Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out on some back roads today ripping through the 6 speed. It was cool, low humidity, maybe 70 degrees in Chicago today. The SRT was running SO well.

Every time I launched hard I would have spin and wheel hop, to be expected.
But today every time I ripped it WOT from first slamming into second as the wheels broke loose I had massive wheel hop. 4 to 5 hard hops.
Never noticed all the hop on the first to second shift when the tires broke loose.
Could it be tire pressure is too high? Maybe the ground wasn't perfectly level?
Anyone have this issue? Any suggestions on how to eliminate it. I hate wheel hop! Sounds horrible and feels even worse than it sounds......

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
...get ready for your differential to start whining. It's inevitable on the 6-speed really :)

Perhaps your tires are too high? I run about 35 warm, on regular roads my car will do awesome burnouts, right through 1st, and then a nice patch into 2nd where you can modulate the throttle to roll out of the wheelspin. It's so sweet! On a sticky surface like a drag strip, my car will axle hop. I didn't get it to drag race even though I do go a few times a year. For the most part, I like cruising like you were doing last weekend ;)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My EVIC was showing 38 and 37 for the rears. Hot of course.
Ill check them tomorrow cold in the garage and start them at 31-32. Then I should see around 34-35 hot.
Not sure if that will help but ill try it. 38 is too high.

Why the diff whine? Just the gears in the pumpkin whining? The sweet exhaust sound should wash that out!
Any mods to help wheel hop I should be looking into?

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
I was out on some back roads today ripping through the 6 speed. It was cool, low humidity, maybe 70 degrees in Chicago today. The SRT was running SO well.

Every time I launched hard I would have spin and wheel hop, to be expected.
But today every time I ripped it WOT from first slamming into second as the wheels broke loose I had massive wheel hop. 4 to 5 hard hops.
Never noticed all the hop on the first to second shift when the tires broke loose.
Could it be tire pressure is too high? Maybe the ground wasn't perfectly level?
Anyone have this issue? Any suggestions on how to eliminate it. I hate wheel hop! Sounds horrible and feels even worse than it sounds......

Just for the heck of it. Throw on some nitto 555r 305x35x20s
Every time I see one hop and go to nittos, the hop stops. ???
FlatTop

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Danner--

LOL. I just meant ripping through the gears with fast, concise shifts right at the rev limiter. Just like at the track.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
You could try to install the hop not kit, I think there is a stage 1 and 2, but the trade off is more noise with the stiffer components. I have decided against it as my hurst pistol grip short shifter has already added some noise to the cabin.

As far as why the differential will eventually whine, when you hop the rear end it puts play into I think the rear piñon bearing, not enough to make it perform poorly, but enough to make a teeny bit of noise.

·
Premium Member
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
go with the bushings to start with the stock ones are weak and many times they are torn which causes to much cradle travel. We have vendors here that have the parts your looking for. I'm not a believer in the Hop Not Kit more of a band-aid fix...IMHO :guiness:

You could try to install the hop not kit, I think there is a stage 1 and 2, but the trade off is more noise with the stiffer components. I have decided against it as my hurst pistol grip short shifter has already added some noise to the cabin.

As far as why the differential will eventually whine, when you hop the rear end it puts play into I think the rear piñon bearing, not enough to make it perform poorly, but enough to make a teeny bit of noise.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh do I wish I could trade it in for a six speed hell cat!
I will start with the bushing for sure.

What is the main reason for all the hop? Is the suspension not adequate and set up properly to handle the power??

·
Premium Member
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Oh do I wish I could trade it in for a six speed hell cat!
I will start with the bushing for sure.

What is the main reason for all the hop? Is the suspension not adequate and set up properly to handle the power??

no it's just that the rubber bushings are weak and distort under load... I also run a softer tire compound than the factory also but with a good sidewall...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok. Another aggressive drive home from work today with the tire pressure at 31 cold in the rear. Hot they were 33-34 psi.
Same thing. Massive wheel hop when it broke the tires loose from 1st to 2nd. Now its driving me nuts---

Which bushing should I swap out? Who's kit do you guys recommend?
Ordering some tomorrow. Hope it helps a little. I figure the poly bushing can be step 1.
I HATE wheel hop.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Massive wheel hop when it broke the tires loose from 1st to 2nd. Now its driving me nuts---http://www.autoguide.com/mobile

Does anyone come off the line in these cars using 2nd gear?? These things are geared so low and they start out so easily in 2nd, there's really no reason to use 1st. I haven't tried it yet, but it would eliminate that pesky 1-2 shift, and greatly reduce running into the rev-limiter.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I'll be getting the Razor's Edge (SX) tension arms and rear control arms intstalled on my car very soon. Hopefully this will solve my wheel hop problem. We'll see.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Let me know how it turns out?
Did you change your bushing??

According to Paul at RE you don't need to change the cradle bushings. He told me on the phone that his tension bars and control arms are all that is needed to control the hop.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds good. Let me know when u put them on a d your results.
I gotta do something real soon about this. Driving me nuts.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts