Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to start the car after lunch yesterday and it just clicked and seemed dead. But the dash lights, interior lights, and just about every relay in the car was clicking and blinking like mad and wouldn't stop! It was like it was shorting out in "start" mode. I kept hitting the start button to kill it but it wasn't responding. Then I hit the buttons on the fob - nothing. The trunk wouldn't open, so I popped the hood and all the relays were still clicking on and off like crazy. Luckily I was at home so I had access to tools, so I disconnected the hot lead to the fuse box and that didn't help at all. Finally, I crawled through the back seat, released the trunk, then disconnected the battery and that killed it. I would have gone through the trunk first but the car was in the garage and my other car was too close to easily get in the passenger side......

This whole process took like ten minutes and I feel like I put a years worth of wear and tear on everything that was turning on and off all over the car. The old battery was officially dead and a new one set me back $187 :eek2:

I searched for similar problems but nothing quite like this came up.

Note to self, keep a 10 mm wrench in the car to disconnect the battery in a jam!

·
Registered
2016 plum crazy purple R/T Scat Pack
1,094 Posts
Woulda been faster to hook the battery charger up and hit 50 amp boost long enough to settle things :wink3:

Mines 8 years old and expecting it to go anytime.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Electronics do weird things new or old when they are on their way out.

Old- Went to a job interview just out of high school in my 1978 Pontiac Firebird with a freshly rebuilt 350(This was somewhere in the early 90's). At the job interview the to employer asked if I had reliable transportation. Of course, had just repainted & rebuilt the Firebird. Left the job interview feeling pretty good. Get in the car & the modulator in the distributor locked & just let the motor turn over & over w/o starting. Meanwhile, like you was going nuts trying to disconnect the battery as pulling the key out of the ignition did nothing. By the time I got it stopped 10 min later I realized my reliable transportation quote was shot as well as needing a tow. Goes w/o saying I did not get the job.

Current- Drive a 2003 Peterbilt semi. When the ecm does not get the proper voltage, it shuts off the motor...while driving. An old wire or even slightly loose ground cable can trigger it. Definitely gets your attention in a hurry.

My Mom has a 2014 Malibu & the battery recently went out due to a bad cell & it reacted like yours. Thankfully she was still in her driveway at home.

Point is I wish I had a better understanding of how electronic systems work & aside from when they don't, they let all of the gremlins out. Glad you had access to some tools to get things taken care of rather quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
I went to start the car after lunch yesterday and it just clicked and seemed dead. But the dash lights, interior lights, and just about every relay in the car was clicking and blinking like mad and wouldn't stop! It was like it was shorting out in "start" mode. I kept hitting the start button to kill it but it wasn't responding. Then I hit the buttons on the fob - nothing. The trunk wouldn't open, so I popped the hood and all the relays were still clicking on and off like crazy. Luckily I was at home so I had access to tools, so I disconnected the hot lead to the fuse box and that didn't help at all. Finally, I crawled through the back seat, released the trunk, then disconnected the battery and that killed it. I would have gone through the trunk first but the car was in the garage and my other car was too close to easily get in the passenger side......

This whole process took like ten minutes and I feel like I put a years worth of wear and tear on everything that was turning on and off all over the car. The old battery was officially dead and a new one set me back $187 :eek2:

I searched for similar problems but nothing quite like this came up.

Note to self, keep a 10 mm wrench in the car to disconnect the battery in a jam!
Question, after the new battery install everything is ok ?
And how old was your battery was it the OEM one,,,

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Question, after the new battery install everything is ok ?
And how old was your battery was it the OEM one,,,
It appeared to be OEM - didn't say Mopar on it but had a part number. My car is a 2013 and I bought it in 2015 with 5k miles on it.

The car seems fine with the new battery, thank God. Things were being switched on and off probably a couple hundred times :jawdrop:

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
low voltages will trigger all sorts of weird behavior as systems will throw erroneous signals out and not complete the cycles correctly.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
low voltages will trigger all sorts of weird behavior as systems will throw erroneous signals out and not complete the cycles correctly.
The parts store tested it and only showed 6 volts.

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
lot of bad cells on that one for it to go bad that quickly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts