Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife just got hit and it totaled one of our trucks so we have decided to replace it with a used Hemi Challenger. I already have a 5.7 Ram Hemi in my Javelin so I want a Challenger with a Hemi also. My main concern is if there has been any reliability issues with certain year cars or motor package. Looking at 2012 and up, nicely optioned with an auto trans. No sunroofs, navigation and most other power options are a plus. I am looking at higher end packages with hood scoops and spoilers. I can find them locally for around $30k but before I buy I need to know what to look out for. I am a long term car guy so I can inspect the car but if there has been some issues with durability over time I have not done that research yet. I already went through many defects in both of my Ford trucks which required some pretty expensive fixes over the years and I want to avoid this on my next purchase. Looking to purchase a Challenger in the next few weeks before I lose the rental car.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,703 Posts
Welcome from California ;)

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
14,209 Posts
If you are looking for a used high end, low mileage Challenger, buy an SRT. You will get all of the performance, appearance and luxury items that Dodge has to offer. I have a 2009 SRT and have had no issues with it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm currently working 7 days a week so it makes it pretty tough to actually look at cars. We slow down on Tuesday so we can look since many of the cars available are not online. Already checked the popular sights and there seems to be no shortage of cars that fit my goals.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,049 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My AMX in my handle is actually a 1977 Hornet AMX that has been Prostreeted and currently not being driven. My daily driver is a 72 Javelin with a 2004 Ram 5.7 Hemi in it. It is currently under repair after getting rear ended twice. I'm starting to lean toward a new Challenger rather than used since I like the newer packages. Probably a 6.1 or 6.4 auto fully dressed with scoops and spoilers.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Welcome from Illinois. Well, now it seems that you have to decide what type of hood does it for you. The regular R/T, or the Shaker OR the SRT/TA type with the bubble in the middle.........or what ever it is. I am thinking by what you said that you would like the Scat Pack Shaker or SPS. All have the same engine. Good luck!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am actually starting to narrow it down to a 15 plus scat pack car based on the changes they made starting in 2015. I really like the shaker hood and the 6.4. My 5.7 does OK in my Javelin but it weighs a lot less than the current Challenger. I am actually looking into putting one in my 77 AMX also but that will need some power adders. I used a wrecked Ram donar for the Javelin and if I can find a wrecked Hellcat, it would be great for the AMX. A new Hellcat is just a little more than I want for my next driver car. I would love a Demon but it is just not practical for my needs. Been looking at a lot of YouTube reviews to narrow it down.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I am actually starting to narrow it down to a 15 plus scat pack car based on the changes they made starting in 2015. I really like the shaker hood and the 6.4. My 5.7 does OK in my Javelin but it weighs a lot less than the current Challenger. I am actually looking into putting one in my 77 AMX also but that will need some power adders. I used a wrecked Ram donar for the Javelin and if I can find a wrecked Hellcat, it would be great for the AMX. A new Hellcat is just a little more than I want for my next driver car. I would love a Demon but it is just not practical for my needs. Been looking at a lot of YouTube reviews to narrow it down.
Sounds like you are looking for a 15-16 SPS. Good choice. If buying now........so would I.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Welcome aboard! :) You will find a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts