Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 R/T 6-Speed with 37k-miles, daily driver, original owner

These last few days, I will go and open the door/trunk and a loud clicking (almost ratchet like) sound has been coming from the area behind the instrument cluster. It last for about 5 seconds and stops until I open another door or pop the trunk, where it does it all over again. If i start the car it does stop immediately. On one occasion it has done it while driving ~40mph, but only once. This is NOT the clicking sound you typically hear after the car has been off for a while behind the radio, this is much louder to where it can be heard from outside the car.

I checked the battery this morning before starting it up and it showed 12.45V and had 14.2V-14.3V idling.

Anyone come across this before?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Are you sure it is within the dash or could it be in the fuse box under the hood? If you're not sure, open the hood, then open a door to start the sound, and run around before it quits and listen at the fuse box (black plastic box just in front of the strut tower on the passenger side). I'm thinking it could be a flaky relay inside that box. Relays sometimes chatter like that when they die and the fact that it starts when you open a door tells me that something electrical is kicking on and that's probably what is creating the sound.

Mike

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just went and checked again with the hood open to make sure. Its definitely coming from behind the dash. It is much stronger from the drivers/center side of the dash than the passengers side. From the engine compartment you can hear it through the other side of the firewall, just not as loud as when you are sitting inside.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Electric short?

·
Registered
691 Posts
It's one of the door actuators for the A/C behind the dash for either the mode, blend, or recirc door.

Work each knob individually and see when it does it...thats the one the needs replaced. And you can get to all of them I am pretty sure with the dash still in the car.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's one of the door actuators for the A/C behind the dash for either the mode, blend, or recirc door.

Work each knob individually and see when it does it...thats the one the needs replaced. And you can get to all of them I am pretty sure with the dash still in the car.
I agree with this. I just went through this with a Ford Taurus, it turned out to be the blend door actuator. Turn the air on and off and see if it makes the sound, if not change vent direction, etc. Keep going with the ac/heat dials until you can reproduce the sound. Now you can go under the dash and touch each actuator motor and you will feel the one making the noise.
A new one from Ford was $30.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like you guys were right. I put the key in aux and started messing with the dials....after quite a few runs through the knobs it started clicking. Thanks for help !

·
Registered
43 Posts
same same

I started having the exact same issue. Mine started with the temp control knob but them it happened with the door opening this morning. If it is an actuator why would opening the door have anything to do with it?? Exactly how do you reach under and identify the actuators??

·
Registered
691 Posts
I started having the exact same issue. Mine started with the temp control knob but them it happened with the door opening this morning. If it is an actuator why would opening the door have anything to do with it?? Exactly how do you reach under and identify the actuators??
They sometimes self test when you wake the BUS up...opening the door wakes the BUS up.

First find out which on is making noise.

Turn the recirculation mode on and off. If it makes noise thats your problem - remove the glove box it's on the upper right. If that one doesn't make noise move to the next.

Move temp knob. If that makes noise remove the driver side knee bolster there will be 2 actuators (they will be towards the center console - one is mode one is temp. You can put you hand on them and the one making noise will click....you can fell it.

Move mode knob. If that one clicks thats your issue. You can get to these in the car but I promise you it isn't easy...especially if you have big hands/arms. You will probably have to lay upside down on your back and tiwst your body 90 degrees then twist the opposite way another 30 degrees....you get the point you can get to them but they are kinda of hinden. I do them all the time at work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts