Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, to start I have a 2010 Bright Silver SRT8 Challenger. Loved the car since I bought it as a Christmas present to myself in December. It is my daily driver, as there is only room for 1 car per person where I live.

The problem that arose was, while driving back from work (literally less than 1 minute from home) my TPM warn goes off, no pressures are being detected. The turn signals don't work, ESP is disabled, steering controls not working (also ABS and some other things were in the inoperable category). I check the code, U110A. The dreaded SCCM failure. I find out later even important features like the windshield wipers aren't working. So no wipers, no turn signals, no electronics, and weather says rain all week = illegal (the no turn signals, and I'm sure visibility) and dangerous to drive.

I attempted to get the car in for service at the dealership. Problem 1 was that the dealership said I would have to schedule service for Monday. That was just not possible. So they finally agree to take my car to diagnose today. Since I am at work I had to have my family do it. Being that it is raining pretty good over here, that's not possible just yet. The next issue is that I have no car, and they won't offer a rental/loaner for me while the car is unusable, even though they specifically said not to drive the car. Apparently from the posts I've seen they no longer offer rentals for warranty work. Seems a little disappointing to me, considering it's my daily and it only has 4100 miles on it.

Sorry for the rant, but I just wanted to vent. This process is a little irritating to say the least.

But, has anyone else had experience with this issue (both the U110A fault and the rental/loaner)? And I was wondering what resolutions you guys had. Seems like I am screwed and have to beg and plead with family/friends to get anywhere for the next week. Not what I was hoping for with the purchase of a brand new car.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Might want to double check with them, I've always had a rental for warranty work and my car has been to the shop 5 times. They have always tried to get me in a dodge from the rental company, but if they are out they get me in whatever they can.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll double check but they said something about neither my warranty nor the extended warranty covering rental and that a rental from them would be $35/day.

·
Registered
653 Posts
With the extended warranty I got the other day I supposedly get 35 days of rental covered under warranty. If you got an extended warranty you should probably have them check it again.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've only taking my SRT8 in once & the dealer gave me a new black 10 Challenger SE to drive. The FORD dealer where we bought my Wife's Mustang does not give loaners. Every GM dealer I've bought from has given me loaner cars.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Loaners are a dealer by dealer basis...

Hell, when I had an acura some dealers did loaners, some did rentals, some did nothing...yet, there are honda dealers they do loaners and rentals...

Its really only the luxury marques that, as part of their customer service rep, consistently have loaners on hand for warranty (and some times non-warranty) customers.

What is the SCCM failure? Biggest issue I had at around 1500-2000 miles was a short somewhere in the dash. Car would randomly shut off while driving...They discovered the short, replaced the dash, gravy ever since.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
are you working with only the dealer or directly with Dodge Customer Service? my issue was not nearly has important as yours (stitching in the seats) and they took care of me even tho the dealer told me to go pound sand

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you have extended Warranty, it includes a loaner. Read your contract, or call cust. service of Chrysler. I have extended service and includes a loaner.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sarlacc, the SCCM = steering column control module. I have seen reference to this failure on the LX Forums. Dealer told me that when this goes bad, it even reverts the brakes back to manual as well as the other things I mentioned in the first post.

I'm sure that once this is fixed, everything will be back to normal, and I'll be happy. Again, I love the car, more disappointed with the dealer response than anything. They are supposed to be the biggest and best dealer in the area, but yet my first warranty issue has me seriously thinking about switching dealerships.

aarcuda, I live 15 minutes from the dealership, but work another 15 in the opposite direction. I am currently at work so I can't really take it out now. Had a limited time where I could take it. My dad (only other person I trust to drive the car) was willing to take it in for me, but if he doesn't feel safe in the rain driving it, it's gotta wait anyway.

HEMI2NV, So far just the dealer. If once I turn the car in to them, it's fixed by the end of the day, definitely no loaner is needed. My concern is that the person on the other line says its a pretty urgent issue, but proceeds to tell me I can't get it looked at for almost a week.

Challanger51, I'll have to reread my contract when I get home.

Ultimately I want to attempt to keep a good relationship with my dealership, so I want the issue to be resolved between myself and them without "complaining" to Dodge Customer Service. But if I am still having issues I will definitely contact them.

·
Banned
557 Posts
As others have noted, most manufacturers have bowed out of giving free rentals or loaners as part of warranty work. However, many dealers are still "old school" and realize they keep customers by treating them right and will give you a rental or loaner anyhow, free of charge. To be sure, you will need to contact them ahead of time and ask.

If this fails, I would direct you to the owners manual that states...

IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE
The manufacturer and its authorized dealers are vitally interested in your satisfaction. We want you to be happy with our products and services.

Warranty service must be done by an authorized dealer. We strongly recommend that you take the vehicle to an authorized dealer. They know your vehicle the best, and are most concerned that you get prompt and high quality service. The manufacturer’s authorized dealers have the facilities, factory-trained technicians, special tools, and the latest information to ensure the vehicle is fixed correctly and in a timely manner.

This is why you should always talk to an authorized dealer’s service manager first. Most matters can be resolved with this process.

• If for some reason you are still not satisfied, talk to the general manager or owner of the authorized dealership. They want to know if you need assistance.

• If an authorized dealership is unable to resolve the concern, you may contact the manufacturer’s customer center.

Any communication to the manufacturer’s customer center should include the following information:

• Owner’s name and address
• Owner’s telephone number (home and office)
• Authorized dealership name
• Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
• Vehicle delivery date and mileage

Chrysler Group LLC Customer Center
P.O. Box 21–8004
Auburn Hills, MI 48321–8004
Phone: (800) 423–6343

Chrysler Canada Inc. Customer Center
P.O. Box 1621
Windsor, Ontario N9A 4H6
Phone: (800) 465–2001

In Mexico contact:
Av. Prolongacion Paseo de la Reforma, 1240
Sante Fe C.P. 05109
Mexico, D. F.
In Mexico City: 5081-7568
Outside Mexico City: 1-800-505-1300

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
First off, I'm very sorry that you are having such a bad experience driving a brand new car. This simply should not be happening to you. I almost bought an 08 silver SRT8 until I decided to order up my own SRT8 the way I wanted with the color I really wanted, Torred.
Anyway, it looks like you've already received a lot of great advice so I wont repeat it here except to say to please continue to be "bloody bold and resolute" regarding the intolerable situation you're dealing with. Sometimes with dealers its the squeaky wheel that gets the grease, etc. If all else fails start throwing around terms such as "Lemon Law" & the like. If they really are a good honest dealership they should be working with you to resolve the problem and not against you. Don't be afraid to be a butt head if all else fails. Never give up, never surrender.
Only other thing I can add is to take your car to another Dodge, Chrysler dealership perhaps one that is a "five star dealership". See those are dealerships that are recognized by Dodge & Chrysler themselves as being the "best of the best" with regards to all facets of the car buying experience including service.
As always, keep all your supporting documentation in case you have to go to another dealer or to court. Hopefully it wont come to that but like they say in Boy Scouts, "be prepared".
Best of luck to you and please let us all know on here how this all shakes down!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh I doubt it will even go that far. Rain had a break here so the car is going in today. I would have checked my contract to see if towing and rental were included but I didn't get home till 11, so kinda tired.

In regard to the "five star dealership", well that dealer is a 5-star dealer, as is the one closer to me. I expect them to solve the problem with the car just fine. Just kinda hoped the service relationship would've started with a little more helpfulness.

·
Registered
208 Posts
With the extended warranty I got the other day I supposedly get 35 days of rental covered under warranty. If you got an extended warranty you should probably have them check it again.
I do not believe this is the case with a Service Contract. Its not 35 days, its $35 a day. The max is 5 days, if there is an issue beyond that it is dealt with on a case by case basis.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I do not believe this is the case with a Service Contract. Its not 35 days, its $35 a day. The max is 5 days, if there is an issue beyond that it is dealt with on a case by case basis.
I signed the contract on Saturday. The deal includes 35 days of loaner over the duration of the contract which allows up to 7 days of a loaner per year at no charge.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the repair initially took them just 24hrs to do so I didn't worry about the rental. They also replaced my cracked rocker moldings under warranty so they were doing good by me. That is until the exact problem came back today just after I finished detailing the car. Hopefully they'll fix it this time or I am going to start considering the lemon law process.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I just turned the car back in to the dealership at 7:30 this morning. They weren't too happy about hearing the problem is still there.

Also, they weren't happy when I pointed out the damage to the trunk lid, which I am positive was caused while they had the car. I say this because I didn't notice it before it was taken in last, and I noticed it after I picked the car up when I pulled into the grocery store (the first drive after receiving the car). The dealership was closed when I took the car back, so I couldn't say anything then even if I wanted to. I am pretty meticulous about detailing my car, and I am aware of every blemish, so I notice new ones pretty quickly. And this is in an area where it could not have been impacted by a cart or other random object (would've hit the bumper). Plus it's in the character line of the trunk, so it's a darn hard spot to dent and chip the paint. My thought is a dropped tool of some sort.

Regardless I will keep you all posted of the progress. At the very least if anyone else encounters the issue, it may help them resolve it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts