Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Is now the time to buy?

• Yes, a '21 will likely be the best 3rd Gen we'll get before the redesign

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No, there's a better time in the year to order a '21 MY (comment below)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Dodge is really cooking up something special in the coming years you'll regret not waiting for

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Redeye
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been waiting for a few years to buy my Hellcat. I really love this generation car and I was going to buy one in 2018 when Dodge introduced the WB. But I waited, because I felt it was a little too early in the cycle. In 2019, Dodge gave us the Redeye and my patience was rewarded. But I waited because I heard rumors of an ACR and maybe a whole new generation in 2021. 2020 didn't give us anything new except that the rumor mill now says the new generation will be in 2023. The latest rumor mill stuff is also saying the ACR isn't going to happen.

I've only ever bought used cars and, when I do, I really try to aim for the last two years of a vehicle's generation. I feel at that point you get the most refined, perfected version of that car you can get. All of the bugs should be sorted at that point, all of the performance upgrades will be available. But this is my first factory order and with no crystal ball to say when Dodge is going to end this generation Challenger's run, it's hard to nail down that window.

I'm thinking this winter will be the time. I think the 2021 Challenger is very likely in the "last 2 years window" (or at least the last 3) and should be the best version of the 3rd Gen Challenger we'll see before the redesign (4th Gen). Also, car discounts right now are very good and will probably be as good or better this winter. And, of course, end of year sales will help some, too. I'll probably submit the order in late-August, early-November so I can pick up in December. It'll definitely be a nice Christmas present. :)

Do any of you have a suggestion to a better time to submit the order? I know none of us have crystal balls here, but do any of you have thoughts as to whether the 2021 MY will fall into that "last 2years" category? Do you think the '21 will be the best version of this generation Challenger we'll get before the redesign?

Just looking to get a second opinion from the experts before I sign on that dotted line this winter. :)

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,204 Posts
General rule is the cars that are made towards the end of the current "generation" are the best. They incorporate both public and secret updates/fixes/improvements. They represent the most mature cars of the current generation.

In this respect then the best time to buy is before the next round of a "big" upgrade or substantial refresh.

Thus ordering a car that would have one of the last cars off the assembly line would be the "best" time to order.

But you have to be confident in that doing this and the next model has some option or feature you won't be down on your choice and regret it.

For example I bought a 2018 Hellcat. In 2019 the RE appeared. While I'm sure the RE is a nice car it in no way makes me think less of my 2018. I'm quite satisfied with my choice.

If you want to wait for the refresh or model update the general rule is to skip the 1st year. These 1st year models often prove to be a bit of a problem. If you must have a car from the 1st year of a refresh or model update then time your order to get a car built towards the end of the production run. This will have improvements and fixes/updates applied as the factory sorts out issues and problem areas.

·
Registered
2019 RT Scat Pack 6MT Sublime Green
170 Posts
By your definition, you will not know if 2021 is the best time until you see a clear commitment from Chrysler to the next generation Challenger. I do not see any commitment as of now. Based on my limited research of the next gen on internet, my conclusion is that we know nothing. The release date was 2018 or 2019 at certain points, then 2021 or 2023 (or beyond). Heck, 5.7L Hemi was supposed to be phased out in 2018 according to some articles, but it is still alive and kicking. Now we know 2021 is not going to happen. I have a suspicion that it may not be even in works. It seems Chrysler y does not have an exit strategy of the current gen, so my guess is that they will keep chugging until the sales finally dwindle down. When that happens, do they even have enough capital and resources to launch the next generation? At the same time, the Dodge brand does not have much else to sell, so... the whole situation is very interesting, least to say.

If you are not in any rush, my recommendation is to just keep waiting. On the other hand, if something catches your eyes and heart (e.g. a variation, a special color), you might as well just make a leap of faith.

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,119 Posts
If you want a '21 you will have to wait and order in November. I ordered my 2019 in late Aug and took delivery in late Sept.
I think we are in the best years of the platform and really there is no reason to wait. I'm on my 3rd Challenger and have been involved with it since the beginning in 2009. Plus...the power dollars rebates wont last forever!

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,090 Posts
After reading these posts the thought that strikes me first is about all the water that is passing under the bridge while a strategy is being formulated. In other words, you could be enjoying a very nice car right now instead of thinking about it and hoping about the validity of rumors. Not to say planning ahead isn’t a good thing, but sitting on ones hands for years possibly seems like a wasted opportunity.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
505 Posts
After reading these posts the thought that strikes me first is about all the water that is passing under the bridge while a strategy is being formulated. In other words, you could be enjoying a very nice car right now instead of thinking about it and hoping about the validity of rumors. Not to say planning ahead isn’t a good thing, but sitting on ones hands for years possibly seems like a wasted opportunity.
That's why I am buying now, rather than waiting. Time waits for no one. Granted the OP already has a Challenger, so this is more an upgrade vs. a new owner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts