Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this video.

A guy bought a 2018 R/T (MSRP $38,975) and, four months later and 1,500 miles, he regretted the purchase. He went to Car Max and got a ridiculous $22,000 offer! As it turns out, the dealer then offered him $30,000 towards a Hellcat purchase.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Carmax is useful for you to have in your back pocket while negotiating elsewhere. I have sold one car to Carmax when their offer was higher than anyone else. Other times they were lower than market and I sold elsewhere. Their offer isn’t personal and I’m not sure why this gentleman made a video about it, they give you a printed offer and a week to decide, could not be lower pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Bought a new 2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Dec. 17, 2017. Nearly 2 months later decided I wanted a Hellcat. Took the R/T Scat Pack (with just over 2K miles) to a nearby CarMax and got an offer of $33K (I paid $38,895 (base price) + $1095 destination). Went to a Dodge dealer and used the CarMax offer, which the dealer accepted, to trade in the R/T SP for the Hellcat. Bought the Hellcat 2 months to the day after I bought the R/T Scat Pack.

I could have kept the R/T SP and maybe I should have but I just didn't have room for 3 cars and I didn't want to get rid of my new 2018 Mini JCW which I bought just 10 days after buying the R/T Scat Pack.

Curious, I searched for and found my "old" R/T Scat Pack listed for sale at the dealer where I traded it in and from which I bought the Hellcat. Dealer had my old car listed for around $38K, but the car had been on the dealer's lot for around 30 days. Had half a notion to go and offer to buy the car back for $33K, but again I'm not really set up to have 3 cars where I live.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Recently had 2 cars appraised by CarMax. My 2003 996 Turbo with 161K miles and my 2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack with around 2K miles.

Both times the process went very well. The Turbo was test driven -- with me in the passenger seat -- but the CarMax employee was not very good with the manual transmission. He didn't abuse the car any he was just not very smooth with the clutch. It is clear he seldom as in never drives a manual. I offered to drive and demo the car -- nothing crazy just run it up and down the RPM range on the freeway but he declined. After a bit of a wait I had an offer that was good for 7 days. The offer came in a bit low -- as I expected -- but a few days later a Porsche dealer gave me $2K more than the CarMax offer.

The R/T Scat Pack was not driven. The car was pristine and well, like new, it was new, just 2 months old.

The CarMax employee was kind of sharp. He spotted the signs the front hood hinge fasteners had been loosened probably to reposition the hood for better alignment. The CarMax employee then checked the radiator fasteners and other hardware up front for any signs of collision repair and found none.

(Have to admit I never bothered to check these hinge fasteners when looking over the new car. As is my custom I did run finger tip along the body gaps to check the feel and gap width, which was smooth and even. However, at the dealer checking over the Octane Red Hellcat I ended up buying I did carefully check the front hood and rear trunk hinge fasteners for any signs of them having been loosened and found no signs of this at all.)

Anyhow, after a few minutes I had a printed offer for the R/T Scat Pack, $33K, good for 7 days.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I recently traded my 2016 A8 Hellcat for a 2015 M6 Hellcat. I didn't even bother with Carmax. I had several offers from local dealers for 48-49. i also got an offer from Vroom.com for 48. I ended up trading it to a small used car dealership affiliated with a large motorcycle dealership. I got 51,500 and he had a 15 I wanted at a decent price. Trading cars is a losing proposition as that is where dealers make their money, but if you look hard enough you can get a fair deal. I wouldn't take a Carmax offer personally that's just what their computer algorithm is telling them the car is worth to them.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
As I am reading this I was thinking... "I hope everyone knows that offers to buy your car from most dealerships are low ball until you negotiate." So even if the dealer is better than Car Max I am betting you can work the dealer even more... especially if you are trading it in and the dealer's offer is off MSRP. It may be a little harder if you want a check, but it can be done. I don't know anything about Car Max, so I don't know if they will negotiate?

For example, I sold my wife's 2010 Challenger SRT-8 to a local Dodge dealership about 3 years ago. They gave me an offer of $24,000 and said that is about the best they could do. After sitting and negotiating for a couple hours I walked out with a check for $28,500. The dealership asked $32,500 for it and ended up selling it for $30,500 about a month later.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
He doesn't even know what he paid for it!!

BTW....if Carmax knows you're interested in one of their vehicles they give you a better offer. One of the first things they ask you is if you're in the market for another vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts