Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I searched, but the newest thread I found on this topic is over a year old with others dating back to 2010, so hopefully this has been revisited outside the forums since...

The reason for my frustration, and as such, why I'm bringing this up the topic of louder horns: I've been cut off on the highway more times in my first month of Challenger ownership than in 6 years of Chevy Avalanche ownership, and I've had enough of it. Having a 4-door Accord jump in front of me today at 70 MPH, close enough that if I hadn't slammed the brakes he would have slammed my bumper, was the final straw.

It's time for a louder horn.

When I slammed the horn today it wasn't loud enough to really voice my anger with this Honda-driving [email protected] And yes, I got the full horn blast; definitely didn't miss the "sweet spot" on the wheel, as it seems is pretty easy to do.

So, has anybody added a louder, more menacing horn to their Challenger? I'm not looking for full-blown air-compressor powered train horns, as high-speed crashes caused by hundreds of decibels seems like a pretty awful idea, but something similar to the Hella Supertones that the Subaru guys commonly use comes to mind. Specific models would be great, as there's hundreds of options out there.

Thoughts, comments? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade my car for anything (well, maybe a Hellcat...), but I would like to add a little aggression to the one spot that it seems this car is really lacking.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Cheers,
Roody

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
I havent, but probably wouldn't be hard...I would love to add a big rig horn, because when i use the horn...i freaking mean it! I know your feeling...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have been driving for 45 years, and have used a horn very few times. You are to busy taking action to avoid the problem to blow the horn. Most of the horn blowing after the fact! "to voice frustration" or anger afterwards is useless. My 2c.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
it is odd that the horn is so puny in the challenger, barely noticeable when you lock it. My wife's charger is very very loud, I would say 4 times louder and our cars are both the same year....2014. I have been thinking of switching mine out to Charger horns at least

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most of the horn blowing after the fact! "to voice frustration" or anger afterwards is useless.
In this case, that would have been exactly the purpose!

I couldn't do anything about Mr. Accord thinking my lane was his lane this morning, but a nice loud honk on some serious horns could have voiced my anger. The Challenger's OEM horn was just a disappointment...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Can you hear dual tones? There should be a higher sound and a lower sound. I had one that was bad out of the factory. Never worked. Sounded a lot better than it did after they replaced it. But I agree it could be louder.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Lol..my Pontiac G6 has a louder horn than my R/T....It may in a different "key". My R/T has such a whimpy sound..I don't use it too often like Stonewall said..but it's another place for some improvement.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Here is the ultimate solution:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Haha yeah ive added the Hornblasters Shocker kit to my challenger! its sweet! Screams get outta the way! Its a set of 4 horns starting at 18in in length down to 10inches, also noted it requires a compressor an air tank but def worth it. mounted behind the grille front of the radiator. i still have the use of my stock horn just wired a toggle switch into the wires, and switch the train horns on and off at will. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Hood if you look close you can see the "plumbing" in my grille.

·
Registered
16,301 Posts
I've got the Cadillac 4-horn factory "train" setup in my truck, but just don't think it would sound right in the Challenger. This was probably the nicest OEM horn set ever.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CoSwift, how difficult was installation? Any battery drain when you hit the horn?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Roody I will watch this cuz I feel the same way. We have wimpy horns for a big car. No I don't use it much,but when I do I want people to hear it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
it wasnt too bad took roughly an hour to set up and 30 mins to run the airline. a mounting bracket was needed to mount the set up. and nope no battery drain.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have not had any problem with people running me off the road with my SRT8 ,
( Ha Ha ) I can get out of their way but a loud horn could be useful & fun at times .:p but defensive driving and the power to get out of trouble is better then a loud horn.:cool:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How much was the setup?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.