Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to Cam my challenger by next summer. What cam do you recommend, the price range, and what all goes into putting a cam in.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,543 Posts
An upgraded cam will be $300-500 by itself, and it may require lifters, valve springs, and other hardware to be installed to make it work and keep the warranty on the cam intact. The more aggressive the upgrade, the more likely you’ll need to buy the extra hardware.

I’m guessing you should plan on spending at least $1000 for the cam and associated parts alone to upgrade the cam in your 392.

Installing it does not require the engine to be pulled out of the car, but it does require cylinder head removal, so the labor to install your upgraded cam and associated hardware will likely be at least as expensive as the parts bill.

Finally, your cam upgrade will require a custom tune to be done for the car. Without that, the engine won’t run right with the upgraded cam, and in fact, it may not run at all if you go aggressive enough with the upgrade.

Im not sure what the cost of the custom tune for an upgraded cam runs, but I would guesstimate it will be several hundred dollars at least.

All together, if you don’t have $2500 or so of disposable income to drop on this mod, I would think you will have a tough time getting it done, or getting it done right anyway.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
459 Posts
How many miles on the car? If it's under 30k you don't need lifters therefore don't need to pull heads which can save about $600. But if the car is an automatic you definitely have to change the lifters.

I paid $250 for an email tune for my cam.

For the 392 you can go with the comp 270,274, comp HRT stage 2/3, MMX custom grinds, or just a custom grind in general from any of the Mopar shops. All depends on what you want out of the cam, sound, power, if it's gonna see boost, daily driver, race car.

I highly recommend throwing a set of long tube headers on with the cam if you can, the combo is much more effective at making power than just one or the other alone.

If you do the install and play your cards right, it can be done for ~$1500 with pulling the heads

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I put a Comp 270 in my Car a couple of years again. With all associated parts I spent around $1800. I did the install myself so labor was my own. If you are serious about this mod. I have both a Comp 270 & 274 I’m trying to sell. I’ve got Mopar Springs rated up to .650 lift that I can throw in to help out with cost as well. You would still need to source a phaser limiter, lifters if you have an auto, head gaskets and a tune. There are several good email tuners out there but I used Jay Green at the time of my cam install. He was very good to work with. A realistic cost for this job is around 4K if you don’t do the work yourself. That’s what I was quoted and that is why I did the work myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nuke

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If you buy the components from those of us that have gone different directions you could save there and then just have to deal with installation cost.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,810 Posts
It sounds like some good deals found here in this thread for someone that wants to put a cam in their Challenger!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Comp cams has been coming out with some nice packages i want to say sub $1,000 including their lifters

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Comp cams has been coming out with some nice packages i want to say sub $1,000 including their lifters
Please post up said packages. I’ve been on the Comp site for weeks and the cheapest I’ve seen has been $1058.79. This kid doesn’t include lifters. So if you are an Auto kits are listing for $1554.62.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Please post up said packages. I’ve been on the Comp site for weeks and the cheapest I’ve seen has been $1058.79. This kid doesn’t include lifters. So if you are an Auto kits are listing for $1554.62.

I think i was a bitt off here

When i bought my car in 2016 cams ALONE were going for $1,000’s

The HRT stage 2 cam goes for $493 on their website. Lifters and springs and rods can be had for another $500 even of you dont go through comp

No lifters in this kit but prices are goin down for our gen 3 hemi parts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I can agree with you on that. Prices are finally starting to drop. I just bought the HRT Stage 2 Turbo cam last week. It appears to be a very good grind. I wasn’t trying to be an A$$ just want to help keep this forum filled with accurate info. There are lots of folks who have helped me along the way here over the years so I try hard to return the favor in kind. I have a problem with Inaccurate information. I’m a little OCD with stuff like that. I hope I didn’t rub you the wrong way.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I can agree with you on that. Prices are finally starting to drop. I just bought the HRT Stage 2 Turbo cam last week. It appears to be a very good grind. I wasn’t trying to be an A$$ just want to help keep this forum filled with accurate info. There are lots of folks who have helped me along the way here over the years so I try hard to return the favor in kind. I have a problem with I. Accurate information. I’m a little OCD with stuff like that. I hope I didn’t run you the wrong way.

I just replied while driving so i didnt bother looking it up didnt come off as nothin to me brotha im with you!

What i am curious about though are their new lifters and if they’re are any different then our non-mds lifters

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Soooo there are new lifters, but they are just the revised part number for our factory non MDS lifters. I know that Johnson lifters are out there, but they are priced fairly high at almost 1K per set. Eventually I’m planning on getting a set of them but not for a while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
An upgraded cam will be $300-500 by itself, and it may require lifters, valve springs, and other hardware to be installed to make it work and keep the warranty on the cam intact. The more aggressive the upgrade, the more likely you’ll need to buy the extra hardware.

I’m guessing you should plan on spending at least $1000 for the cam and associated parts alone to upgrade the cam in your 392.

Installing it does not require the engine to be pulled out of the car, but it does require cylinder head removal, so the labor to install your upgraded cam and associated hardware will likely be at least as expensive as the parts bill.

Finally, your cam upgrade will require a custom tune to be done for the car. Without that, the engine won’t run right with the upgraded cam, and in fact, it may not run at all if you go aggressive enough with the upgrade.

Im not sure what the cost of the custom tune for an upgraded cam runs, but I would guesstimate it will be several hundred dollars at least.

All together, if you don’t have $2500 or so of disposable income to drop on this mod, I would think you will have a tough time getting it done, or getting it done right anyway.
Thanks man

1 - 14 of 14 Posts