Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed the first love bugs today. Here in Florida, we're hit with swarms of these insects for the entire month of May and September. Their guts are acidic and will eat into the paint even with the best wax on the car. Some spray WD-40 on the front, but I can't bring myself to do that. I guess she'll be in the garage for a while.:(
Sad thing is, these things were genetically engineered in a laboratory to eat mosquitoes which they DON'T do and some Idiot set them free before they were destroyed. :scratchhead:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
When we took a drive in my in-laws motorhome back in the late 80's, those things (we called them "f-bugs" .....were so thick that I had to stop and literally "scrape" the windshield to be able to see again. I have never seen anything like it.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
This is why I am going to be getting my front bumper shielded soon. That way I don't have to worry so much about what cleaning techniques I use to get the bugs off without harming the finish.

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
My first encounter with them was on my honeymoon in Florida. I was amazed at the size of the swarms and cars getting their rooftop bug-encrusted luggage powerwashed by gas stations.

I'm glad that we don't have them in NJ. We only have big mosquitos- our "state bird."

·
Registered
558 Posts
Ahhh yes, the love bug!!

Try getting them all over your full perforated motorcycle leathers :mah:

Better to get them off immediately, the are just NASTY.

·
Super Moderator
15,972 Posts
Sounds like a good case to apply a layer of wax and keep quick detailer on hand and a couple of towels (one to remove the bug guck, another for the final wipe and light buff)

Ah the South - land of perputual bugs...heading off to SE Georgia for a surprise visit to see dad. I'm hoping for some slight breeze to get relief from the mosquitos - they attack me.

The only time I don't find bugs would be to go in the dead of winter when I would go there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lived in Florida for 9 years...those things are unbelievable. Never knew they were genetically engineered though...truly learning stuff everyday from this site :lol:

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting Snopes article. I guess it's an urban legend.
I've lived in Florida all my life. The genetic experiment gone wrong at the University Of Florida story has been circulating since I was a small child. The internet is truly a wealth of information! You'd think someone could find a way to eradicate these awful things.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I recall the bugs from when I was stationed there, and there was bunches of them. But come to Okla. and get you a dose of these June Bugs, sound like a golf ball hitting the car and spatter all over. There is a bumper crop of them this year so it's going to be bad for a while. So i guess every one has bug problems this time of year. Ronnie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts