Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 challenger srt8. I want my car to be as loud as possible...but I live in California so I’m a little restricted. I have a borla atak cat back system, afe gt momentum cold air intake, and little things like a catch can, switched everything over to amsoil, 180 thermostat. any recommendations would be appreciated! I

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
621 Posts
I'm surprised the ATAK is not loud enough for you. lol

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
809 Posts
I have a 2014 challenger srt8. I want my car to be as loud as possible...but I live in California so I’m a little restricted. I have a borla atak cat back system, afe gt momentum cold air intake, and little things like a catch can, switched everything over to amsoil, 180 thermostat. any recommendations would be appreciated! I
If the ATAK isn't loud enough for you I'd say the only other option is cutouts or straight pipe. If your ATAK kit has two sets of mufflers you can delete one set but I don't think the ATAK comes with 2
Edit: looks like the ATAK does have 2 sets so you could just delete one set.

·
Registered
59 Posts
JD40, I think the Borla ATAK is similar to Dodge's stock exhaust in that it has a mid muffler and drone-cancelling J-pipes at the resonators location. It would be a shame to remove either one as it goes against what Borla engineered, plus it's going to ruin the investment the OP had made. He's better off keeping the system intact and removing it altogether while experimenting with straight pipes and a racing muffler.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
809 Posts
JD40, I think the Borla ATAK is similar to Dodge's stock exhaust in that it has a mid muffler and drone-cancelling J-pipes at the resonators location. It would be a shame to remove either one as it goes against what Borla engineered, plus it's going to ruin the investment the OP had made. He's better off keeping the system intact and removing it altogether while experimenting with straight pipes and a racing muffler.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
I agree, but it's an option if he wants it even louder and wants to maintain most of the borla system. I'm just surprised the ATAK isn't loud enough for him

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,688 Posts
So I have recently gone the route (actually gone down the path several times) of making my 2015 RT exhaust louder (LT headers, high flow cats, 3" AWE catback with and without mid muffler options) and I did not realize how loud the exhaust actually is because I only heard it from inside the car. I have gone through blastin bobs reso delete, corsa extreme (with and without mid mufflers) and AWE (with and without mid mufflers) and to be honest all seemed too quiet at idle and cruising. Well my bro recently borrowed my challenger and it was the first time I heard it the challenger running while I was an outside bystander. All I can say is it is way louder hearing it from the outside as an observer (all the vid recordings don't capture it well) compared to sitting inside the car. My suggestion is have a friend drive your car while you listen to it launch/pass you by. The problem is the insulation in the cabin does a good job keeping things quiet, even with the windows rolled down. A good indicator of this is at idle I can hear some rumble in the cabin but if I walk to the back of the car the exhaust rumble is way louder. I will also mention that if you remove the mid mufflers the cabin rumble will shift to the back of the car and to me gives the perception of a "quieter" exhaust from inside the car but it is louder from outside the car. Just some ramblings from a guy that has messed with his exhaust setup far too much to be considered borderline insane.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
899 Posts
You need a short system that dumps under the car. Maybe take everything from the mid mufflers to the back off and put on some turn-downs.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
502 Posts
California is giving tickets to Scats with stock exhaust....best of luck with your ..'I need it as loud as possible exhaust'
What? Wow CA really does make it hard to keep living there. I left years ago but to see that is ridiculous.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,692 Posts
California is giving tickets to Scats with stock exhaust....best of luck with your ..'I need it as loud as possible exhaust'
Is this something you have documentation of? When the new exhaust law was passed, there was a lot of confusion, and even people getting tickets. The db level never changed, just the police requirements. Since then I believe things have quieted down (no pun intended).

If you get a ticket, you can go to the referee station. If they confirm the exhaust is stock, they will rip up the ticket. Every manufacturer has to pass these tests to be able to sell their cars in the state, so while there may be instances when the car can exceed the limit, it isn't during the prescribed testing method.

A Guy

Reactions: RobsRTplus

·
Banned
429 Posts
Maybe it’s just your area, my scat and all my other car club scat and Hellcat never gotten a ticket, and we don’t have stock exhausts, maybe the cops in your are just trying to prove the point and be pain. I once got pulled over for speed the lady cop gave me a warning and just wrote me up for not having front plates
If your doing something dumb the cops in that area will pull over and and give you a dumb ticket like exhaust perhaps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is this something you have documentation of? When the new exhaust law was passed, there was a lot of confusion, and even people getting tickets. The db level never changed, just the police requirements. Since then I believe things have quieted down (no pun intended).

If you get a ticket, you can go to the referee station. If they confirm the exhaust is stock, they will rip up the ticket. Every manufacturer has to pass these tests to be able to sell their cars in the state, so while there may be instances when the car can exceed the limit, it isn't during the prescribed testing method.

A Guy
I agree with A Guy. I live in Los Angeles with an SRT 392, - never been pulled over. Sometimes, the unfortunate ones that get the ticket are the ones that show off. Like accelerating hard from one block to another, or putting it Track mode, - anything to show off their exhaust sound.

Sent from my LG V40 Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
366 Posts
Unless you’re running wide open straight pipes, if you’re not showing off/racing, you’re not going to get a ticket. If you’re peeling out or doing other stupid shit, you’ll get a ticket for whatever your dumb action was in addition to whatever else they can find (exhaust, tint, plates, etc). Rule of thumb, don’t draw attention to yourself by driving recklessly and you won’t be bothered. Generally. The exception is, like I said above, unless you’re running wide open pipes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an SRT with an SLP loud mouth system. Very loud and no problems with LE. Just don't show off when they are near by.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts