Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished a 6.4 cam install on my 2009 Challenger R/T 5.7 6 speed. I started it for the first time today and I now have a very loud ticking noise, sounds like lifter tick. Before I did the cam it was very quiet and no ticking. These are the parts I used:
Mopar 5037379BC non mds cam, Mopar performance springs #P5160074, Manley pushrods #26640, new retainers and cups. I have not tuned it yet, I need to order the tuner. Did I do something wrong? Has anybody else had this problem after the cam install? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,123 Posts
Sounds like something ain’t right for sure. Maybe identify which cylinder head the noise is coming from, pull that valve cover, and manually try to wiggle the rockers individually to see if there is excessive lash on one. If one is found, reseat the spring and retainer on it.

IDK, that’s what I’d try though.

Good luck with it, and be sure to update the thread when you get it figured out.

·
Premium Member
Charger 392
447 Posts
Check to make sure you have the correct pushrods for the cam and that you installed them correctly. You would not be the first to put the rods in backwards. (Intake vs exhaust)

Post #7 and #8 in this thread addresses the pushrods and what is needed for the spacers.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,298 Posts
I had the issue when I did my cam because I didn't soak the lifters in oil well enough so they were loud until more oil got pumped in (20-30 seconds)

Did you replace lifters? How long did it run for? If you didn't soak the lifters in oil then it's normal for them to be noisy for the first 20 seconds or so. If none of that applies pull the valve cover and check to see that all the pushrods are seated in the rockers. One time I had missed a pushrod and thought I messed something up bad but I just put it back on and it's been good ever since. Also if this is a high mileage car, and you didn't change lifters that could be your issue right there. Old lifters that are now being introduced to a lot more lift can throw them over the edge.

Reactions: Mopar 19 SP

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sounds like something ain’t right for sure. Maybe identify which cylinder head the noise is coming from, pull that valve cover, and manually try to wiggle the rockers individually to see if there is excessive lash on one. If one is found, reseat the spring and retainer on it.

IDK, that’s what I’d try though.

Good luck with it, and be sure to update the thread when you get it figured out.
Ya that's what I was thinking last night. I will pull the covers off and check everything. I will update as I go. Thanks!

I had the issue when I did my cam because I didn't soak the lifters in oil well enough so they were loud until more oil got pumped in (20-30 seconds)

Did you replace lifters? How long did it run for? If you didn't soak the lifters in oil then it's normal for them to be noisy for the first 20 seconds or so. If none of that applies pull the valve cover and check to see that all the pushrods are seated in the rockers. One time I had missed a pushrod and thought I messed something up bad but I just put it back on and it's been good ever since. Also if this is a high mileage car, and you didn't change lifters that could be your issue right there. Old lifters that are now being introduced to a lot more lift can throw them over the edge.
I did not replace the lifters, car has 21,000 miles and I am the original owner. I let it run for maybe 5 minutes then shut it down.

Check to make sure you have the correct pushrods for the cam and that you installed them correctly. You would not be the first to put the rods in backwards. (Intake vs exhaust)

Post #7 and #8 in this thread addresses the pushrods and what is needed for the spacers.

I will double check my part numbers today. I found a thread a while back with a list of parts needed, it did not have shims listed because that member did not change out the oem head. Would I need shims?

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,298 Posts
I

I will double check my part numbers today. I found a thread a while back with a list of parts needed, it did not have shims listed because that member did not change out the oem head. Would I need shims?
Did your head come with 1mm or 2mm shims?
Edit: I just realized this is an 09 so I'm willing to bet it has 2mm shims. Around Jan 28 2010 they switched over to the 1mm shim. I just found this out yesterday doing the springs on my brother's car when his 2010 had 2mm shims but my 2010 came with 1mm.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,298 Posts
You should be able to tell the difference between 1mm and 2mm, but if you need pictures let me know, his car is still apart outside rn

·
Registered
235 Posts
It's normal to hear ticking after doing a cam install. The lifters will need to fill up with oil and the ticking will subside. Before my engine dropped a valve, I heard ticking from the lifters. After rebuilding my engine, it still ticks just as loud as before. I took the lifters (Johnson Lifters) and cam out during the rebuild, inspected them and found no issues with either one. How much lift does the cam have? Did you install long tubes? Long tubes amplify the ticking. Exhaust leaks will also give you a ticking sound.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I took a short video of where the tick is coming from but I am not able to attach it. The tappets, I think that is the proper term, seem have a slight bit of play in them. Not a lot but I can wiggle them enough to make a noise. I have the rocker shaft bolts tightened to 195 in. lbs. Part of my problem is that I am not a mechanic, just a guy with more balls than brains.

Auto part Engine Suspension Fuel line Metal

It's normal to hear ticking after doing a cam install. The lifters will need to fill up with oil and the ticking will subside. Before my engine dropped a valve, I heard ticking from the lifters. After rebuilding my engine, it still ticks just as loud as before. I took the lifters (Johnson Lifters) and cam out during the rebuild, inspected them and found no issues with either one. How much lift does the cam have? Did you install long tubes? Long tubes amplify the ticking. Exhaust leaks will also give you a ticking sound.
I hope that is the case, shorty headers. I do have the exhaust on but not tightened, I will tighten it up and give it a run for a while. Thank you for the input! It is a
MOPAR 6.4L Stock 6-Speed Camshaft - 5037379BC
Intake measures .577 and the Exhaust measures .537. The duration is 286/288.

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
I took a short video of where the tick is coming from but I am not able to attach it. The tappets, I think that is the proper term, seem have a slight bit of play in them. Not a lot but I can wiggle them enough to make a noise. I have the rocker shaft bolts tightened to 195 in. lbs. Part of my problem is that I am not a mechanic, just a guy with more balls than brains.
Easiest way to share a video is to upload to YouTube and then share out the link to it there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With some luck these videos will work. One is what the engine sounds like when it is running, the other is the movement of the rocker arm and the sound it makes. Might I have used the wrong pushrods?

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
With some luck these videos will work. One is what the engine sounds like when it is running, the other is the movement of the rocker arm and the sound it makes. Might I have used the wrong pushrods?

I don't believe there should be that much lash on those intake rockers like that, but hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject will chime in and confirm or deny that.

As far as right or wrong pushrods, I don't know. If you can ascertain the specs of the Manley push rods you used, you should be able to compare them against the specs of the Mopar version. I would think those two lengths should be pretty much the same. If they are not, that could certainly be part of the problem here...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't believe there should be that much lash on those intake rockers like that, but hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject will chime in and confirm or deny that.

As far as right or wrong pushrods, I don't know. If you can ascertain the specs of the Manley push rods you used, you should be able to compare them against the specs of the Mopar version. I would think those two lengths should be pretty much the same. If they are not, that could certainly be part of the problem here...
Here are the specs on the pushrods plus the springs and retainers I used.

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
I can’t find a source for the Mopar push rods’ length spec, but their part numbers are listed as alternates for these Melling push rods on Rock Auto, so that’s a plus.

I have a set of the Mopar push rods at home, and if I were there I could just measure them myself, but I won’t be back there until Wednesday unfortunately.

For now, I’d say operate under the assumption the push rods are the correct length. Assuming they are in the correct spots (intake valves exhaust), the problem would have to be back at the rocker assemblies or lifters I would think.

You didnt replace the lifters, so unless they were allowed to sit for an extraordinarily long time and all the oil drain out, I would say they can be assumed good for now.

That would put it back to the rockers or springs. Were you able to isolate any one or two valves that the noise was coming from?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you referring to oem pushrods for the 6.4l? I will do some research on them and compare to the pushrods I bought. The car sat for about a month taken apart. I tore my achilles tendon right after I started to take it apart, not sure if that would make a difference or not as to how long it sat. I could not isolate the sound, it sounds like its coming from both sides.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,298 Posts
The parts you used are correct, I used all the same. Only difference is the retainers but I highly doubt that's the issue. I'll try to get a pic of the shims in the morning, I was busy all day so I didn't get a chance.

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
Are you referring to oem pushrods for the 6.4l? I will do some research on them and compare to the pushrods I bought. The car sat for about a month taken apart. I tore my achilles tendon right after I started to take it apart, not sure if that would make a difference or not as to how long it sat. I could not isolate the sound, it sounds like its coming from both sides.
My 2012 sits for 7-10 days between starts usually, and upon startup it sounds like yours for about 10 seconds while the lifters pump back up. I was thinking maybe yours had all the oil drain out if it sat long enough and now one or more lifter is unable to refill with oil, causing the continued noise.

Of course that would only explain the noise if true, but the reason the lifter(s) couldn’t pump back up would be the problem to solve at that point. But hell, all that’s just a guess, it may not even be the case. Just spitballing at the moment...

Listening to that first video, I thought it sounded like the left side head was making the noise, but that could just be an artifact of the video. If you’re fairly sure that both sides are making noise, that would seem to indicate the problem is something common to both sides (like mismatched or incorrect parts, or incorrect assembly), not just a problem cylinder or two like I was thinking.

If you can pinpoint the problem cylinders, that would go a long way toward ruling out or ruling in some of these hypothesesisis (sp ?)

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
171 Posts
According to Larry Shepard’s book;
Your 2009 (Eagle) has pushrod lengths of 6.6” intake, and 7.85” exhaust, and it’s the same for the 6.4L. However, the installed spring heights are different. 1.99” (Eagle) vs 2.051” Apache. I’m trying to see if there’s info on the shims. I’ll post back if I find anything.

Those Manley 26640 pushrods are .025” longer for smaller base circle aftermarket cams, which yours is not, so it seems those are definitely wrong, however I’m confused why you have increased lash if your rods are too long

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,298 Posts
Those Manley 26640 pushrods are .025” longer for smaller base circle aftermarket cams, which yours is not, so it seems those are definitely wrong, however I’m confused why you have increased lash if your rods are too long
I'm running the same pushrods, cam and springs. Pushrods are correct. Assuming they aren't any defect parts or a mislabeled box.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts