Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or a period of 54 years been involved with special interest cars,mostly muscle cars.in 05 got a gt mustang and in 13 got a new 6 speed challenger.i go to a lot of car events but my interest in the old cars has diminished to the point its about non existant now. anyone else expericng this

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
I hear ya! I've been on the fence for two years trying to decide if I should get another 'Cuda or a new Challenger. Today I am planning a 2015 purchase this summer but that could change when I start seeing all the classics coming out of winter hibernation! One way or another there will be another vehicle in the garage this year!

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
I really love the classics and enjoy looking at them. The only downsides of these cars are:

1. I don't have the time or inclination to keep one running.
2. The attitude of many of the owners turns me off. Especially the ones that bought their cars already restored or paid someone to do the restoration and then take all the credit while looking down on newer muscle.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I still love old cars...but from a practical standpoint, I know New Muscle is the best use of my money right now.

I bought my first car the summer before my senior year of High School...a 1967 Galaxie 500. It took some doing, but we got it running (the car had last been registered in 1982, and I bought it in 1992).

Two years later, I bought a 1962 Impala.

Both cars were a lot of fun to drive, but had this scary way of making paychecks and weekends disappear (usually in conjunction with making various stains appear in my parents driveway).

Someday, I'd love to have another old car...something from the late 1950's with huge fins...or a 1970 Coronet...or a 67 Mustang Fastback....or a....well crap, now look what you've made me do

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
They have their place. Unfortunately that place is not as a daily driver, as they used to be. I think we are all getting used to modern day conveniences that are not on the older machines. Another thing is, or memories have them as being these super quick road warriors, when in actuallity, compared to modern cars, they were not all that fast, stock (and I'm not saying they couldn't be made to go fast). I really appreciate their styling more than anything else, as it seems style has gone out the window for most modern cars. They all look the same, in general. I also have pretty much have gotten worn out on car shows over the last 5 years and rarely attend them. I mostly go to the events where there is cruising or that one can come and go as they wish. Static displays are boring and once you've seen one, you seen them all.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Let's see, worse mileage, reliability, handling, braking,.... What's to miss?? Sold my C3 Vette for a C5 a few years ago and never looked back. Then I got the Challenger and it sure is nice compared to my 1st Charger back in the 70's.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have had many hot rods and classic cars. Beautiful , but not practical for a daily driver. I still love them but after years of going to car shows and special events...that is what I got tired of and sold my collection. Now I just love to drive my Challenger SRT , and look at others driving by in neat old hot rods & classics . I still love to see them.:) :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I would own an old muscle car as a hobby car if I won a lottery and could devote a fair portion of time and money feeding, housing and caring for it properly. I can't right now. But I don't think I'll ever lose the enthusiasm for them though. They had a brutal and honest beauty about them. It's hard to put into words but these are the words that come to mind.

The retro cars of today certainly would outperform any of them in anything other than a straight line. And as for the straight line performance only in a very few cases could some rarified cars of the day compete when rolled off the assembly line and onto the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I still enjoy the heck out of seeing the old classics and going to the local shows. I hope that never goes away. I have changed a little in the way I look at them however. I used to be interested in how good the restoration was and specifically what kind of car it was. Now I enjoy looking at any old car and am amazed at the styling they used to do and wonder how they stamped some of those panels! Not to mention how BIG some of those cars were. Many of them would not fit in some of todays garages. Cant wait for the local shows to start.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
recently did a road trip to rod run in pigeon forge wasn't really interested in the old cars as I used to be.but was amazed at the interest developing in the new Camaro mustang challenger thing.also observed about 10 of the new gtos there.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Personally I love both old and new designs, but I'm only 29 and I'm used to the modern amenities. However, if I could get a 69 Charger exterior with a 2015 Challenger interior and a Hellcat engine I'm sold. I'm dreaming of course!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Love the old cars...would love to own one...don't have the space, time, or money for one at this point though. However, my passion and love for them is not going to dry up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
or a period of 54 years been involved with special interest cars,mostly muscle cars.in 05 got a gt mustang and in 13 got a new 6 speed challenger.i go to a lot of car events but my interest in the old cars has diminished to the point its about non existant now. anyone else expericng this
Yes. Too many interests and not enough spare time.

I looked at a Cougar Eliminator that needed a great deal of work and then cars from my youth late 70s Trans Am thru EFI 5.0 to restore and it was too much time investment compared to other things I like to do.
Maintaining the current inventory of cars at home in shape,(three), takes a lot of work as is.

Then there is the wife and keeping her happy so she keeps me happy....

·
Registered
497 Posts
LOve looking at them but I am soooo done working on vehicles or anything for that matter. So I guess its not really a hobby anymore. I would never own one over a modern muscle car either.

I still do most of my own maintenance(solely for cash savings) which I used to think was fun but now its a knuckle busting back throwing nightmare. Just sick of it. I feel the same way about home remodeling. After redoing my first house over a period of 7 years, I just built another one and you know what? The Bank required the contractor do do almost everything. It cost more, but I was just glad I didnt have to do it. I still painted the ENTIRE EXTERIOR and most of the interior of the house and I can tell you I never want to see another paint brush. Saved 28 grand though.

Back in the day when I was single I had alot of time but not alot of money. Now I'm married with 2 kids and I have even less money and no time. If I have even an hour of free time, I'm sitting on the boat with a cold beer not killing myself in the garage. I wont even go to a car show on the weekends on these traffic pack roads around here. Its not even fun for me. Its barely even fun to drive my Challenger anymore. All I do is sit in traffic with the damn thing. I just live for those rare moments when I have a stretch of open road.

I know several people who share this view. We work too much and when we finally get a break we dont want to work anymore.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Absolutely not. I love the classics, man. I've got a soon-to-be classic in my garage right now: a 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. Sure, may not be as cool as a Cuda, Chevelle, etc. But it's an awesome car to me and I'm holding on to it. Plus, it's paid for and I don't need the extra money right now. My next vehicle investment will be (and don't you "Mopar or die" guys jump on me for this) a red 1970 Chevelle with black stripes and a black convertible top. I'm a fan of all the classics.

Reactions: CountryCane83

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Same here. I've had a '69 Charger before and loved it but I would rather have my '12 Challenger now. I don't mind doing the maintenance on it but don't want another old car that's hard to keep on the road. I like driving it every day and that's hard to do with the old cars. Don't really care that much about car shows anymore. Do like going on group drives which is also hard with the old cars. Just recently did a drive with Caffeine and Gasoline group which had everything from Vipers to M3s but nothing old in the drive. The old cars would not have kept up in some of the twisties we were blasting through.

Like others have said, married with children means not as much time to work on them. Just barely enough time to enjoy driving them.

·
Registered
515 Posts
It's been about 23 years since I have owned a classic. I miss my 1969 AMX every day. I seriously doubt I'll own another one. Too much work.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
LOve looking at them but I am soooo done working on vehicles or anything for that matter. So I guess its not really a hobby anymore. I would never own one over a modern muscle car either.
^^^^^^^

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I've had a number of classics over the years, one as recently as a couple of years ago, and after that I've decided that I really have no desire to own and maintain a classic anymore. It would be different if it were completely restored and had modern mechanicals, but having to fiddle with things all the time and the lack of amenities really killed the enjoyment for me.

Sticking with my modern classic. :D

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had a 76 Camaro in HS...and I don't miss it at all. Love the convenience/safety of modern vehicles. I really missed having a V8 sports car after selling my 97 Formula...had a few Infiniti's since then, but I'm definitely a muscle car guy. Someday I may trade her up for a Grand Cherokee SRT...but for now, I'm happy!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts