Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
On my last two oil changes on my 2015 RT Plus, I have used royal purple oil filters. The first one worked fine buy the second one came loose twice. I'm not sure if this was just error on my part or what but I worry about it happening again. I was thinking of going with the SRT filter on my 5.7. I read in another thread that they were made by Wix but there seem to be a few different part numbers online. Anyone have a recommendation? Also some advice on the actual filter change just in case?

Thanks as always!

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
You can't go wrong with the SRT oil filter and is what I use. I wouldn't take a chance with filters that may come loose on my car.

And make sure that there isn't an old filter gasket stuck on the block which can definitely lead to leaks.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
694 Posts
Every manufacturer has a bad one go through from time to time...
...as per my mechanic...
I had been using K&N's for a while with no problems, but this last one failed ( just leaking ) ...so went back to a Wix which I have been using on all my cars for years...

·
Registered
760 Posts
K&Ns run great on any application, highly recommend.

·
Premium Member
9,365 Posts
On the package it states how far to turn once a filter makes contact. Put a marker arrow on the bottom and tighten as far as you're instructed to do. You may not have gone far enough to compress the gasket sufficiently.

·
Registered
14,292 Posts
I like to hand tighten and then get my filter end wrench and go another 1/4 turn, no way it's coming loose if you do that and still no issue getting off. I did have a filter get loose and leak on the Vette the many years ago, that car had a mechanical oil gauge and used to run exactly 35 psi on the highway. When I noticed the pressure slowly dropping one day on the highway, I pulled over and look underneath the car to find oil pouring on the ground. Thank God for a real gauge and not an idiot light or I might have lost the engine by the time the light came on.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow thanks for the input everyone. Perhaps I was too afraid to over tighten and didn't compress the seal enough. I'll take your guys' advice on tightening.

As far as the SRT filter, would this be the correct part number to use on my application: 5038041AA

1 - 8 of 8 Posts