Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Will be looking at 2 6spd blacktops at dealer tomorrow. I love this version of the R/T! Only options is blacktop so get the Trak Pak, wheels, and F1 tires....which is all I want. Plus I love the primered look of the blacktops!

I know a lot of people say "I love the looks/attention my car gets". Most of the time for me that's a negative. I like to travel under the radar. I know a Challenger inevitably is a looker but a granite gray with black wheels......well hopefully that draws the least attention in Challenger world.......vs the more colorful ones with shiney wheels. The less noticeable in parking lots the better for me.

FWIW, I test drove the Mustang GT twice. Just didn't like the ride quality. The rear end always felt jittery and tons of road noise. Camaro...price is high and just doesn't really do it for me. I think I'll like the Challenger best. But honestly it may sound weird...but my biggest concern is attention.....I don't like it. That's why I've also considered a pocket rocket like a Fiesta ST. Fun little car which no one will give a 2nd glance really.

Anyway, there are discounts and I'm going for $30K OTD including taxes and all fees. If that doesn't happen I will be Challengerless.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
The Challenger's ride quality is what sets the deal. You have impressive power, more interior room compared to its competitors and a design that will never get old. The mustang is getting a IRS with the new '15 which is coming soon as AFAIK so that will improve the ride quality but I don't know about any improvements for the road noise.

If you get a pocket rocket, you'll get bored with it really fast. Trust me on this one.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If you get a pocket rocket, you'll get bored with it really fast. Trust me on this one.
Funny...that was kind of in the back of my mind. Have you had that experience already? I'm thinking b/c unless you're sort of ringing the neck of Fiesta or FocusST, there's not much visceral thrill/feel in just normal driving.
Whereas the a Challenger R/T, you've got that distinct V8 rumble and torque which makes it a more entertaining experience overall. I know the Challenger is big.....just hope it doesn't feel like a boat.

But I'm starting to lean to a "go big or go home" attitude. A pocket rocket would be a bt if of a compromise. And I would probably keep my comfy '10 Milan 2.5 automatic and have a $20K pocket rocket on the side.
If I dig the Challenger and since it's 10K more.....I'd trade in the Milan most likely and the Challenger 6spd would be my only ride. Kinda prefer only having to deal with one car.

Otherwise...I'll just keep my Milan. Not exciting but paid for and comfy.....which accounts at least for something....I hope!:yikes:

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Funny...that was kind of in the back of my mind. Have you had that experience already? I'm thinking b/c unless you're sort of ringing the neck of Fiesta or FocusST, there's not much visceral thrill/feel in just normal driving.
Whereas the a Challenger R/T, you've got that distinct V8 rumble and torque which makes it a more entertaining experience overall. I know the Challenger is big.....just hope it doesn't feel like a boat.

But I'm starting to lean to a "go big or go home" attitude. A pocket rocket would be a bt if of a compromise. And I would probably keep my comfy '10 Milan 2.5 automatic and have a $20K pocket rocket on the side.
If I dig the Challenger and since it's 10K more.....I'd trade in the Milan most likely and the Challenger 6spd would be my only ride. Kinda prefer only having to deal with one car.

Otherwise...I'll just keep my Milan. Not exciting but paid for and comfy.....which accounts at least for something....I hope!:yikes:
Tbh, my brother bought a brand new VW R32 back in 2008. That thing handled like a dream, stupidly quick for a small car (V6 250BHP 4WD with the amazing DSG), superior build quality, All the options available back in 2008 and the most fun part was the DSG which made it the most "fun" car to drive. He sold it exactly one year after buying it because of getting bored. That was an amazing car I must say, but the usual "pocket rocket boredom" kicked in.

I don't think you'll feel that the Challenger is a tank, I love the way my R/T drives and believe me I am not biased at all when it comes to discussing cars.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tbh, my brother bought a brand new VW R32 back in 2008. That thing handled like a dream, stupidly quick for a small car (V6 250BHP 4WD with the amazing DSG), superior build quality, All the options available back in 2008 and the most fun part was the DSG which made it the most "fun" car to drive. He sold it exactly one year after buying it because of getting bored. That was an amazing car I must say, but the usual "pocket rocket boredom" kicked in.

I don't think you'll feel that the Challenger is a tank, I love the way my R/T drives and believe me I am not biased at all when it comes to discussing cars.
With all due respect, it may not have been the R32's fault. Your brother could get bored with a Challenger too.....if he gets bored easily. Here I am letting you know about your brother's inner psychological makeup...LOL.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
With all due respect, it may not have been the R32's fault. Your brother could get bored with a Challenger too.....if he gets bored easily. Here I am letting you know about your brother's inner psychological makeup...LOL.
Might have been, but then again he did also have a 1974 Pontiac Firebird, 1981 Corvette C3, 1994 Porsche 993 Carrera, 1996 Porsche 993 turbo and a 2002 C5 Z06 (498whp) all at that same time. His R32 was his DD:bigthumb:.

I forgot to mention that the R32 was the only car that lasted for one year only.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Might have been, but then again he did also have a 1974 Pontiac Firebird, 1981 Corvette C3, 1994 Porsche 993 Carrera, 1996 Porsche 993 turbo and a 2002 C5 Z06 (498whp) all at that same time. His R32 was his DD:bigthumb:.

I forgot to mention that the R32 was the only car that lasted for one year only.
6 cars? Ok......not the R32's fault.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Drove a granite blacktop. Car was AWESOME looking....and I mean awesome. Ride quality was superb especially compared the Mustang GT....night and day better. Power was good if not blow you away fast. Car does feel pretty large especially around the turns even with STP.

Bottom line, I liked it but it didn't want to make me want to shell out $30K and give up my Milan.....why I don't know....just didn't.
But I can certainly see the appeal of the Challenger. It's a very composed Muscle car....might even say refined. Luckily they didn't have any SRT-8s.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Doctor Doctor give me the news,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts