Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 SXT+/ STP and sunroof and I use it as a DD. Almost 29k.

We've had lots of rain in the mid Atlantic area recently and I noticed a little H20 on my Weathertech floor liner and really wasn't concerned until I looked under it. The entire floorboard was soaked with water up to the base of the seat. Must have been at least a quart. My first thought was the SR. The drains appeared clear, but I ran a quick test and they are draining properly, both sides.

I googled searched TSBs and there was none concerning water leaking.
I had the wife sit inside the car and I flooded the outside with a high pressure hose, and she didn't see any drips.It seems to me that its coming in somewhere near the e brake and flowing in under the floor liner.

...I'm stumped and super bummed...I love this car. It's still under warranty until the end of June 18.

TIA for any ideas or solutions about where the water is coming from.

·
Premium Member
3,322 Posts
Have the windshield checked. My parents had a car that did exactly what you describe. Windshield was leaking.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have the windshield checked. My parents had a car that did exactly what you describe. Windshield was leaking.

Thanks for responding.:thanks:

I was thinking the same thing as a possibility of the source. I've checked all around the windows and wind shield, headliner but their all dry.
Strange it should start doing this after almost 3 years of ownership. Since I posted, I used my Taclite and looked under the dash, and found no signs of leakage.

I pulled the rocker panel molding and the plastic piece behind the e-brake and did see a small amount moisture there. Maybe it is the windshield leaking at the A pillar.

I hate dealing with the dealership, but I guess I'm going to have to.

·
Premium Member
3,322 Posts
Thanks for responding.:thanks:

I was thinking the same thing as a possibility of the source. I've checked all around the windows and wind shield, headliner but their all dry.
Strange it should start doing this after almost 3 years of ownership. Since I posted, I used my Taclite and looked under the dash, and found no signs of leakage.

I pulled the rocker panel molding and the plastic piece behind the e-brake and did see a small amount moisture there. Maybe it is the windshield leaking at the A pillar.

I hate dealing with the dealership, but I guess I'm going to have to.

I'd have Safelite look at it rather than the dealership. Or if it's still under warranty ask the dealer if you can specify Safelite. Dealership's farm out the glass work.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd have Safelite look at it rather than the dealership. Or if it's still under warranty ask the dealer if you can specify Safelite. Dealership's farm out the glass work.

I'll ask tomorrow when I make the appointment. Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup:

Their calling for more heavy rain this afternoon...if it happens I'll be out in the Challenger searching for leakage. :yesnod::dunno:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had same problem on my Dodge Avenger Dealer had a hard time finding it but turned out it was the air conditioning drain hose was not draining outside car but in the interior. Talking a lot of water on a 500 mile trip.
Ron

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,986 Posts
Just a quick note regarding sunroofs. If the sunroof has drains these can get plugged or fail and allow water in the cabin. No Dodge experience but the sunroof drains in my Porsche 996 Turbo ran down between the back seat and the side panels. To get to these to check/repair/replace required considerable work to remove the interior pieces to expose these drains. Fortunately the ones in my car never leaked, were never suspected of leaking but I did some research on these for another owner who suspected his sunroof drains of leaking.

But -- I have to mention this -- I was quite diligent and avoided parking the car anywhere plant litter/trash would fall on the car. This stuff can clog those drains which are rather small.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,619 Posts
He did mention he tested the sunroof drains in his post. They drained, but no guarantee not leaking

A Guy

·
Registered
233 Posts
where does the condensate drain from the A/C coil run? Could it be leaking?
On my 14 it drains just above the transmission and falls to the ground. Not sure how it's routed, but it would definitely be something worth looking into.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
where does the condensate drain from the A/C coil run? Could it be leaking?
On my 14 it drains just above the transmission and falls to the ground. Not sure how it's routed, but it would definitely be something worth looking into.
We've had a few hard rains since I posted this and it's remained dry.

I'm thinking AC drain too. I don't recall ever seeing drainage after using the AC, but I didn't think much about it.

I have an appointment this Friday the 15th and I'll be dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow and picking up the loaner. Hopefully they'll find the issue

Unfortunately, I got the "anti-lock Traction Control" warning again :| (2nd time since I've owned it) I'll have them address that issue while its there.

I sure love this car but....................:icon_bs:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a very similar issue, but on the passenger side with a toyota camry after about 3-5 years.

Mechanic put it on a lift, poked the nose of the air hose in the A/C drain, gave it a quick blast and water poured out. After drying it up it stayed dry

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well according to the dealer, they couldn't duplicate the leak. They said the sunroof and ac were draining as they should and suggested it was from "condensation" from using the AC on the 800 mile vacation trip to South Carolina we had taken the week before I found the water in the floorboard. They said they re-flashed the HVAC controller per TSB 24-006-18 because of an issue with the "vent doors not opening/closeing correctly" and that was probably the cause.

They also replaced Right front wheel speed sensor from diagnosis code c0034-62 open circuit to fix the antilock/Traction control service warning that was lit up on the dash. This was the second wheel sensor that's been replaced. Left front replaced back in November. 2 down 2 to go I guess.:scratchhead:

I also asked that they check the outside temp sensor as its always reading the temp much lower than its actually is for 15-20 minutes and then catches up and reads correctly. They couldn't duplicate the issue.

I just hope this fixes it, and there isn't other issues any time soon.(I thinking there will be) My 3yr 36k bumper to bumper warranty is over in 10 more days.

I must give kudo's to the dealership for customer service though. I was given a 17 Chrysler 300 as a no charge loaner. Everyone I dealt with were kind, considerate and concerned about my issues.

I do enjoy this car. I enjoy driving it, sitting in it, hell even just looking at it, but I hope I don't loose my trust in it. Doing so, usually causes me to get the dreaded debt inducing "car fever" and I'll replace it in an instant. :rocker:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 15 SXT+/ STP and sunroof and I use it as a DD. Almost 29k.

We've had lots of rain in the mid Atlantic area recently and I noticed a little H20 on my Weathertech floor liner and really wasn't concerned until I looked under it. The entire floorboard was soaked with water up to the base of the seat. Must have been at least a quart. My first thought was the SR. The drains appeared clear, but I ran a quick test and they are draining properly, both sides.

I googled searched TSBs and there was none concerning water leaking.
I had the wife sit inside the car and I flooded the outside with a high pressure hose, and she didn't see any drips.It seems to me that its coming in somewhere near the e brake and flowing in under the floor liner.

...I'm stumped and super bummed...I love this car. It's still under warranty until the end of June 18.

TIA for any ideas or solutions about where the water is coming from.
@Eyeball 15 Good morning. I was curious if you found out the problem I have taken my car to the dealership two times and paid $ 2,324.00 and my car still gets soaked with water all they’ve done is seal a crack on the body with silicone this crack was under the cowl on the driver’s side. Did they fix your problem?
Would gladly appreciate any info...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts