Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just starting to see my OCD getting worse with my 2020 Scat Pack! Had my wheels powder coated black chrome a few months ago. Now I’m finding myself pulling the wheels to clean them after every weekend! On the bright side, I found that Simply Green works fantastic in cleaning off all the brake dust, then whipping them down with a clean dry microfiber towel makes them shine.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
2018 R/T 6M
225 Posts
You missed a spot... Just kidding! Looks great!!

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,761 Posts
Just starting to see my OCD getting worse with my 2020 Scat Pack! Had my wheels powder coated Black chrome a few months ago. Now I’m finding myself pulling the wheels to clean them after every weekend! On the bright side, I found that simply green works fantastic in cleaning off all the break dust then whipping them down with a clean dry Micro fabric towel makes them shine.
View attachment 1028455
Looking good!

The next time you clean them of all the brake dust, hit them with a good synthetic spray wax or ceramic spray coating. Griots Garage has a product in each of those two categories that work quite well, as does Meguiars and Turtle Wax, etc.

Going that route will will give the wheels a layer of protection going forward and make them easier to clean up in subsequent washes.

And If you do go that route, you’ll want to stop using the Simple Green as the cleaning agent, as it will try to strip any protective coatings off that you have applied. Switching over to a normal car wash soap and water solution or even going with one of the OTC wheel and tire cleaners will suffice though, so the Simple Green won’t be missed at that point.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Just starting to see my OCD getting worse with my 2020 Scat Pack! Had my wheels powder coated Black chrome a few months ago. Now I’m finding myself pulling the wheels to clean them after every weekend!
View attachment 1028455
OMG! Someone worse than me. I only pull my wheels when I change the oil so I can wash and wax the inside of them. I drove convertibles for 17 years before getting my Challenger; and, I pulled the front seats out twice a year so I could vacuum under them in a proper manner.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yep I agree with Mr. Nuke.

I use the Chemical Guys P-40, its a nice carnauba wax spray and easy on easy off and shine.
Nice wheels !
Best regards
Parrott

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
27,448 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A M6
23 Posts
OMG! Someone worse than me. I only pull my wheels when I change the oil so I can wash and wax the inside of them. I drove convertibles for 17 years before getting my Challenger; and, I pulled the front seats out twice a year so I could vacuum under them in a proper manner.
I do the same with my seats on all of my cars. 90% of the time I drive around with the windows down, bugs and all sorts of debris finds it's way under the seats. I was starting to think I was the only one. The neighbors think I'm insane.

Very nice wheels OP, worth the effort if you ask me! Then again, I'm not the one putting the effort in :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
15,561 Posts
I am just as bad. I clean my wheels after each trip to remove the Brembo brake dust. Luckily, the wide spokes on my forged SRT wheels, allow me to clean the interior part without removing them.
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
The powder coating looks great!
I just ordered a set of Tire Woolies. They work great. On a suggestion from a member here I made a cleaning stick out of a paint stir stick and microfiber cloth to reach around the brake calipers. It also works great.
Be aware, if you go with Power Stop brake pads you will give up some braking power. Around 10-15% I think. This is admitted to by the distributor.
I didn't pay for 6 piston Brembos to give up a damn thing! :p
I'll clean the dust.
Rectangle Flooring Asphalt Linens Road surface

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,619 Posts
Depends on which Powerstop Pads you go with they have several ones, also for Street Application Daily Drivers just fine.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,107 Posts
Just starting to see my OCD getting worse with my 2020 Scat Pack! Had my wheels powder coated black chrome a few months ago. Now I’m finding myself pulling the wheels to clean them after every weekend! On the bright side, I found that Simply Green works fantastic in cleaning off all the brake dust, then whipping them down with a clean dry microfiber towel makes them shine.

View attachment 1028455
Those look GOOD in black chrome. Everyone is OCD about something. Keeping wheels clean is a good thing, along with clean wheel wells.

I'm anal about clean, to a point.

I just use the local DIY car wash on the wheels. High pressure soap, high pressure rinse, and spot free rinse. Blow dry with a little blast back home.

Don't use or like other chemicals on the car, especially the rims.

30k and 5 1/2 years of just power washing.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

·
Registered
627 Posts
Those look GOOD in black chrome. Everyone is OCD about something. Keeping wheels clean is a good thing, along with clean wheel wells.

I'm anal about clean, to a point.

I just use the local DIY car wash on the wheels. High pressure soap, high pressure rinse, and spot free rinse. Blow dry with a little blast back home.

Don't use or like other chemicals on the car, especially the rims.

30k and 5 1/2 years of just power washing.

View attachment 1028512 View attachment 1028513
I learned not to use chemicals on the rims. Drive thru touchless or in the self serve booth, caused corrosion on the rims of my old 2009. I am a big fan of the self serve wash, using high pressure water or power washing, whatever you want to call it

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,107 Posts
I learned not to use chemicals on the rims. Drive thru touchless or in the self serve booth, caused corrosion on the rims of my old 2009. I am a big fan of the self serve wash, using high pressure water or power washing, whatever you want to call it
Yep, had the same issue on a couple of different cars.

Switched to just using the high pressure wash/rinse/spotless and haven't had that issue anymore.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,641 Posts
You made a Great choice on the color of your wheels! They have some bling to them while still adding to the attitude of your Challenger!

Sonax makes a Ph neutral wheel cleaner that works as good as a pressure washer (not as easy but just as good). You spray it on green and it turns red as it's having the brake dust for dinner. You have to agitate (wheel brushes, whatever you use to clean your wheels as far as tools go). I have to agree with the others too when they said that you should either ceramic coat them or at least put a good wax on them. It's a little more work upfront but less in the long run.

The Powerstop pad suggestion was also a good one because they hardly dust at all. Between the pads and the ceramic coating/wax coat on them, it'll save you considerable amount of time cleaning.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I rarely ever wash my Challenger. I clean the wheels and windows, but that's about it. I spray the body down with filtered water, blow-dry, dust-off w/California dust wand then wax. When I do wash, I cut the solution by 50% with water, or use 1/2 the concentrate.

When you get a new car, do not apply any type of coating or treatments for 6 months, as it takes that long for the finish to fully cure.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I rarely ever wash my Challenger. I clean the wheels and windows, but that's about it. I spray the body down with filtered water, blow-dry, dust-off w/California dust wand then wax. When I do wash, I cut the solution by 50% with water, or use 1/2 the concentrate.

When you get a new car, do not apply any type of coating or treatments for 6 months, as it takes that long for the finish to fully cure.
You don’t have to wait six months. They are fully cured by the time you pick it up. The only time you should be concerned about a cure time is if you had a repaint then you wait one to two months depending on the body shop.

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
"6 months, as it takes that long for the finish to fully cure"
The professional detail shop that did my ceramic and PPF at delivery disagrees with this.
And my car looks amazing.
Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire

1 - 20 of 40 Posts