Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have a 2017 RT that is up to about 25k miles, owned it since it had 41 miles on the odometer. Just joined the forum due to having an odd issue. Putting a ‘cheap’ eBay purchased backup camera system on it. Bench checked it using a 12v power supply, and it worked fine.

Looking at the listings on this site, was able to locate the backup wire on the trunk lid wire bundle (white w/green stripe) and verified with volt meter that I had 13.44v when car was running in reverse. Hooked it up to that wire, made sure I had the ground connected, and...nothing. As someone who is quite familiar working with electronics, I’m a little stumped on this. Anyone have any suggestions, like I’m connected to the wrong wire?? I’ve tried the others there just in case, no luck.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

If you haven't already, you really should read up on how the camera works using the online chilton manual.

Not sure if the radio will accept an aftermarket camera as the factory camera communicates via the BUS (probably gets a signal from the BCM to turn on) but here is the theory of operation of the stock unit

Have you looked up the wiring schematic in the online chilton manual

or the inline body connector pinout? I take it the ebay camera you bought has an RCA type plug so the center pin would tie to the camera signal (X970), the outer ring of the connect tied to (X971) and the camera cable shielding to (X972).

However, you might need to power the ebay camera by tapping into the reverse lights. For pinouts go here:

Again, not sure a simple aftermarket camera can tap into the system. Would probably be easier if you get either an OEM setup and use a Tazer to enable the feature on the radio unit (should even unlock the steering guide overlay) or use the taps provided by Zautomotive to connect an aftermarket camera.

Here is the AV cable they sell.

Have a look at the tazer instructions on how to enable a factory camera.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! That’s a lot of info to digest, but I will check thru it and let you know what I find out. Thank you very much for the reply.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
Not a problem. I am pretty sure a tazer and the AV cables will allow you to use the ebay camera. Heck if you get another camera you can have front and rear cams.

However, I don't think just tapping into the headunit via the split connector will work as I bet the headunit is not setup for a rear camera.

The tazer (also the genie from infotainment) can unlock this feature but don't know any other way to do this without a dealer scan tool.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts