Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I need change front rotors of my SRT and I can not loosen the screws. Is there reverse screw thread or normal? I tried to heat the screw but here is the result... (bent ratchet :frown:). How can I loosen the screws? :SM030:

(I am sorry for my English)

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
You need an impact gun.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you have a good quality ratchet ie. snap on, even a craftsman with a cheater bar, you can break them loose, they should be 140 ft lbs, so its doable without an impact. Surprisingly you can reuse them over.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You very much. And my last question. Is there normal, or reverse screw thread? Normal is loosen the screw to the left. Maybe I'm paranoid, but... :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Normal, right hand thread, righty tighty lefty loosey, give it a good snap or kick with your foot if it's on the ground to break it loose.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Counterclockwise to loosen it. You may find that they used a medium-duty loctite on the threads (It will likely look white or blue). When I do my brakes I always use some blue loctite when i reassemble. That's not imperative, or required (as many will likely tell you) but I tend to do it as I always have my impact hammer and torque wrench available to put it on and torque to correct specs.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hi everyone,

I need change front rotors of my SRT and I can not loosen the screws. Is there reverse screw thread or normal? I tried to heat the screw but here is the result... (bent ratchet :frown:). How can I loosen the screws? :SM030:

(I am sorry for my English)
Need to use a breaker bar or larger ratchet. Stateside it would be 1/2" drive or larger for added strength.

An additional pipe over the breaker bar for leverage will make it easier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaker_bar

Or like posted above a good pneumatic impact gun.

·
Registered
486 Posts
As GreeninTN said above. Wrench handle should be rigid enough that it will not bend when hit with a hammer.
Hitting the wrench handle with a hammer is typically better then brute force with less chance of shearing the bolt. But if the handle has any give to it, it won't transfer the torque properly.
Also, you could spray some PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench or WD-40 and let it sit a bit and give it a few taps with a hammer, before trying it again.
Also, if you use heat, you should concentrate the heat on the female part rather then the bolt, as much as possible, rap the end of the bolt a couple of times to help break the bond, then wrench it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts