Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an issue that I have had over the past year. When my foot is off the throttle and I press it down (normally) I hear this loud thud that I can feel and hear under my feet. The loudness of the thud depends on where its triggered. For example, when I'm at a stoplight and I roll into 1st gear, I hear it. The faster I roll off first the louder the thud is. Now this doesn't happen every time. Some days it is very quiet and unnoticeable, and some days its very very loud. I've taken it to the dealership a couple times to get it checked out but they told me they couldn't hear it and that its probity not something I should be worried about. I am no mechanic but I suspect the noises are coming from an issue with my driveshaft. The car only has 35,000 miles on it, but I do drive it hard and do burnouts.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,123 Posts
Drivers side motor mount is bad

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
I don't think its that, the sound is coming from under my feet
The first time mine went bad, I swore up and down it was coming from the rear-end. The car body can make sounds move around sometimes.

Based on the info you gave in your first post, it sounds a helluva lot like an engine mount to me, and since the Hemi always eats the left one first, that’s my main suspect for your noise.

There are a couple ways to visually test it, but they involve finding a helper and this and that. Sometimes you can see where the fluid has leaked out of you crawl up under there and look.

·
Super Moderator
17,463 Posts
I don't think its that, the sound is coming from under my feet
its probably the engine mount - the "thud" will transmit through the k-member which bolts to the sub-frame. This will also transmit through the driveline, such as the transmission mount, which is basically under the driver & passenger.

when you load up the driveline engine twists towards right and when you decrease the load, it falls back towards left side

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its probably the engine mount - the "thud" will transmit through the k-member which bolts to the sub-frame. This will also transmit through the driveline, such as the transmission mount, which is basically under the driver & passenger.

when you load up the driveline engine twists towards right and when you decrease the load, it falls back towards left side
That makes sense.. how do I check?

·
Registered
2018 Plum M6 Scat Pack with Shaker
119 Posts
With plenty of room in front of and behind the car...

Hood up.

A helper who knows what to look for and who knows not to get in front of or behind the car!

I'm assuming you have a manual transmission, this is easier with an automatic. Helper looks for the engine rocking as you use your right heel to hold the brake and right toe to run the gas. Left foot for clutch.

Put some torque on the drivetrain in 1st gear and see if the engine lifts on the left side. Engage reverse to test the other motor mount.

I would also check the transmission mount. Engine off, on jack stands. Use a wooden pry bar to see if the mount has play.

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
Check your U joints on the drive shaft. Worn U joints can cause a clunking sound when initially accelerating and letting off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No conventional u-joints on these drive lines. Rubber biscuits (Guibo?) do the duties for universal motion and torque transfer

Reactions: Aggiesrok

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
With plenty of room in front of and behind the car...

Hood up.

A helper who knows what to look for and who knows not to get in front of or behind the car!

I'm assuming you have a manual transmission, this is easier with an automatic. Helper looks for the engine rocking as you use your right heel to hold the brake and right toe to run the gas. Left foot for clutch.

Put some torque on the drivetrain in 1st gear and see if the engine lifts on the left side. Engage reverse to test the other motor mount.

I would also check the transmission mount. Engine off, on jack stands. Use a wooden pry bar to see if the mount has play.
We did a test where I was on an incline and would roll up and down in 1st gear while slipping the clutch with the hood open to check for knocking. There was none, but the noise was coming from under the car. I stuck my phone under and recorded this video of the driveshaft:
This sounds like a tick on the video, but in the car it sounds like a thud.

·
Registered
2018 Plum M6 Scat Pack with Shaker
119 Posts
That sound is definitely more clicky than thunky.

You wrote in your OP you drive hard and do burnouts.

Burnouts are not all that hard on the driveline (not that it is gentle), but wheel hop is hard on parts. Have you experienced wheel hop?

I am not the expert on these cars, but wondering if you have a 2-piece drive shaft. The center bearing would be something to check. And CV joints at the axles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That sound is definitely more clicky than thunky.

You wrote in your OP you drive hard and do burnouts.

Burnouts are not all that hard on the driveline (not that it is gentle), but wheel hop is hard on parts. Have you experienced wheel hop?

I am not the expert on these cars, but wondering if you have a 2-piece drive shaft. The center bearing would be something to check. And CV joints at the axles.
I have the stock driveshaft still in, and I'm and 35,000 miles. I dont launch often, but when I do I launch softly to avoid wheel hop

1 - 15 of 15 Posts