Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple days ago my shifter started to feel a little bit loose and now it seems like there is quite a bit of play in the shifter that was not there before. I lifted the boot and the two bolts holding the handle are tight. Any ideas on what this could be? It started not long after I tuned with the Predator but I doubt that would make any difference.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'd recommend checking the bolt that attaches the handle to the shift rod at the transmission. It is located under the transmission tunnel, so the entire console and access panel under it has to come out to tighten it.

Some have had the bolt back out, it should have blue Loctite on the threads. You may be able to get under the car and see the bolt.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got under the car today and checked all the bolts underneath and they all seem to be tight still. I had some move the shifter around while I was under checking and could not locate anything loose. Could I be feeling the transmission break in some? How much play is normal left and right when in gear?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I felt that play as well and looked around. It ended up being the link between the shifter and the round rod that comes out of the transmission. The link in between is somewhat loose but because of the leverage of the handle, it feels worse at the top of the handle. Because of the reduction in leverage again, it became less with the Hurst shifter mechanism. The play was left to right only.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this something that the dealer can fix or considered normal? Don't feel like spending a whole day at the dealer for them to find "nothing" wrong and have to remove predator tune for no reason.

·
Registered
408 Posts
If you have the same thing as me and it's the red part in the picture above, it's some kind of metal piece that fits over the transmission pin/shaft and it's held by a clip. In my case, it is loose. I left it alone for now since it's less noticeable with the Hurst but it seems easy to change. If it gets worse, I'll look at changing it or use epoxy..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts