Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have two electric cutoff valves that I can open and close whenever I want to be loud or when I need to be quiet and they are placed right under the driver/passenger seat and I still have my factory mufflers as well so when the valves are closed it’s very quiet since the exhaust runs through the mufflers and out the back. I want to go louder but also need to be able to stay super quiet when I need to be since I live in a neighborhood. Any thoughts or ideas on how I can make this work since I know my 2017 RT challenger is limited on space under neath?

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
What's louder than basically running open headers?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,258 Posts
If you want a louder exhaust while the cutoff are closed, just delete the mid mufflers. The active exhaust will still work to keep things quiet. Or you can get HP tuners and try tweaking the active exhaust tables so the valves are open more often at off idle rpm. I have read about anyone doing this but if I had active exhaust and HP tuners I would be toying around with it.

On my 2015 RT with LT headers, high flow cats and corsa extreme cat-back (2.5" and not 2.75" like the +2017s)...my exhaust volume is the acceleration pedal...cars quiet at idle and cruise but pretty darn loud when the foot goes down.

·
Premium Member
11,570 Posts
Check out Zoomers exhaust.

It has a great rumble during start up but quiets down nicely once warmed up. When you're cruising around it's calm, but when you get on the gas it opens up and roars.

- Alexis

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,123 Posts
Assuming cutouts are before any mufflers, only way to be louder would be a cat delete

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,258 Posts
Assuming cutouts are before any mufflers, only way to be louder would be a cat delete
I would think removing cats and adding long tube headers you increase the sound level but I have read posts where folks have said the OEM log type manifolds will be louder than LT headers as the headers will "smooth out" the pulses. I can say that from personal experience that going to LT headers and high flow cats did not increase the exhaust sound levels at idle (see vid below) but at WOT there is definite increase.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,123 Posts
I would think removing cats and adding long tube headers you increase the sound level but I have read posts where folks have said the OEM log type manifolds will be louder than LT headers as the headers will "smooth out" the pulses. I can say that from personal experience that going to LT headers and high flow cats did not increase the exhaust sound levels at idle (see vid below) but at WOT there is definite increase.

Shorty to long Tube mostly changes tone, not volume. But in my opinion the longtubes are louder from inside the car because I feel like I can hear them going thru the pipes now from under me. Nothing beats the sound of longtubes at WOT tho that's for sure.

Reactions: ChallyTatum
1 - 7 of 7 Posts