Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2016 SRT 392 6.4L challenger and I recently did a mid muffler and a rear resonators delete as well. I’m experiencing low end torque lost even in sport mode! Should I go back to stock ? Or should I get a tune to even out the power lost ? Don’t want to get a tune and it not resolve the low end torque lost.

P.S some factors - I live in the DFW area in TX and it’s been fairly cool lately!

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
It's all in your head. You are associating sound with torque. Your brain is telling you "it's louder it should be pulling harder".

It's pulling just as hard as it was before it's just making more noise while doing it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
As said above, it lost nothing its all mental.

My 13 5.7 is loud as hell and makes me want to roll into the gas pedal more so I don’t blast the exhaust everywhere. The result is that it feels slower because I don’t stick the gas pedal like I do in my charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,223 Posts
Actually cooler weather would make more power, not less. I'd think that you'd gain power in cooler weather instead of losing it.

My suggestion is to drive her and enjoy her while it's cooler. You might get used to the new power delivery and like it even more. The 392 makes some Serious grunt down low and to lose a little might not be bad because it might be easier to hook the power up.

I agree with OregonScat and NewoldChallenger in that maybe it's a mental thing in that you're expecting one thing and something else happens. I'm no Psychiatrist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express though! :D

One last thing is that I'll bet your SRT sounds Great with the mufflers or resonators!

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack M6
43 Posts
My last car was a mustang gt with the roush extreme cat back system. it had no mufflers at all either. It sounded like a dump truck so I put some chambered mufflers on it. I definitely gained some low end torque with the addition of the mufflers. The small low end gain was noticeable in every day driving for sure. I'm betting you lost some low end torque. A negligible amount, but enough that it's noticeable to you in every day driving. You know your car best and would be able to tell.

·
Registered
486 Posts
It's all in your head. You are associating sound with torque. Your brain is telling you "it's louder it should be pulling harder".

It's pulling just as hard as it was before it's just making more noise while doing it.
Shouldn't it work the other way around? It's louder for the same pedal travel, - I can feel the power.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Shouldn't it work the other way around? It's louder for the same pedal travel, - I can feel the power.
Depends on person.
For me, it’s louder so I’m more hesitant on the fast pedal makes it feel slower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat
170 Posts

No it's not all in his head, removing mufflers/resonators you will lose torque because you're losing back pressure which gives you torque.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I had this problem a couple challengers ago, shop put 2.5 inch pipe in middle and rear and the car didn’t feel the same. Went back and had 3 inch pipe installed and the car was back normal. Do you know what size pipe they used?

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
428 Posts
for the most part an engine does not need back pressure. What you probably running into if you indeed lost power is you need more fuel. Pulling more out of your cylinders allows more air to come in and that air needs more fuel to make your motor run at its best. Its why a dyno tune with a set of headers will about always add more power and without the tune you seldom see lots of gain. What can happen is you not only go lean but your computer then pulls out timing to prevent the detonation that the lean mixture causes. When it pulls out timing you loose power. The program in your car can adjust it to a point but it usualy doesnt do much for timing other then pull it when it sees knock and it will sense knock before you can hear it especially with your now louder exhaust system.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The stock muffler system is a pass through. Unless you change the path or the diameter it should not make a difference.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
21,738 Posts
I believe the majority of the back pressure will come from the cats

A Guy

Reactions: vincentallen2

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
713 Posts
No it's not all in his head, removing mufflers/resonators you will lose torque because you're losing back pressure which gives you torque.
Yep.

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
428 Posts
the cam is the heart of back pressure and scavenging. Valve overlap creates it. Cams are allways a compromise between low end and high end hp because of this.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,815 Posts
the cam is the heart of back pressure and scavenging. Valve overlap creates it. Cams are allways a compromise between low end and high end hp because of this.
<cough>VVT<cough> ;)

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
960 Posts
If you have a way to log knock, the exhaust may be rattling and triggering the knock sensor which will result in timing retard = less torque.

It's not lack of backpressure.

Reactions: lws43
1 - 17 of 17 Posts