Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody cleaned out there vehicle at a local car show and just left stuff piled up around the trash can. Naturally, I poked around in the pile of junk to see if anything of value could be salvaged, and sure enough I found a synthetic chamois in its plastic case, never even opened:

Now I know enough to know not to ever use that to actually dry my car's paint due to its propensity for inducing swirls and such, but I did have an idea on how to use it as a quick cool-down aid after I've worked up a sweat washing and detailing my car. And I'll be danged if I wasn't right, I love this little thing now!! :5:

If you've got one and want to try it for yourself, here you go:
1. soak it in some water, any kind of water, doesn't matter as long as it's clean.
2. wring it out so that it isn't dripping water but not so much that it's dry anywhere - you want it damp all over basically.
3. fold it up and put it back in its container (or a big freezer bag if you don't have the plastic container anymore) and then put it in the fridge.
4. wash and detail your car (or do any strenuous exercise that raises your body temp).
5. take the chamois out and fold it however you want so that you can drape it across your head, around your neck, across your wrists, etc.
6. sit back and chill...literally!

Scoff all you want, but I'm here to tell you that when it's upper 90's in the shade (or still at night), and I throw a washing down on my car, I'm borderline heatstroking by the time I'm done. And using that chamois as a cool-down tool works and works FAST!!!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,976 Posts
Mix 1 part aromatic ammonia and 4 parts cold water for even better cooling ;)

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
13,866 Posts
Great idea to keep cool.

I have been using The Absorber for years and haven't gotten any swirls on my hemi--orange Challenger. I just hold it on two corners and slowly pull it across the surface.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm in the leaf blower camp for drying my car, but the Absorber works great for drying the errant water on door jambs and sills, pop the trunk and wipe the edge of the deck lid and the gutter, and the same up front under the hood, there's lots of traces of water left on the inner fenders, the edge of the hood, the radiator cover and such.

Keeping cool is important though, and I do have two...

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mix 1 part aromatic ammonia and 4 parts cold water for even better cooling ;)

A Guy
Aromatic ammonia??

I am not even going to bother DuckDuckGo'ing that :nono:

Besides, it seems to me that regular ole ammonia is already quite aromatic, why would anyone need to buy some specifically labeled and marketed as different due to its aroma-tisity (sp?). :confused:

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*I'm in the leaf blower camp* for drying my car, but the Absorber works great for drying the errant water on door jambs and sills, pop the trunk and wipe the edge of the deck lid and the gutter, and the same up front under the hood, there's lots of traces of water left on the inner fenders, the edge of the hood, the radiator cover and such.

Keeping cool is important though, and I do have two...
Me dos...I'm a fairly new camper to that particular camp, but I certainly like what I've been getting out of it, so I will firmly entrench myself there until something better comes along and unseats me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts