Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Driving my new R/T 6 spd with 2500 miles on the clock home today from work. Almost home and it starts acting like its not getting fuel or spark under light acceleration. Normally, in third of fourth cruising on the flats or anywhere really and i can feed in throttle and it just pulls consistently, but it started hesitating and lagging bigtime...totally new experience.

Tried feeding in around 3-4K rpms up a gradual long hill and it started knocking and lagging badly, very unusual. Anyone else every experience this? Forgot to say it was just under 80 degrees out and i was running 87 octane and had commuted in my normal city traffic for about an hour when this started happening? Fuel quality issue?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,312 Posts
either a throttle body issue or the knock sensors went out of range - that's my guess.

another possibility could be problems with the fuel hat (pump) assembly.

·
Premium Member
4,694 Posts
Could be bad gas. Run it down and fill it up with premium top tier gas, like Chevron or Shell or Costco.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
No codes? It not the 87 octane. If u just filled up and experienced this then I would suspect the bad gas but if it's just out of the blue it's got to be something electrical.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i normally mix 87 and 92, but recently filled up with 87 at kind of a sketchy station, 3/4 of a tank left and it starts acting up. I'll put 92 in it and see what happens tomm, if not resolved, will i damage it by driving it to dearlership or should I have it towed on their dime?

thanks for all the replies,

Endoz

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Good luck! I would guess bad fuel as well. My wife is a store manager and a couple weeks ago, her fuel delivery driver filled up the tanks and a couple hour later he called and told her shut down the pumps and do not sell anymore fuel as it was contaminated with too much water. Not even 30 minutes later she got a couple calls about their cars messing up.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
i normally mix 87 and 92, but recently filled up with 87 at kind of a sketchy station, 3/4 of a tank left and it starts acting up. I'll put 92 in it and see what happens tomm, if not resolved, will i damage it by driving it to dearlership or should I have it towed on their dime?

thanks for all the replies,

Endoz
If you can hear it rattle like marbels in a tin can,,, ahhh you got problems.
First, the motor detnates, then the knock sensors hear this knock at that mila second the timing is reduced via the pcm telling it to pull timing. So it pulls timing, and if the knock is still there, pcm pulls more timing till the sensors hear no more knock. It then will add timing back in at a set rate depending on the many factors within the pcm software tables.
To be honest Id never put 87octane in a Hemi, and when its bad 87oct, eeeks its worse.
And to get it to detnate without going wot,,, is real bad.
Try and dump the fuel if you can or burn it out at least to half a tank and find some 104 octane and dump in ten gallons. You need really good fuel to mix with shit fuel. Mixing ok fuel with shit fuel gets you almost nowhere.
FlatTop
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
If it acting that bad then it's more then just a few points low on octane. If it's missing and sputtering then u either have an engine problem or water in the fuel. I wouldn't think it would take a quarter tank before u started to notice a problem. A few years back I had a New bike for a few days and filled it up with watery gas. I didn't make it a mile down the road before it wouldn't run at all.

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
As others have mentioned, 87 is not what you should be running, especially with a 6-speed. The 6-speeds take 91+, this is straight from the owner's manual. The manual says that 89 is acceptable if 91 isn't available, but not 87. If you got the 87 from some off-brand place then it's possible that it's not even actually 87 but less.

The PCM can only pull so much timing for KR, that will cause a pretty heavy loss of power, and then if it can't pull enough timing then you'll still get pretty bad pinging/detonation that will cause damage if allowed to continue.

If your tank is mostly full of that stuff then you could try a bottle (or two) of octane boost to try and make that tank of fuel usable, otherwise you might want to think about having the tank drained/pumped out. Sounds drastic, but if the engine is running as bad as you say then it would be much more expensive, and not covered under warranty, if you kept driving it while running so bad.

No codes/CEL is expected, there's nothing to set a code for at this point since pinging isn't a misfire, which would set a code.

Good luck, hopefully it's an easy fix and not an expensive lesson!

Reactions: salvy59

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Endoz, your gonna have to have it drained or burn that crap outta there. If draining is not to your liking then you had better plan a couple or three hours at highway (70+ mph) at light throttle to prevent knock. It will run on it without harm unless you have your foot in it.

Had this happen a couple years back at a BP station. I always look for a name brand station in a high traffic area with premium fuel. I guess this one sold a lot of gas to minivan and suv drivers and not so much premium. That or they just had 87 dumped in their "high octane" tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all the input. Put premium in this morning and it ran normal. Since I do 30+ mi's of light driving in city traffic (ie. commuting) with no load or real hills to speak of I thought I could get away with 87 but apparently I was mistaken! Crap, I gotta move closer to work now!

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts