Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I am looking to purchase a challenger in the next month or so and was looking for information on the differences between the 2010-2014 model years. I can't really tell if there was any major differences between these vehicles in all of the sites I've looked at. I was unsure if there might have been a mechanical or electrical problem in 1 year as opposed to the other. I noticed subtle cosmetic differences in these vehicles but that's about it.

I am 90% sure I will purchase a new car in the next month or so and want it to be a challenger but with so many years to choose from I just don't see a difference.

·
Registered
508 Posts
If you are planning on a SXT, the big difference is the engine. Also, there is some difference in the seats, steering wheel, and some other small stuff. When I first looked at the Challenger in 09, with the six, I wasn't sold, (no offense to those owners of the 9 & 10's) the car just did not feel right. When I bought my 12, I was happy I waited, the car feels great, it is very comfortable, and just looks cool. Grant it it has it short comings, the throttle lag takes some getting used to, but if you drive the car spirted, it learns, if you mope around, it learns. I have got at best 31+mpg, on the highway, in town 20 or so. The one thing I would have done different would have been to get the Plus package, with better options over the base setup. Whitch ever way you go, you will be happy with the car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
387 Posts
The SE model became the SXT model in 2012. When that happened, the base price went up but so did the content. Each model year got progressively better in terms of interior and exterior features. For example, my 2014 is the cheapest base model you could possibly buy...but it's got leather steering wheel and shift knob, auto climate control, dual exhaust tips, chrome flip out fuel door, EVIC with steering wheel buttons, tilt on the drivers seat for rear entry, etc. etc.... all things that used to be options you had to order. So just keep that in mind...each model year has more features than the previous.

As far as transmissions go...I think the 09-10 cars got the 4 speed auto from the old days, and the 11-14 cars got the WA580 5 speed automatic. I've never driven one with the old 4 speed auto. The newer 5 speed auto is a strong transmission...but the ratios SUCK and the TCM controller is programmed HORRIBLY and in my opinion it is the #1 worst feature of the car. Thankfully, you can use Autostick to manually select gears if you want to.

As far as engines go, the 3.5 in the 09-10 cars was proven and reliable...just not as strong. The 11-14 cars get the 3.6 which is a brand spanking new clean sheet design. Personally I'd stay away from 11-12 models because there were problems with the Pentastar engine during that time...some of which were major mechanical problems. In my opinion it's just a little risky. The 13-14 cars have the newer heads and most of the problems have been solved.

As far as body and electrical...I don't think any model years have significant problems. They are all pretty much on par with each other.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Have you test driven one yet?

I was surprised it was as agile as it was for a car of it's size. The back seat isn't as much of a joke as it is with Mustang's(I had a 2005).

I have now owned an '09 S/E, and now have a 2013 SXT.

My nod would have to go to the 2013 just for the engine and added features. I can get 30+ MPG on the Highway, which is why I wanted a V-6. But I was at 25+ in the '09 with less HP.

In the end, you are the only one that knows your priorities. If you want a great car, any year Challenger will work. :icon_wink:

·
Registered
499 Posts
IMO you should wait to see what the 2015 Challengers have to offer. I know you're itching to get one within the next month, but you'll kick yourself if the 2015 models are faster, more efficient and sexier than previous years. However, if you're anything like me you've already fallen in love with the looks of the current design and nothing could pull you away!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses I'm currently looking at the '11 models. I can't wait until '15 because I'm impatient and honestly have something against buying a brand new car. I purchased 1 new car in my life and it was hands down the biggest POS I have ever owned. I think it was built on a Friday and the workers just said F this. I own a '70 GTO and '69 Nova so I have no desire for a V8 for those saying to take a look at the RT or how many HP they're pushing as I have other toys for that.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thanks for the responses I'm currently looking at the '11 models. I can't wait until '15 because I'm impatient and honestly have something against buying a brand new car. I purchased 1 new car in my life and it was hands down the biggest POS I have ever owned. I think it was built on a Friday and the workers just said F this. I own a '70 GTO and '69 Nova so I have no desire for a V8 for those saying to take a look at the RT or how many HP they're pushing as I have other toys for that.
Mine was built just before lunchtime on the Friday before this past Thanksgiving. I guess I'm screwed. :smiley18:

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
You should be able to get an 11 at a decent price. Let us know if you get it or not.

I'm with you on wanting a V-6. I have a 70 Challenger that can drink gas with the best of them. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts