Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum but glad it’s here considering I don’t know jack about cars really. I drive a 2013 SXT V6 with 53k miles. Recently when I go to pull small hills it seems to shift up a gear and drops RPMs so I push the throttle farther and it kicks in and pulls fine. Is that a problem or am I just over reacting??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
413 Posts
There a any number of factors that can be suspect if you have noticed a recent loss of power. Did you change Gas stations? (possible bad gas) Your tune up items.....Air filter, gas filter (if serviceable) Spark plugs.

Spark plugs do last 100K mile easily now days....but they do wear and performance degrades slightly and progressively. I always change my plugs and ALL my fluids at 30K miles. I always notice a marked improvement in performance. At a minimum.....I would install new plugs, Air filter, add a fuel injector cleaner to the gas tank as well as change the rear end fluid. That should make a considerable difference and restore your power. Don't forget to change the engine coolant if not done already. Your cooling system will thank you! Make sure your tires are pumped up on the high side as well. Summer heat causes power loss and lower pressure tires cause extra rolling resistance. Good luck and keep us posted....Gene.

You can also pull the engine ECU fuse for about 20 minutes and reinstall. This resets the engine computer to Factory settings. This is a good thing to do once in a while. Us racers do that at the track.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,146 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) Since it does kick down a gear with more throttle, it may not be an issue. Does this seem to be a change in how it would react on the same type hill? You might try pulling fuse #2 for a few seconds to reset the adaptives and see if there is a change.

A Guy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the input, really nice to know you guys are here. I’m out of town for work so as soon as I get back I’m going to have plugs and fluids changed. Is pulling the ECU fuse something I can do on my own?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks for all the input, really nice to know you guys are here. I’m out of town for work so as soon as I get back I’m going to have plugs and fluids changed. Is pulling the ECU fuse something I can do on my own?
Absolutely! On my 16 Scat...it's # 31 in the Fuse Block which is under hood. It sits on the passenger side basically inline with the right front wheel. It is very easy to get to and just be careful pulling the fuse as to not drop it. I use a pair of needle nose pliers because they are easier for me. There is a "legend" under the cover for this Block illustrating where all fuses go and what they are......as well as in the Owners Manual under "Fuses" section. Piece of cake! Please let us know how it turns out for you...Gene:)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,146 Posts
Yes, as stated above, under hood PDC (Power Distribution Center...fuse box, lol).

Fuse number 2 on -2014 cars.

A Guy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts