing brands, as they typically run in the mid $1300 range (shipped.)

They are, however, worth every penny of their purchase price !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't have anything else !!!!!!!

Good luck, and..............

Regards,

Gary aka "beamg5"

·
Registered
627 Posts
Get cutouts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PLEASE, PLEASE forgive my ignorance here, but since I'm so new to all this, and trying to learn as fast as I can, I'm afraid I don't fully understand what cutouts are. I've heard them talked about a lot, but have never really followed up.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
This has been discussed many, many, many times. A simple search will turn up enough threads to keep you reading for days.

Bottom line is that there is no right answer.
What sounds great to one may sound like garbage to another.
I myself went with the Mopar cat-back kit, which I believe is made by Corsa.
More expensive than most, but to ME, it sounds great without being too loud and obnoxious....

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,117 Posts
I'm loving the Flowmaster Force II cat back system. Just the sound that I was looking for. Nice "rumble" at idle. deep roar at WOT, and quiet cabin at road speeds with my 2010 A5 R/TC. Used the stock tips on the system.

I couldn't be any happier with this system:

·
Registered
505 Posts
PLEASE, PLEASE forgive my ignorance here, but since I'm so new to all this, and trying to learn as fast as I can, I'm afraid I don't fully understand what cutouts are. I've heard them talked about a lot, but have never really followed up.
I'm new too but from what I've gathered cutouts are a way for you to bypass some of the sound muffling parts of your exhaust. Typically they're hooked up to a switch in your cabin. So, normal driving the cutouts are closed and using the stock exhaust. Flip the switch and the cutouts open and you get the roar. You can think of a cutout as a hole "cut out" of your exhaust that you can close/open. That's a simplified explanation. I'm sure others on here can add more context.

One thing (again from what I've gathered being new) you'd want to let everyone know what transmission you have. In an Automatic there is the MDS which shuts down some of the cylinders when cruising for fuel efficiency but the byproduct is the "drone" or annoying exhaust sound when MDS is engaged. You can purchase specific exhausts that minimize this drone.

You can get an exhaust that doesn't minimize the drone if you shut off MDS. Two ways of doing that - the cheap way is to go in autostick mode (i.e. you're "manually" shifting the car in the automatic) as MDS will not come on in autostick or you can buy a tuner that will turn it off. There may be other ways, but that's what I've gathered so far.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Corsa sport or extreme.

·
Registered
2012 Challenger SRT8
84 Posts
Zoomers, look it up on you tube a video with some chick eating an ice cream. That is what sold me, real life sounds just as good if not better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.