Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 R/T Classic with the 5.7 engine and stock brakes. Been looking at a few web sits but am wondering what you folks have switched to and how you like your upgraded slotted rotors and ceramic pads. Kinda want to stay away from drilled rotors, just slotted. I'm tired of cleaning the wheels twice a week to get the brake dust off them. Would like to only do it once a week or less.

·
Registered
87 Posts
subscribed for same info. I only have 5000 miles on my challenger but the wife's charger is due for brake pads soon.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A very noticeable upgrade for me was installing Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines with Hawk HPS pads.
Thanks BklynAJ, were the Hawk HPS pads ceramic, is there much brake pad dust on your front wheels now?

·
Registered
636 Posts
I see a lot of people going with hawks. If you go with a ceramic pad there will be no brake dust and they grab hard, but I think the drawback is ceramics chew up the rotors.

Something you may want to look into is the " big brake solution" thread in the brake and suspension section. Pretty good idea where the larger police rotors are used to save some money.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Something you may want to look into is the " big brake solution" thread in the brake and suspension section. Pretty good idea where the larger police rotors are used to save some money.
Great suggestion BlackCuda, thanks. Will spend some time in that thread. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
braided brake lines help a lot from what I've read [never experienced, but thats down the line.] Speedlogix sells a lot of rotors and Pads, but if you really want to upgrade they also sell big brake kits.

shifty

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks BklynAJ, were the Hawk HPS pads ceramic, is there much brake pad dust on your front wheels now?
HPS - High Performance Street | Hawk Performance

No they are Ferro-Carbon. I am very pleased with the performance of them. Nice bite especially with the stock rotors. Quite and very low dust. I have the Heritage Wheels and after a track session it's barely noticeable. So regular street driving you wont see it for a while.

I highly recommend these pads.

·
Registered
309 Posts
HPS - High Performance Street | Hawk Performance

No they are Ferro-Carbon. I am very pleased with the performance of them. Nice bite especially with the stock rotors. Quite and very low dust. I have the Heritage Wheels and after a track session it's barely noticeable. So regular street driving you wont see it for a while.

I highly recommend these pads.
I know the feeling on the brake dust on heritage wheels. After 3 runs down the track my turn dull. At 5k miles my stock brakes are already starting to squeal. I had hawk Hps pads on my Camaro and had zero dust and they stopped great.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
268 Posts
i just added the hawk ferro carbon brakes and the squeal like an old school bus lol what did i do wrong!

Sorry to hear that. I had a shop install my pads and lines. Can’t imagine what you did wrong. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge in this area will respond.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts

·
Premium Member
668 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have just over 11,000 miles on my 2010. I've done a few mods...my brakes are feeling "mushy" now. I have heard that those Stainless lines can help out on that "mushy" feeling...I don't think my pads are bad just yet.

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
mushy could mean some air is in the system or your pads have entered the second part of their life; if you boiled the brake fluid aeration of the system can occur but it means you drive it hard

brake pads especially semi race ones such as ECB yellow or track ones such as Carbotech XP10's will squeal at bedding; once bedded and at temperature they will not; if you wash your car, they will squeal again

another thing is the brake pad paste that comes with brake pads; use sparingly in between the shims and the brake pads; the squealing will stop right away; on race set up none of that paste is recommended but in my case i used shims and a bit of paste on my XP10's and it worked fine; use sparingly and only between the shim and the pad; NOT on the shim side facing the brake caliper pistons; that will become a real mess; heat up, dry up and become a PITA

race pads usually do not use shims and any paste as race cars run without ABS and the driver needs to feel everything through the pedal to gauge his foot pressure and avoid wheel lock and flat spotting a slick

here are my feedback from the field

ODP

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.